Bowser Science

Mapping related threads and questions go in here!
Pixelworker

Post » 10 Aug 2013, 11:39

Welcome to Bowser Science! Bowser has found a hidden facility with very interesting equipment in it, but who should test all this equipment? Good that he has captured a perfect Lab Rat: Mario. Mario must now use his brain, his famous jumping skills and a portal gun to solve Bowser's Tests, escape this deadly facility, and rescue the princess!

This mappack focuses on the use of the ASHPD with Aperture Science testing elements. Its difficulty is very progressive, ranging from easy at the beginning to hard at the end. It is made in a way it should be impossible to lock yourself anywhere without the possibility to carry on or kill yourself.

This mappack features:
- 8 Worlds with 32 Levels
- A total of 38 tests
- Full use of the portal gun
- Custom Tileset and custom backgrounds
- Death Traps, views behind the scenes and many Ratman Murals
- Easter Eggs!

If you find places where you can lock yourself or connections which don't appear to work as intended, please report them, if you have problems with a particular level or are stuck, don't hesitate to PM me, if you really can't find the solution.

I'd like to thank a few persons for providing tiles I used in my mappack:
- Maurice (of course)
- Alphaorionis, the author of the DLC mappack 'A Portal Tribute'
- cavejohnson99, the author of the mappack 'Old Aperture'
- Baf, the author of the mappack '0'Brothers'

Worlds:
- World 1: Getting started
- World 2: Fun with Mobility Gels
- World 3: Plates 'n Lasers
- World 4: Bad Feng Shui
- World 5: Companion in Science
- World 6: The Betrayal
- World 7: Ancient Chambers
- World 8: Showdown

And last but not least, here come the download links:

1.6 Download

SE Download

And here's another version with uses the multiple custom music mod for 1.6 made by worldpeace to play some awesome portal and portal 2 soundtracks, it lags a bit when you start it, but it should be fine after a few seconds:

Modded Download

You can get the mod here.

Now with Trailer video!

(If it doesn't load on your browser, you can also watch it directly on Dropbox here)

Screenshots:
Last edited by Pixelworker on 06 Sep 2019, 12:49, edited 13 times in total.

Costinteo

Post » 10 Aug 2013, 14:17

Haha! I love the concepts you added to your mappack. Especially the Bowser Laboratories logo.

Anyways, welcome to the forum. I'm gonna play your mappack and tell you what I think of it. ;)

EDIT: It's pretty well made, I've only got the time to play the first world, but I enjoyed it. The only things that annoyed me are the black blocks on the black background and the clouds, hills and bushes on the portal background. Other than that, it was pretty good.

Gramanaitor

Post » 10 Aug 2013, 23:36

I just finished playing it. This is probably now one of my favorite puzzle mappacks! Good job Pixel!

HugoBDesigner

Post » 10 Aug 2013, 23:43

Man, I have to say, you made a great artwork in this mappack! I'm trying it now! And welcome to the forums, we hope you stay!

Mari0Maker

Post » 11 Aug 2013, 00:14

This is one amazing mappack! Good job! :)
And, welcome to the forums!

Pixelworker

Post » 11 Aug 2013, 13:09

I'm very glad you all liked it!
Costinteo wrote:The only things that annoyed me are the black blocks on the black background and the clouds, hills and bushes on the portal background.
1. The Black-on-Black-proplem is present on a few computers, but not on mine, so I didn't really noticed it when I did the mappack. Try changing your screen settings, that could help.
2. The background accessoires are intended to give the player the feeling of a simulated mario environment, so I don't regret adding them. However, they only appear in the normal testing levels, which are about 35% of the mappack.
But still, thanks for all this positive feedback! :)

Pixelworker

Post » 09 Dec 2013, 15:32

Sorry for the Double Post, but I've updated the mappack.
Changes:
- Some minor level design changes
- Changed the music in the modded version, now it's smaller and the music files are loopable

OrbitalBlueprint

Post » 18 Dec 2013, 15:45

I was stuck at world 1-4 a long time ago, so I just ragequitted the map. Yesterday, I tried it again and it then seemed like a piece of cake. I really love this mappack!

Pixelworker

Post » 18 Dec 2013, 18:50

OrbitalBlueprint wrote:I was stuck at world 1-4 a long time ago, so I just ragequitted the map. Yesterday, I tried it again and it then seemed like a piece of cake. I really love this mappack!
Believe me, there are going to be even more difficult tests. By the way, I played the demo of your Subject 128, and the design of the black and white panels remind me of mine (Apart from the dots in the corners, which make them look more metallic). Coincidence? (Okay, that sounded a bit invasive, but don't take me too seriously, you can use whatever you like)

OrbitalBlueprint

Post » 18 Dec 2013, 19:35

Pixelworker wrote:
OrbitalBlueprint wrote:I was stuck at world 1-4 a long time ago, so I just ragequitted the map. Yesterday, I tried it again and it then seemed like a piece of cake. I really love this mappack!
Believe me, there are going to be even more difficult tests. By the way, I played the demo of your Subject 128, and the design of the black and white panels remind me of mine (Apart from the dots in the corners, which make them look more metallic). Coincidence? (Okay, that sounded a bit invasive, but don't take me too seriously, you can use whatever you like)
It has definitely inspired me!

Lettuce_Goat

Post » 14 Oct 2015, 09:05

i try to download it but it says there is a 404 error and i cant get it

Technochips

Post » 14 Oct 2015, 12:10

It's normal, you just bumped a old thread that was made in december 2013, so that's why there is a 404 error, it's old.

Pixelworker

Post » 18 Oct 2015, 19:44

Lettuce_Goat wrote:i try to download it but it says there is a 404 error and i cant get it
Sorry, I've quit my google drive account and forgot to re-upload the files. But don't worry, the unmodded download link works again. (I've also added a SE version, which has slight changes so it uses at least some of SE's features)