Awesome Bros.

Mapping related threads and questions go in here!
Wilo

Post » 28 Sep 2013, 00:36

Hello, everyone!
This is an open demo of the mappack I am currently working on, titled Awesome Brothers. I spent quite a bit of work putting this together, but it still has its flaws, and if you see anything like that, feel free to tell me. I also take ideas.

This project has taken quite a while to create.. (even the demo) and several incarnations, which have been put in bits and pieces and eventually evolved into this.
I'd like to credit Superjustinbros for making the some of the tiles from his Super Mario Bros. Extnended Tileset, and to HugoBDesigner for the mod that this mappack uses, Mari0+Portal.
No, the tileset isn't finished, but in time, it will be. I suggest you ignore the green spaces when you're looking at the tileset through the level editor, it will be fixed soon.
Cutting to the chase, here's some screenshots.
Again, feel free to post your thoughts, questions and concerns. I'll post updates here later.
Download (Mediafire): http://www.mediafire.com/download/nvg7x ... others.zip

Things that are going to change in the next update
- New Grass Subtileset
- World 1 will be completely redesigned but will keep its mountainous theme.
- New Abandoned City Subtileset for World 2
- World 2, Abandoned City. The plan is to have this world be based on Pipe Land from SMB3, but have totally original design concepts in the levels whilst keeping a creepy tone.
- World 3, Chai Kingdom. The reason why I chose this theme is because it hasn't recurred in around 20 years or so.
Of course, I'll add throwbacks to SML.
World 4, No-Cake Desert. Did you catch the pun? Layer-Cake Desert + Aperture = World 4.
The idea here is to have a longtime ruined Aperture Science in a fissure. Fun.
I'll keep showing progress as I work.
Last edited by Wilo on 19 Apr 2015, 09:00, edited 2 times in total.

HugoBDesigner

Post » 28 Sep 2013, 06:13

Wilo, I must say: you're just awesome as a level designer! Really, very well done mappack! I see you used the (almost forgotten) coin entities in non-collideable tiles, which was great! There were some problems, of course (like not being able to pass from one level to another), but, even with them, it was very well done! Congratulations!

NOTE: Are you going/planning to add custom textures for entities/enemies? Because that'd be awesome!

OrbitalBlueprint

Post » 28 Sep 2013, 14:33

This looks great! Will definitely try it out later!

Mari0Maker

Post » 28 Sep 2013, 14:43

Great job! I did notice a bug though.
In the first level after you go through the pipe, and die in the second half of the level, you respawn at the first pipe at the beginning of the level, and immediately die. And, this kills me every time I see it, but in the title of the thread, the mod is called "Mari0 +Portal", with the space in between.
Other than that, well done!

Gramanaitor

Post » 28 Sep 2013, 16:55

Great mappack, great tileset, love it!
GLaDOS in Portal 2 wrote:There's just one small thing we need to take care of first.
I was at the end of 1-2, but I was wondering why I couldn't go through the pipe. So i went into the editor, and came across this: