Mari0 RagePack [FIRST RAGE MAP!]

Mapping related threads and questions go in here!
jecoconono

Post » 08 Nov 2013, 20:33

Hello there! So i see you want a good challenge? WELL THIS MAP IS FOR YOU! Its a rage map, i didnt even managed to finish it myself, but it is possible. Sadly right now it only has 1 level, but il add some when ill fell like it.
This map contains lazers, bullet bills, blah blah blah all that insanely hard stuff.
Current version : 0.1
RECORD A VIDEO PROOF THAT YOU FINISHED THE MAP!

DOWNLOAD HERE!

Here is a little bit of the map ;)

Firaga

Post » 08 Nov 2013, 22:28

jecoconono wrote:i didnt even managed to finish it myself
At least make sure your map is beatable before release, even if it's excruciatingly hard.
jecoconono wrote:This map contains lazers, bullet bills, blah blah blah all that insanely hard stuff.
It's not that the entites are 'insanely hard', it's that you have to use them in just the right places.
Also, from the picture you gave us, it looks more like enemy spam to me.

Feel free to take some tricks from my own mappack, if you want to add some fairness into the game, while still being teeth-wrenchingly difficult..

Welp, might as well review it.

--------------------

1-1_0 :
- Long-ass pipe, make the entrance closer to the right if possible.
- No clouds, add some scenery!
- Castle facing wrong way.
- If you're going to make a difficult map, if you have a timer active, make sure to give them a generous amount of time (maybe 500 - 600).
- If you're going to make a difficult map, give a generous amount of lives (giving them one or three to complete it is unfair, at least 20).
- Two 'entrance pipe' points, only one is needed at the bottom of the pipe.

1-1_1 :
- Pipe mismatch colors.
- Pipe on left leads to an ugly colored room.
- Blocks don't 'blend' well together with a black background.
- They can portal across.
- They can use the laser to kill all the Red Koopa Troopas by portaling the laser on the wall and then onto the Bullet Bill launchers.
- Mario doesn't respawn on the pipe.
- Next part afterwards is bland, use creativity! Faith plates, cubes, timers, let you're creativity go wild!
- Don't give people lives in such obvious spots, reward them by putting them in hard-to-reach spots in the level.

1-2_2 :
- Death zone, as stated above, it doesn't look very good.

1-2_3 :
- Mario spawns half off the pipe, coming out of the side of it.
- Blocks don't blend well on the ground staircase.
- Flag is half in the flagpole top.
- You can see the flag from the top part of the castle.

--------------------

All in all, it needs work, and I beat it in a few minutes.
Though, with my review, that doesn't mean that it's bad, it just needs your own flair to it, maybe you make you're own custom tileset (and if I'm not busy, maybe I could help you with one), something that makes your mappack say 'This was made by Jecoconono, and this mappack is mine!'.

Superjustinbros

Post » 08 Nov 2013, 23:01

If you want a custom tileset with a retro style feel free to hijack this one.
I also have to agree with Firaga; Playtesting your mappack yourself is probably one of the biggest things a map pack creator should do before publishing it.

jecoconono

Post » 09 Nov 2013, 00:05

Firaga wrote:
jecoconono wrote:i didnt even managed to finish it myself
At least make sure your map is beatable before release, even if it's excruciatingly hard.
jecoconono wrote:This map contains lazers, bullet bills, blah blah blah all that insanely hard stuff.
It's not that the entites are 'insanely hard', it's that you have to use them in just the right places.
Also, from the picture you gave us, it looks more like enemy spam to me.

Feel free to take some tricks from my own mappack, if you want to add some fairness into the game, while still being teeth-wrenchingly difficult..

Welp, might as well review it.

--------------------

1-1_0 :
- Long-ass pipe, make the entrance closer to the right if possible.
- No clouds, add some scenery!
- Castle facing wrong way.
- If you're going to make a difficult map, if you have a timer active, make sure to give them a generous amount of time (maybe 500 - 600).
- If you're going to make a difficult map, give a generous amount of lives (giving them one or three to complete it is unfair, at least 20).
- Two 'entrance pipe' points, only one is needed at the bottom of the pipe.

1-1_1 :
- Pipe mismatch colors.
- Pipe on left leads to an ugly colored room.
- Blocks don't 'blend' well together with a black background.
- They can portal across.
- They can use the laser to kill all the Red Koopa Troopas by portaling the laser on the wall and then onto the Bullet Bill launchers.
- Mario doesn't respawn on the pipe.
- Next part afterwards is bland, use creativity! Faith plates, cubes, timers, let you're creativity go wild!
- Don't give people lives in such obvious spots, reward them by putting them in hard-to-reach spots in the level.

1-2_2 :
- Death zone, as stated above, it doesn't look very good.

1-2_3 :
- Mario spawns half off the pipe, coming out of the side of it.
- Blocks don't blend well on the ground staircase.
- Flag is half in the flagpole top.
- You can see the flag from the top part of the castle.

--------------------

All in all, it needs work, and I beat it in a few minutes.
Though, with my review, that doesn't mean that it's bad, it just needs your own flair to it, maybe you make you're own custom tileset (and if I'm not busy, maybe I could help you with one), something that makes your mappack say 'This was made by Jecoconono, and this mappack is mine!'.
I already made one, i just dont want to waste 2 days on another tileset.
The title of the map is ragepack... ITS MADE TO MAKE YOU ANGRY, ITS NORMAL ALL THAT UNFAIR STUFF XD
The long pipe is just random, let my creativity roam free.
This is version 1, can you wait for scenairy?
I can't fix the rest of the stuff... its just like that! Its the tileset that does that. The castle is made to face that way, i dont have any software that can flip it upside down, know any?
Oh yeah all that insane stuff i mean stuff that makes you rage alot.
Of course there is a spam of enemies! its a rage map xD the blocks aren't ment to match neither.

Firaga

Post » 09 Nov 2013, 00:06

jecoconono wrote:Of course there is a spam of enemies! its a rage map xD the blocks aren't ment to match neither.
A death should be something someone sees coming, not because there's 30 spinies from the left of the screen.

jecoconono

Post » 09 Nov 2013, 00:07

Superjustinbros wrote:If you want a custom tileset with a retro style feel free to hijack this one.
I also have to agree with Firaga; Playtesting your mappack yourself is probably one of the biggest things a map pack creator should do before publishing it.
Ever brothered to use you're head (no offence)? even the description says you need to be a smartypants to finish it.
Use The Portal Gun Its Possible I Finished It Once

I did reach my goal tho, i made you rage :D

jecoconono

Post » 09 Nov 2013, 00:09

Firaga wrote:
jecoconono wrote:Of course there is a spam of enemies! its a rage map xD the blocks aren't ment to match neither.
A death should be something someone sees coming, not because there's 30 spinies from the left of the screen.
Hey, Its a rage map.
Its made to be like that
Try cat mario..
EDIT : The wierd room is a work in progress room, or not. Its basicaly a broken pipe circuit that mario gone in, the colors label the stuff. It leads to his death
Last edited by jecoconono on 09 Nov 2013, 00:12, edited 1 time in total.

Firaga

Post » 09 Nov 2013, 00:12

jecoconono wrote:
Firaga wrote:
Hey, Its a rage map.
Its made to be like that
Try cat mario..
Beat cat mario, and it didn't need entity spam to be hard. You needed precice jumps and 'learning where traps are as you go'.
Also, people preferably don't like entity spam, so I was just warning you ahead of time.

jecoconono

Post » 09 Nov 2013, 00:14

Beat cat mario, and it didn't need entity spam to be hard. You needed precice jumps and 'learning where traps are as you go'.
Also, people preferably don't like entity spam, so I was just warning you ahead of time.[/quote]
Still. Its my second map. And i tryed to make it as hard as i could
Btw if you wanna know how to beat it
use something thats in mari0's name....

jecoconono

Post » 09 Nov 2013, 00:29

Superjustinbros wrote:If you want a custom tileset with a retro style feel free to hijack this one.
Umm no i dont need a retro one? -.-

Superjustinbros

Post » 09 Nov 2013, 01:06

jecoconono wrote: Ever brothered to use you're head (no offence)? even the description says you need to be a smartypants to finish it.
Use The Portal Gun Its Possible I Finished It Once
Most of us know to use the Portal Gun, I'm just saying even with the Portal Gun you should still test the level before publishing it.
Explain how agreeing to someone else's comments on your mappack and suggesting proper play testing counts as "rage".
Try cat mario..
1. It's called Syobon Action, and 2. It's easy once you understand the traps and such. If you want a real rage game, try I Wanna Be the Guy or any of it's million-fan games.
Okay then. I was just making a recommendation to you, but it's your choice.

jecoconono

Post » 09 Nov 2013, 02:17

Most of us know to use the Portal Gun, I'm just saying even with the Portal Gun you should still test the level before publishing it.
Explain how agreeing to someone else's comments on your mappack and suggesting proper play testing counts as "rage".
Try cat mario..
1. It's called Syobon Action, and 2. It's easy once you understand the traps and such. If you want a real rage game, try I Wanna Be the Guy or any of it's million-fan games.
Okay then. I was just making a recommendation to you, but it's your choice.[/quote]
I was just saying that you might wanna use the portal gun to get from the pipe to the back of the bullets bill cannon, then shoot at the ? blocks quickly and come back out.

This map is basicaly a iwbg map, exept without the rediculous traps.

The rage thing is cause people speaks in a angry way.

I dont like the retro tilepack much cause the color gives me a headache, honestly.

I did test the level, i finished it.

BobTheLawyer

Post » 09 Nov 2013, 03:43

A+++ TIleset, too big to work on old computers, though, otherwise I would use it.