Streaming game development: https://www.twitch.tv/stabyourself Image

Goomba Industries [SE]

Mapping related threads and questions go in here!
Jorichi
Moderator
User avatar
Posts: 999
Joined: 11 Feb 2012, 02:08
Reputation: 329
Contact:

Post » 12 Aug 2013, 14:46

Image
I've had this idea for this theme in mind for a while now, and though slightly altered, I really like how it came out. So I thought I should throw some salt into the open wound that is the painful wait for SE. Nah, but seriously my goal with this is to give you guys a mappack on launch that will be some kind of showcase what SE is truly capable of with a bit of creativity. Having this mappack at launch can also function as a template for your own mappacks, to see how making things like costum enemies is done and how animated tiles work. But before I continue let me give you a teaser:

Thanks to Costinteo for editing this video together and uploading it, great job!


ImageGoomba Industries:
Goomba Industries will be a factory/steampunk themed mappack. The music in the video is the music of the level. I have music like this for each world ready.
Eventhough this level is just a preview level, it does give a nice idea of how things will look.
Please note that there are still things left undone in the video, for example the empty item-block sprite. These will be edited soon.

What I have planned thus far:
The mappack will be story driven. The story goes that Mario is sent to this place by Toadsworth to find the source of the polution. They stumble upon the goomba's who seem to be working their butts off all of the sudden... why? The story will be told through the scripted animations system and its dialog boxes.

The worlds are divided into themes each theme as a certain 'style' of map and tiles.
For example World 1 (in the video) is 'Industrial Park' and is a normal horizontal platforming level with a few new enemies to meet. Nothing really hugely spectacular except for the visuals and story.
World 2 on the other hand will be 'The Mines', it will have vertical/diagonal maps downwards (and near the end diagonal/upwards) with unique enemies and an innovative way of making a map layout. The player will also find the portal gun here, which will come in handy for the worlds to come.
I have a few more themes planned but I don't want to spoil everything.
Each world will introduce its own new features and blend them with the ones you've seen before.
Puzzles and general difficulty of the levels will gradually increase this way.

Why I am posting this so soon:
While I like to throw some salt in that fresh wound, I actually want to implement creative puzzles that aren't tedious or frustrating. And I'm no mastermind when it comes to certain puzzles, especially not for creating them. So I wanted to ask you guys for any puzzle ideas you are willing to share with me regarding SE elements.
I really hope to see some creative ideas.
I'd also like some feedback on the level you see in the video.
Feedback on what you'd like to see in this is useful to me too.
I will also use this topic to post any noticeable features or other things I consider worth showing off.

Before you post anything:
I won't be answering questions about SE and please don't start any discussion regarding features that are in or not.
I won't be saying which suggested puzzle or puzzle ideas will be implemented, those which I do use are given credit in the mappack. It's simply for keeping it more of a surprise.


Thanks for reading. Have a fried-guy:
Image
(this guy is actually the checkpoint).

renhoek
User avatar
Posts: 4559
Joined: 11 Feb 2012, 10:04
Reputation: 215

Post » 12 Aug 2013, 15:06

welp I've made up my mind on the first mappack I'm playing once SE is out.
Seriously this looks much better than the flow of time.

TheJonyMyster
User avatar
Posts: 1873
Joined: 03 Sep 2012, 05:12
Reputation: 24
Contact:

Post » 12 Aug 2013, 15:13

renhoek wrote:welp I've made up my mind on the first mappack I'm playing once SE is out.

same here

Firaga
User avatar
Posts: 944
Joined: 02 Jul 2012, 16:05
Reputation: 118
Contact:

Post » 12 Aug 2013, 16:32

That's one sexy looking level.
Good job Jorichi, I'd love to play this when SE's released.

idiot9.0
User avatar
Posts: 1713
Joined: 09 Mar 2012, 10:28
Reputation: 198
Contact:

Post » 12 Aug 2013, 18:07

Gimme mappack now, so sexy~
Seriously, nice work Jorichi. I can't wait to give this a shot.

Superjustinbros
User avatar
Posts: 2101
Joined: 29 Mar 2012, 20:39
Reputation: 132
Contact:

Post » 12 Aug 2013, 18:10

My only question is when does the Portal Gun come into play?

idiot9.0
User avatar
Posts: 1713
Joined: 09 Mar 2012, 10:28
Reputation: 198
Contact:

Post » 12 Aug 2013, 18:19

Jorichi wrote:World 2 on the other hand will be 'The Mines', it will have vertical/diagonal maps downwards (and near the end diagonal/upwards) with unique enemies and an innovative way of making a map layout. The player will also find the portal gun here, which will come in handy for the worlds to come.

Superjustinbros
User avatar
Posts: 2101
Joined: 29 Mar 2012, 20:39
Reputation: 132
Contact:

Post » 12 Aug 2013, 18:55

idiot9.0 wrote:
Jorichi wrote:World 2 on the other hand will be 'The Mines', it will have vertical/diagonal maps downwards (and near the end diagonal/upwards) with unique enemies and an innovative way of making a map layout. The player will also find the portal gun here, which will come in handy for the worlds to come.


My bad for not reading the entire post. >_>
Thanks idiot.

Costinteo
User avatar
Posts: 701
Joined: 09 Mar 2013, 17:49
Reputation: 9

Post » 12 Aug 2013, 19:52

Everytime I look at it again, I'm still amazed of how awesome it is. :D

Gramanaitor
User avatar
Posts: 175
Joined: 24 May 2013, 14:34
Reputation: 2
Contact:

Post » 12 Aug 2013, 19:57

This already looks better than 0'brothers! It's a shame Mari0 se hasn't came out yet, I would love to play this!

WillWare
User avatar
Posts: 1222
Joined: 08 Mar 2012, 04:35
Reputation: 267
Contact:

Post » 12 Aug 2013, 21:19

I am more hyped for this than for some actual games coming out this year.

Wilo
User avatar
Posts: 969
Joined: 14 Feb 2013, 06:36
Reputation: 261

Post » 12 Aug 2013, 22:58

Gramanaitor wrote:This already looks better than 0'brothers!

Yes, it does! I'm surprised, only Jorichi could top 0'brothers!

TheJonyMyster
User avatar
Posts: 1873
Joined: 03 Sep 2012, 05:12
Reputation: 24
Contact:

Post » 12 Aug 2013, 23:04

Well this one is in SE so...

Costinteo
User avatar
Posts: 701
Joined: 09 Mar 2013, 17:49
Reputation: 9

Post » 12 Aug 2013, 23:06

TheJonyMyster wrote:Well this one is in SE so...


Sorry to correct you there, but Super 0'Brothers is for SE. Not 0'Brothers.

Edit: Oh sorry, I read that as "... in Se too".
I'm sorry for the misunderstanding.
Last edited by Costinteo on 12 Aug 2013, 23:14, edited 1 time in total.

Qcode
User avatar
Posts: 1466
Joined: 05 Feb 2012, 18:00
Reputation: 72
Contact:

Post » 12 Aug 2013, 23:12

I have a good idea! How about we don't compare maps we haven't ever played to maps fully released!
Not saying that there's anything wrong with your map Jorichi, it's just we shouldn't base judgements on a single video.

TheJonyMyster
User avatar
Posts: 1873
Joined: 03 Sep 2012, 05:12
Reputation: 24
Contact:

Post » 12 Aug 2013, 23:14

Qcode wrote:I have a good idea! How about we don't compare maps we haven't ever played to maps fully released!
Not saying that there's anything wrong with your map Jorichi, it's just we shouldn't base judgements on a single video.

I was thinking that too, but I realized they said "looking" so you know.

Costinteo wrote:
TheJonyMyster wrote:Well this one is in SE so...


Sorry to correct you there, but Super 0'Brothers is for SE. Not 0'Brothers.

But they were saying regular 0'Brothers look
WiloKing wrote:
Gramanaitor wrote:This already looks better than 0'brothers!

Yes, it does! I'm surprised, only Jorichi could top 0'brothers!

HansAgain
User avatar
Posts: 1135
Joined: 03 Feb 2012, 18:51
Reputation: 266
Contact:

Post » 12 Aug 2013, 23:21

GREAT MAPPACK DETECTED!
Awesome music, awesome enemies, awesome background, awesome foreground, awesome tiles, AWESOME EVERYTHING!

TurretBot
User avatar
Posts: 4686
Joined: 15 Mar 2012, 23:18
Reputation: 719
Contact:

Post » 13 Aug 2013, 01:08

Stupidity warning:
Horray, a fucking SE mappack. Just what I needed to make me starve to death.
Now, I have one more thing to look forward to. Instead of enjoying things now, I'm stuck waiting.
Yeah, I'm pissed.

Non-Stupidity starts here:
I don't know why, but I get a Speedy Eggbert feel from that trailer. This is going to be good.

BobTheLawyer
User avatar
Posts: 2240
Joined: 01 May 2012, 21:00
Reputation: 55

Post » 13 Aug 2013, 02:08

This already looks better than any other mappack ever created! It's a shame Mari0 se won't come out within 5 years, I would love to play this!

lovechild
Posts: 81
Joined: 12 Mar 2012, 03:30
Reputation: 0

Post » 13 Aug 2013, 03:46

BobTheLawyer wrote:It's a shame Mari0 se won't come out within 5 years

You could help with programming if you're so inclined and potentially halve that time.

Superjustinbros
User avatar
Posts: 2101
Joined: 29 Mar 2012, 20:39
Reputation: 132
Contact:

Post » 13 Aug 2013, 04:00

lovechild wrote:
BobTheLawyer wrote:It's a shame Mari0 se won't come out within 5 years

You could help with programming if you're so inclined and potentially halve that time.


Or help Maurice program the online part of SE.

HugoBDesigner
User avatar
Posts: 2124
Joined: 19 Sep 2012, 02:23
Reputation: 679
Contact:

Post » 13 Aug 2013, 09:41

Great work on this mappack, Jorichi! You really know what you're doing. For sure this will be the first mappack I'm gonna play when SE come out!

Jorichi
Moderator
User avatar
Posts: 999
Joined: 11 Feb 2012, 02:08
Reputation: 329
Contact:

Post » 13 Aug 2013, 12:22

Wow, didn't expect such positive reactions. Thanks guys!
However, I think the biggest charm of it is the new features put to use.
I'm sure when SE is out people can and will easily surpass this (or at least hope so).
But I will stick to my plan and hopefully that won't let you guys down, which I doubt.
I will make sure to keep you guys updated on this.

Assasin-Kiashi
User avatar
Posts: 652
Joined: 07 May 2012, 10:21
Reputation: 267
Contact:

Post » 13 Aug 2013, 12:28

Jorichi wrote:So I thought I should throw some salt into the open wound that is the painful wait for SE.


JORICHI THAT'S NOT SALT THAT'S FIRE D:

But seriously, that is amazing.

BobTheLawyer
User avatar
Posts: 2240
Joined: 01 May 2012, 21:00
Reputation: 55

Post » 13 Aug 2013, 13:04

lovechild wrote:
BobTheLawyer wrote:It's a shame Mari0 se won't come out within 5 years

You could help with programming if you're so inclined and potentially halve that time.

Maurice would never let me touch his code.

Superjustinbros
User avatar
Posts: 2101
Joined: 29 Mar 2012, 20:39
Reputation: 132
Contact:

Post » 13 Aug 2013, 14:30

Jorichi wrote:Wow, didn't expect such positive reactions. Thanks guys!
However, I think the biggest charm of it is the new features put to use.
I'm sure when SE is out people can and will easily surpass this (or at least hope so).
But I will stick to my plan and hopefully that won't let you guys down, which I doubt.
I will make sure to keep you guys updated on this.


You're the luckiest man on the forums ATM, since not only were you made a moderator, but Maurice handed you the SE beta. Also, what you're doing is killing any interest I could have into creating my own mappacks that aren't ports of something that already exists and was being remade to allow greater playability.

It's unfair how 99% of us can't have access to SE's beta so we can try to make mappacks that mostly exist for the artistic side. I've waited a year plus to finally finish A0zora and deal with all the negative feedback I got. I've made my preparations and it all went to waste. And I also wanted to further prove you don't need scenery porn to make a mappack that becomes the holy grail for others on the site.

If this mappack used SMB1 textures, I reckon it wouldn't be as well-received.
Last edited by Superjustinbros on 13 Aug 2013, 14:41, edited 1 time in total.

TurretBot
User avatar
Posts: 4686
Joined: 15 Mar 2012, 23:18
Reputation: 719
Contact:

Post » 13 Aug 2013, 14:40

Superjustinbros wrote:
Jorichi wrote:Wow, didn't expect such positive reactions. Thanks guys!
However, I think the biggest charm of it is the new features put to use.
I'm sure when SE is out people can and will easily surpass this (or at least hope so).
But I will stick to my plan and hopefully that won't let you guys down, which I doubt.
I will make sure to keep you guys updated on this.


Well, it's mostly for the scenery porn, and since you're the luckiest man on the forums ATM, since not only were you made a moderator, but Maurice handed you the SE beta. Also, what you're doing is killing any interest I could have into creating my own mappacks.

Seriously, it's unfair how 99% of us can't have access to SE's beta so we can try to make mappacks that mostly exist for the artistic side. I've waited a year plus to finally finish A0zora and deal with all the negative feedback I got. I've made my preparations and it all went to waste.

If this mappack used SMB1 textures, I reckon it wouldn't be as well-received.


I'm all on board with the complaining!

Yeah, I agree, if it weren't for the graphics this mappack wouldn't be doing so well.
So horray, this mappack has great scenery. I guess graphics really do = gameplay.

Additionally, this doesn't actually make me feel any better about the wait for SE if that's what you intended. (Salt on the wound?)
In fact, it just makes the wait worse. Add that to the fact that the wait is worse every day it's not released, and you, Jorichi, realize just how lucky you are.

Not to hate on the mappack, of course. If I tell you it's going to be great I wouldn't be lying. But I have to agree with SJB, this is unfair.
Last edited by TurretBot on 13 Aug 2013, 14:51, edited 1 time in total.

Costinteo
User avatar
Posts: 701
Joined: 09 Mar 2013, 17:49
Reputation: 9

Post » 13 Aug 2013, 14:49

So Turret, you're basically saying that if the graphics are so good they exceed your expectations, that means the gameplay of the mappack is shit?

First of all, you can't even know about the gameplay yourself, because you didn't play it. The gameplay shown in the video looks EXTREMELY fun. Not only it starts out with the first level using a whole lot of new features from the SE, but it uses the correct enemies for the difficulty arch he's using and most of the mappack are using.

Your point is that if it's using SE and good graphics, it means it's shit. What are you thinking? How can you be so excited for SE to actually complain about a mappack that uses its features?

And for a final note, I say it again. Jorichi and Baf are on the beta team, so stop complaining for not getting a beta. It's not a big deal anyway. Go make your own Mari0 Special Edition if you think you're so cool you need to get a beta. Maurice is putting hours making that game for us and he's trying his best to fix all flaws we've found and you repay him by hating on him for not releasing it earlier.

TheJonyMyster
User avatar
Posts: 1873
Joined: 03 Sep 2012, 05:12
Reputation: 24
Contact:

Post » 13 Aug 2013, 14:55

Costinteo wrote:Your point is that if it's using SE and good graphics, it means it's shit. What are you thinking? How can you be so excited for SE to actually complain about a mappack that uses its features?

I think that costineo has an SE because he doesn't get it.

Costinteo
User avatar
Posts: 701
Joined: 09 Mar 2013, 17:49
Reputation: 9

Post » 13 Aug 2013, 14:58

I don't have a SE and I'm fine with it.

TurretBot
User avatar
Posts: 4686
Joined: 15 Mar 2012, 23:18
Reputation: 719
Contact:

Post » 13 Aug 2013, 14:59

Since you don't quite get it, I'll translate.

Yeah, I agree, if it weren't for the graphics this mappack wouldn't be doing so well.
So horray, this mappack has great scenery. I guess graphics really do = gameplay.

Sure, the gameplay might be better than every other mappack around, but if he had used SMB1 textures, nobody would be praising this mappack so much.

Additionally, this doesn't actually make me feel any better about the wait for SE if that's what you intended. (Salt on the wound?)
In fact, it just makes the wait worse. Add that to the fact that the wait is worse every day it's not released, and you, Jorichi, realize just how lucky you are.

The wait for SE is painfully large and this mappack isn't helping. Also, metaphors aren't my thing

Not to hate on the mappack, of course. If I tell you it's going to be great I wouldn't be lying. But I have to agree with SJB, this is unfair.

It's not going to be a bad mappack.

Costinteo
User avatar
Posts: 701
Joined: 09 Mar 2013, 17:49
Reputation: 9

Post » 13 Aug 2013, 15:04

Turret Opera wrote:Sure, the gameplay might be better than every other mappack around, but if he had used SMB1 textures, nobody would be praising this mappack so much.


You know why? Because graphics, music and the gimmicks used are a very important part of the mappack. Of course it wouldn't be as good if it had SMB1 textures, now stop bringing that argument.

The creator worked on graphics hard, as he worked on the mappack, that's why it makes the mappack better.

Flutter Skye
User avatar
Posts: 1718
Joined: 08 Apr 2012, 17:54
Reputation: 789
Contact:

Post » 13 Aug 2013, 15:08

Can you all please bring that argument to the Chat Room ?
This mappack looks really awesome. I'm not sure if i'm going to play this, or Super 0'Brothers when SE comes out .

Costinteo
User avatar
Posts: 701
Joined: 09 Mar 2013, 17:49
Reputation: 9

Post » 13 Aug 2013, 15:09

I wouldn't even continued it if Turret or Jony still didn't understand.

I'm stopping.

TheJonyMyster
User avatar
Posts: 1873
Joined: 03 Sep 2012, 05:12
Reputation: 24
Contact:

Post » 13 Aug 2013, 15:13

Costinteo wrote:I wouldn't even continued it if Turret or Jony still didn't understand.

I'm stopping.


Don't bring me into this, I was talking about the wait part. I was just saying it seemed like you had SE already because you don't mind waiting for this mappack. Seriously, Jorichi even said it with that salt on the wound thing. I might have quoted a bit too much of your post though.
I'm done now sheesh

TurretBot
User avatar
Posts: 4686
Joined: 15 Mar 2012, 23:18
Reputation: 719
Contact:

Post » 13 Aug 2013, 15:13

does that mean I win? because you forgot to argue to my other argument.

renhoek
User avatar
Posts: 4559
Joined: 11 Feb 2012, 10:04
Reputation: 215

Post » 13 Aug 2013, 15:15

So what, I have a dlc mappack in mari0 but you don't see me complaining that I can't update that.
also
Jorichi wrote:I won't be answering questions about SE and please don't start any discussion regarding features that are in or not.

TheJonyMyster
User avatar
Posts: 1873
Joined: 03 Sep 2012, 05:12
Reputation: 24
Contact:

Post » 13 Aug 2013, 15:17

Well that's not what that meant, that's like asking "Jorichi, will it have vertical scrolling? Because I didn't see any in the video."
this is completely different AND over.
New subtopic:
will it have vertical scrolling
What's holding up those plant things? Currently they are floating.

Costinteo
User avatar
Posts: 701
Joined: 09 Mar 2013, 17:49
Reputation: 9

Post » 13 Aug 2013, 15:19

TheJonyMyster wrote:What's holding up those plant things? Currently they are floating.


You mean the floating islands? They have propellers.

TheJonyMyster
User avatar
Posts: 1873
Joined: 03 Sep 2012, 05:12
Reputation: 24
Contact:

Post » 13 Aug 2013, 15:24

Except the ones at 0:48 (aka the ones in the video preview thing)

Costinteo
User avatar
Posts: 701
Joined: 09 Mar 2013, 17:49
Reputation: 9

Post » 13 Aug 2013, 15:31

He probably forgot to put propellers on those ones, but that's pretty much what was meant to be. ;)

But good eyes, I didn't notice those.

Jorichi
Moderator
User avatar
Posts: 999
Joined: 11 Feb 2012, 02:08
Reputation: 329
Contact:

Post » 13 Aug 2013, 15:54

Alright SJB, I'm going to be completely honest with you in this post, so please read it carefully:
Superjustinbros wrote:Well, it's mostly for the scenery porn, and since you're the luckiest man on the forums ATM, since not only were you made a moderator, but Maurice handed you the SE beta. Also, what you're doing is killing any interest I could have into creating my own mappacks.

First off I want to say that becoming a moderator is more of a burden then anything else, you get responsibility resting on your shoulders. It's no high and mighty status in any way, I'm just a janitor of the forums, I clean the fucking mess people make.
I'm by far the luckiest man on the forum, I lost three quarter of my family in a SINGLE MONTH. I'm struggling with my relationship and jobs. But I simply find a form of comfort in this forum. For as far as I am aware nobody knew this (including Maurice and Sašo), and nobody should, I don't want to create sympathy. My 'luck' may seem good at your end, but please don't tag that word on my head. It makes me cringe.
But all these setbacks will only make me stronger, I learned to keep fighting for what I want to accomplish but I will do that without asking for anything.

Also, you shouldn't be looking at other people's mappacks when creating your own, stick to your own idea or see them as a challenge to surpass. Go with what you like.

Superjustinbros wrote:Seriously, it's unfair how 99% of us can't have access to SE's beta so we can try to make mappacks that mostly exist for the artistic side. I've waited a year plus to finally finish A0zora and deal with all the negative feedback I got. I've made my preparations and it all went to waste.

I'm still completely baffled that you fail to see the responses as constructive criticism instead. Take that criticism as tips and suggestions, which they mostly are.
You map didn't fail in any way, in fact it's one of the best mappacks I've played. And I think many people here would agree. It may have an aspect that could need some changing, but every mappack does.
What the trailer shows is an extremely simply platform level, just dressed up like a whore and bending over. All I was doing was showing what kind of theme I was going for and what customization could do. I was simply hoping people would get creative ideas to plan out, guess I was wrong...

Superjustinbros wrote:If this mappack used SMB1 textures, I reckon it wouldn't be as well-received.

Yes it's scenery porn, that's basically what I was trying to say in the post you quoted. But wouldn't that pretty much go for every single mappack with a platform section?

I don't hate you, dislike you or have any negative thoughts about you. I see you as one of the best mappack makers on this forum and I actually look up to you together with a few others. So this comes as a huge surprise to me.
I hoped I could make a mappack that would simply inspire, help and introduce people to what's to come. A sort of template.
I didn't want to 'kill anyone's motivation or spirit' to keep creating and designing mappacks, I simply wanted to help... That's what I like to do, that's what makes me happy.

What do you think this post did to my motivation though?
I feel bad enough for killing your spirits now that I could cancel this whole project, is that what you want me to do? Because the only thing keeping me from it are the people who I would let down. I'm willing to help you out with A0zora (if you'd want that, 'cuz I hate it to see it going down the drain), but I can't give anyone SE, as that is up to Maurice ofcourse (why I got it is actually still a mystery to me and yes I do realize how lucky I am for receiving it).

I really don't know what to do now... no matter what I'd do next I'd let someone down.
I just hope you understand both sides of the story here, if so then I'd be pleased.

Anyways; Sorry.
Also, It'd be wise to continue discussing this in PM's instead of this thread. I posted it here so everyone can know my side of it (for I had a hunch more people thought I was just rubbing it in their noses).


TheJonyMyster wrote:Except the ones at 0:48 (aka the ones in the video preview thing)

Ah, damn. That must be a mistake on my part, sorry.

TurretBot
User avatar
Posts: 4686
Joined: 15 Mar 2012, 23:18
Reputation: 719
Contact:

Post » 13 Aug 2013, 16:10

Jorichi wrote:Alright SJB, I'm going to be completely honest with you in this post, so please read it carefully

1. Why don't you want to respond to me? Is it because I'm 'always' joking? Because I'll be serious if you want me to.
2. Don't update the map. Don't give any sort of update on what's to come in this mappack. This way, everyone wins: People still get this mappack, and SJB doesn't have to hear about it, and neither do I.
3. At least being the janitor is better than being prime president of the observable universe, I mean, you get extra privileges. :P

TheJonyMyster
User avatar
Posts: 1873
Joined: 03 Sep 2012, 05:12
Reputation: 24
Contact:

Post » 13 Aug 2013, 16:17

Jorichi wrote:
TheJonyMyster wrote:Except the ones at 0:48 (aka the ones in the video preview thing)

Ah, damn. That must be a mistake on my part, sorry.

No worries, compared to that huge wall of text that's... well it's a sentence.
Speaking of the wall of text, I just read it to professor layton music and was pleased with the results.
I will be playing the mappack when SE comes out, with or without any or all of the replies in this thread.

Also I'm surprised nobody's mentioned the music.
Is it original? If not, where's it from?
Last edited by TheJonyMyster on 13 Aug 2013, 16:27, edited 1 time in total.

renhoek
User avatar
Posts: 4559
Joined: 11 Feb 2012, 10:04
Reputation: 215

Post » 13 Aug 2013, 16:20

Turret Opera wrote:
Jorichi wrote:Alright SJB, I'm going to be completely honest with you in this post, so please read it carefully

1. Why don't you want to respond to me? Is it because I'm 'always' joking? Because I'll be serious if you want me to.
2. Don't update the map. Don't give any sort of update on what's to come in this mappack. This way, everyone wins: People still get this mappack, and SJB doesn't have to hear about it, and neither do I.
3. At least being the janitor is better than being prime president of the observable universe, I mean, you get extra privileges. :P

1. You're not the centere of the universe and you haven't got the reputation that sjb has (it was surprising when SJB was complaining, when you did we all saw it coming because you feel entitled to everything.)

2. Yeah it worked for SE and no one's yelling for updates, This mappack has nothing to do with SE aside from using a few of it's features. This thread isn't "haha I can do this and you can't" it's showing what Jorichi's working on and if you can't accept that don't click this thread and whine about it like an idiot (why not tell Maurice to stop updating and doing live streams as well?)

3. If you think you were ignored because of you're jokes than why did you say this?

Sašo
Stabyourself.net
User avatar
Posts: 1387
Joined: 06 Jan 2012, 12:07
Reputation: 343
Contact:

Post » 13 Aug 2013, 16:34

This got stupid really fast.

Superjustinbros wrote:
Jorichi wrote:Wow, didn't expect such positive reactions. Thanks guys!
However, I think the biggest charm of it is the new features put to use.
I'm sure when SE is out people can and will easily surpass this (or at least hope so).
But I will stick to my plan and hopefully that won't let you guys down, which I doubt.
I will make sure to keep you guys updated on this.


You're the luckiest man on the forums ATM, since not only were you made a moderator, but Maurice handed you the SE beta. Also, what you're doing is killing any interest I could have into creating my own mappacks that aren't ports of something that already exists and was being remade to allow greater playability.

It's unfair how 99% of us can't have access to SE's beta so we can try to make mappacks that mostly exist for the artistic side. I've waited a year plus to finally finish A0zora and deal with all the negative feedback I got. I've made my preparations and it all went to waste. And I also wanted to further prove you don't need scenery porn to make a mappack that becomes the holy grail for others on the site.

If this mappack used SMB1 textures, I reckon it wouldn't be as well-received.


The beta is about as unfair as it's always been. There's no waiting lists to join and no application form, and there really isn't any evidence of the beta group existing on the inside. That's how it's supposed to be. It might seem prude to just let  \\THE CHOSEN//  ones into it and not someone dependent on their skill but so far I haven't had anyone walk up to me metaphorically and say "hey maybe you guys should add x to the beta team he can do craaAAAaazy mappacks". I'm reffering to IRC in this specific case since that kind of thing is to be thrown in a public channel (not on the forums though).

The killing interest argument is a bit silly. You can already do a lot with custom mappacks and you probably know that better than anyone. However, what you made and how you dealt with the feedback is completely your thing. And you're saying it went to waste - it didn't. Who says the mappack has to wait for SE apart from you? And scenery porn will become less impressive with SE since it'll be easier to do. And don't bother making a holy grail, you'll never make that, nobody ever has and nobody ever will. You're bound to find people who absolutely had the SMB campaign, even if they were to like other maps.


So what about textures? This is a mappack that right now everyone judges on how it looks, and 95% of that is literally the custom textures. Sure it looks nice, but for all we know it plays like ass. Yeah, it wouldn't be that well received if he just used SMB tiles and threw in some SE entities that were already seen by everyone.


Try being less bitter maybe, I'm sure everyone would appreciate that. And just to be clear, the reason why you aren't in beta is because of things like this, which, if I recall correctly, Maurice finds horribly obnoxious so he started completely ignoring you. But hey, maybe if he reads this post and and then tells me that's incorrect, you might suddenly just find yourself in the beta. The unbanning of FP went something like that so it's not unlikely.
(Don't ask to be added, though.)

Jorichi
Moderator
User avatar
Posts: 999
Joined: 11 Feb 2012, 02:08
Reputation: 329
Contact:

Post » 13 Aug 2013, 16:35

Turret Opera wrote:
Jorichi wrote:Alright SJB, I'm going to be completely honest with you in this post, so please read it carefully

1. Why don't you want to respond to me? Is it because I'm 'always' joking? Because I'll be serious if you want me to.
2. Don't update the map. Don't give any sort of update on what's to come in this mappack. This way, everyone wins: People still get this mappack, and SJB doesn't have to hear about it, and neither do I.
3. At least being the janitor is better than being prime president of the observable universe, I mean, you get extra privileges. :P

1. Sorry, I didn't read the complete flood of posts. And after I read it I was seriously doubting whether it was serious or just a joke.
But to answer your 'question': I'm simply trying to make a mappack that could serve as help for you when you get the chance to create your own and something to play right off the bat from launch. You could download this to see how everything is put together and what all the functions are that are made available, together with showing you some creative things you can make.
I didn't realize people were this impatient. I mean, how do you deal with the Blogposts? If it really bothers you this much, can't you just ignore the thread?
2. Then how am I supposed to get feedback for graphics and puzzles and such?
3. What renhoek said. It's always a guess whether you're joking or serious, perhaps I'm just stupid... but text doesn't transfer tone of voice or anything.

TheJonyMyster
User avatar
Posts: 1873
Joined: 03 Sep 2012, 05:12
Reputation: 24
Contact:

Post » 13 Aug 2013, 16:39

Now that that's settled, I'mma be a huge jerk and quote my question so it gets attention/an answer.
TheJonyMyster wrote:I'm surprised nobody's mentioned the music.
Is it original? If not, where's it from?

Costinteo
User avatar
Posts: 701
Joined: 09 Mar 2013, 17:49
Reputation: 9

Post » 13 Aug 2013, 16:42

Jorichi said in the IRC that he found it somewhere, but it took him a lot to find it.

He never mentioned where he found it though.

As to some of the ambient things, like the steam/deep ambience/pump sounds/electricity that were in the video, they were found on Youtube.

Jorichi
Moderator
User avatar
Posts: 999
Joined: 11 Feb 2012, 02:08
Reputation: 329
Contact:

Post » 13 Aug 2013, 16:47

TheJonyMyster wrote:I'm surprised nobody's mentioned the music.
Is it original? If not, where's it from?

I found a guy on youtube after about two hours of searching, he had a link to a download somewhere which had a set of 10 songs. I'll look him up again soon (I need to credit him) and post a link for you guys.


Return to “Mapping”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Infinity48 and 2 guests