Villager103 Community Puzzle Pack!

Mapping related threads and questions go in here!
Villager103

Post » 03 Oct 2013, 10:23

Hello! You might not know I love playing portal mappacks made by others. But I cannot find any. ):

So all of you can post your puzzles here!

Rules:

1.No custom tiles

2.Must only use the Portal tileset by Stabyourself

3.I will test all the levels If it is bad I am NOT adding it

4.One chamber per level

5.Make the chambers as long as you like

Credits:

None yet!

If you want to be a part of this,well then Get Building!
Last edited by Villager103 on 05 Oct 2013, 22:58, edited 1 time in total.

ChrisGin

Post » 03 Oct 2013, 17:41

alright...everyone get your hours of hard work put into a single mappack and give villager all the credit... /sarcasm

Superjustinbros

Post » 03 Oct 2013, 23:07

You might not know I love playing portal mappacks made by others. But I cannot find any. ):
Search the forums better, you're sure to come across a few puzzle-oriented mappacks. Or is it only ones made from the vanilla Portal tileset?

Wilo

Post » 03 Oct 2013, 23:35

Villager103 wrote:Hello! You might not know I love playing portal mappacks made by others.
I would have never guessed.
Villager103 wrote: But I cannot find any.
Like Justin said, there's quite a long list, why not use that handy search tool? This isn't really necessary.
Villager103 wrote:Rules:

There ARE no rules!
There are so many things wrong with this. For starters, that's not very useful to those who want to help with this. You don't give us anything that helps us visualize over what we're supposed to do. How long will the levels be? How many test chambers? Sub levels? Anything? Nothing? Give us an example.
Secondly, no rules means some absolute idiot such as and not limited to the multiple aliases of WaryLouka can totally attempt to ruin the mappack with level editing and music such as trolls, general shittiness, and let's not forget vulgar content. I'm about 76% sure you're not okay with this.
Thirdly, you're taking all the credit for yourself. This is a reason that nobody will try and help you make levels. I suggest you rename it something different. By the way, community mappacks don't really seem to work here unless they are dedicated, and even then, they are extremely difficult to manage and have a slim chance of survival. Another little thing here: I've noticed that you never participate or contribute to the never started mappacks you've made threads for. I recommend you at least do something, other than ask for stuff you don't really deserve because you don't have a good reputation here on the forums. I would be probably be happy to help if you fixed some of these things.

I'm not trying to insult you, I'm trying to help you.
And by the way, why can't we use tilesets?

Superjustinbros

Post » 04 Oct 2013, 03:35

Why can't we use tilesets?
I'm going to make a guess and say so we don't have to maintain one large tileset and then people would ask things like "Why isn't there a(n) *insert tile here" and have it continually updated per request (It's not hard to add tiles, but editing or removing existing tiles is the hard part that'll screw up just about any mappack).

BobTheLawyer

Post » 25 Oct 2013, 03:00

ChrisGin wrote:alright...everyone get your hours of hard work put into a single mappack and give villager all the credit... /sarcasm
If you can organize a group mappack you deserve credit, and I can say that because I almost did it.

Also, I used to make maps without custom tiles, but they turn out horrible.
You need at least SJB's colored version.

Superjustinbros

Post » 25 Oct 2013, 04:31

Thanks Bob.

And Villager, let me demonstrate to you how a good group mappack is done right:

1. Every level is limited to both Vanilla tilesets and "insert custom tilesets here". Additional tiles will not be added.
2. All participants are allowed to create one level each with any number of sublevels allowed.
3. Levels should not extend a width of 250 or 300, and the timer must be infinite for all levels.
3a. Every level should have at least one checkpoint.
4. Levels are not required, but encouraged to be as detailed as possible, putting the tiles to full use.
5. In Portal/Puzzle levels, between two to four (five if one is really short and simplistic) rooms are recommended.
6. As levels are submitted, they will be rearranged based on difficulty. The max number of participants is 36 (covering a full 9 worlds, 8-4 will have a warp pipe leading to 9-1)
7. Warp Zones are prohibited.
8. All levels must be fair and play tested to be completable. No level will be altered by the leader of the project and will be sent back into judging so the author can re-edit it.
9. Enemy/Entity Spam as well as Kaizo traps are prohibited.
10. All participants will be given full credit.

Automatik

Post » 25 Oct 2013, 09:46

Superjustinbros wrote: 3. Levels should not extend a width of 250 or 300, and the timer must be infinite for all levels.?
5. In Portal/Puzzle levels, between two to four (five if one is really short and simplistic) rooms are recommended.There is already the rule 3 for that
7. Warp Zones are prohibited.Why?
But yeah, I would love to participate in a new community mappack, I missed the 1st.

renhoek

Post » 25 Oct 2013, 10:27

Automatik wrote:
Superjustinbros wrote: 3. Levels should not extend a width of 250 or 300, and the timer must be infinite for all levels.?
5. In Portal/Puzzle levels, between two to four (five if one is really short and simplistic) rooms are recommended.There is already the rule 3 for that
7. Warp Zones are prohibited.Why?
But yeah, I would love to participate in a new community mappack, I missed the 1st.
3. he doesn't want a timer what's hard to understand about that?
5. a typical puzzle takes about 25-40 blocks, so it would be more then 2 or 4
7. because there'd be around 30 levels with warp zones or the pipes would lead to the world you're already in.
And to be fair the first community mappack suffered from quality control seeing as there was no set rules so you're better off trying with this one anyway (though I doubt this thread's going to go far since the organizer slapped his name on the title and so far this looks like a make stuff for me thread.) @ND W8 4 M@r10 SE S0 BOSY 1$ Al1V3

Jackostar10000

Post » 25 Oct 2013, 12:40

Alright lets wait and see... Wonder what one of his two current projects will suddenly stop.

BobTheLawyer

Post » 25 Oct 2013, 12:58

renhoek wrote:And to be fair the first community mappack suffered from quality control seeing as there was no set rules so you're better off trying with this one anyway (though I doubt this thread's going to go far since the organizer slapped his name on the title and so far this looks like a make stuff for me thread.) @ND W8 4 M@r10 SE S0 BOSY 1$ Al1V3
Renhoek, I completely agree with you about the first community mappack. The lack of rules killed me in the long run.
The problem is, the more rules there are, the less people are willing to join in and make a level.
Not everyone wants to create a themed level, but it is easier for people to make their own random level.
It took me a lot of campaigning just to get those (campaigned to many map makers in the Golden age).

I can promise you, this mappack isn't going to go off the ground.
There aren't as many good mappack makers actively contributing anymore (like Baf). There are some people, but you won't fill a mappack, unless you have people triple up on levels.
Plus, Villager doesn't seem to know the least bit on how to organize this (not that I did, but I feel I did it a little better)

weee50

Post » 26 Oct 2013, 14:09

Well, I'm working on a portal clone!

Automatik

Post » 26 Oct 2013, 14:44

weee50 wrote:Well, I'm working on a portal clone!
What does this have to do with this? If you want to post your clone, you can post it in here:viewforum.php?f=11
Once you have something to show.

weee50

Post » 26 Oct 2013, 15:43

Automatik wrote:
weee50 wrote:Well, I'm working on a portal clone!
What does this have to do with this? If you want to post your clone, you can post it in here:viewforum.php?f=11
Once you have something to show.
A portal clone mappack.

Also, it's going to have one CPS (Chamber Per Sublevel, not Cookie Per Second). Is that allowed?

Automatik

Post » 26 Oct 2013, 16:18

It's your mappack, you do what you want.