(very basic) Guide on switch combinations [1.6]

Mapping related threads and questions go in here!
lovechild

Post » 10 Aug 2013, 09:57

I am likely to have botched this up so please enlighten me with suggestions as to how I can improve this guide.
[Text only]

After trial and error, I feel confident enough to present this (rather basic) guide on combining switches. Note that you can always add more switches and triggered items to a chain, but it isn't a good idea if you are taking a puzzle seriously to product solutions like "BOXES ALL OVER" or some silly crap like that. Here's all you need to know;
C: Clock
I: Inverter
T: Trigger
E: Event
/1, /0: State (0=off)

Clock does what it obviously does. Inverters are used to change the output of an item. Triggers are buttons, panels etc, and events are what happens after the trigger (sometimes indirectly linked to other triggers).

My observations are based on laser systems. For the clocks, a self-killing laser system was used so then event invokes the trigger and turns the laser off.

So here's your basic on/off switch with two items linked to a button;

T1 > E1/0
T1 > I/0 > E2/1

Trigger (button) is pressed, event 1 (say, a laser) is turned off. Event 2 (say, another laser) is turned on from the same trigger. These lasers can then be connected to panels for fail-active or fail-inactive elements in a puzzle. Pressing the button again does this;

T1 > E1/1
T1 > I/1 > E2/0

Here's a timed off switch (What I call a "CIC" switch):

T > C1/1 > I/1 > C2/1 > E/0

Why two clocks? The first clock is necessary to "Hold" the pulse. Unless someone can enlighten me on how else I can make a timed off event work, two clocks is the way it has to be done. So after the first clock, the event state is triggered, then held for a duration of time. Here are some effects with a self-killing laser I observed when I was tinkering around with CIC:

T > C > I > E; Trigger keeps the clock going non-stop if configured so when laser hits panel, event switch occurs. But it happens so fast, the laser isn't visible -- Until it kills you, of course.

T > I > C > E; Trigger keeps the clock going non-stop, blah blah, except the opposite happens when the event and trigger are hooked up in reverse with the IC switch -- The laser goes non-stop, with extremely short breaks.

The next combo is a timed on switch, (what I call an "ICI" switch)

T > I1/0 > C > I2/1 > E/0

Remember how T > I > E keeps an event off until triggered? Same thing here, except this time, we have a default off state with I2, but I1 will reverse that. So when I1 turns on, I2 goes off. Because I2 is off, the event, whatever it may be happens after a duration of time is activated by the trigger. Good for events where Mario has to do something quick or die.
Last edited by lovechild on 11 Aug 2013, 15:17, edited 2 times in total.

TheJonyMyster

Post » 11 Aug 2013, 03:51

Visual type people would like some screenies or something please

HugoBDesigner

Post » 11 Aug 2013, 04:28

You're welcome:

Images representing Triggers, Events, Inverters, Clocks and Links (red letters means "Off", and green means "On"):
Last edited by HugoBDesigner on 11 Aug 2013, 10:10, edited 1 time in total.

TheJonyMyster

Post » 11 Aug 2013, 05:38

I meant like ingame silly
but those are very nice

HugoBDesigner

Post » 11 Aug 2013, 06:40

TheJonyMyster wrote:I meant like ingame silly
but those are very nice
I know what you meant, but this way is easier to understand, since this way we don't specify what kind of Trigger/Event it is...

lovechild

Post » 11 Aug 2013, 07:55

I'll quit being lazy and spruce up the thread with a combination of screenies and those fantastic images, beginning work on Sunday. I still need to know for those that aren't confused about the text whether or not the text-only guide is right.

I believe I have the right order but I ought to be sure before I commit images.

Edit: I lied. PC difficulties are holding me up. I'll get to it when I can.