Kai's Journey [Demo, Version 0.2]

Mapping related threads and questions go in here!
Kai

Post » 03 Jul 2013, 12:35

Image *Remember, the "CHANGE LOG" is constantly updated to show progress! Also, sorry for mild inactivity; computer problems are a thing, nowadays.
Kai's Journey (abbreviated as just "Kai") is a long mappack, using the "Infinite Things! (Infinite Music-Sublevels-Worlds)" mod to create many worlds!

However, I'm not quite there yet!

The soon-to-be extensive mappack is a mildly funny twist amongst normal "Mario" levels, sometimes featuring things you don't quite expect! It is a somewhat challenging adventure throughout the Mario universe... "At least, MY version!" Experience Kai's Journey through what he'd see in an enjoyable game! The initial release will (hopefully) bring a hint of nostalgia to the mix, having you laugh to yourself while feeling like a person who triumphs over things! Funny and nostalgic things, mind you.

16 Worlds are planned. Two of them are completed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fD7e3Fr5 ... e=youtu.be
World 2 Complete! Watch the creation!

Note: It is highly recommended to play the mappack using the "Infinite Stuff" mod. (Link below mappack download) There are multiple custom songs in use. And yes, I plan to use different music on EVERY stage (with exceptions, like intermissions), so the mappack may be bigger than normal, granted I don't know by how much.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

CHANGE LOG (Careful, lad! There may be more text than ye bargained for!)

Code: Select all

2nd Alpha Demo Version 0.2 [Latest Version]:
++ Used Audacity to alter music volumes and timing issues (Underwater themes will ALL be the Bubble Man remix, except for the last one, which is probably going to be on the second-to-last world)
++ Working on "specific additions" (not implemented in this version)

+ FINISHED World 2 and figured out World 3
+ Made a .zip file and a .rar file
+ Colors tileset and backgrounds implemented
+ New videos for Version 0.2
+ Over 18 awesome custom songs so far (In the mappack, not all are yet in use; some music may be removed entirely, like most of World 7)

= World 7 (Electric) is planned to contain many portal puzzles.
= Plan to make remaining stages at least 50 blocks longer than averagely before
= World names may not be constructed until the Beta version rolls around
= Most backgrounds are set. 2-3 and 2-4 do not have backgrounds in this version
= Replaced World 1-1's overworld/underworld music

- Looping is poor on World 1-3's castle section

Code: Select all

Alpha Demo Version 0.1 (1st Phase of Action)
+ Started Mappack "Kai"
+ First world completed (Snapshots!)
+ Landscape self-approved (a hint of "realistic hills")
+ Troll-y parts that are meant to make you laugh instead of yell (You'll love what I did at the end of 1-4.)

= Happy with at least half of the custom songs in use
= First world easy
= 10 or more maps to go
= Stages may be relatively short
= Secret warps that lead to blank levels (One can be found in a snapshot above! One can be found "thinking with portals," one can be found thinking "outside the pipe," and one can be found if you love to find clever connections between stages.)
= Funny intermission scene can catch you off guard, perhaps confuse you greatly.

- The "Infinite Stuff" modification is most likely mandatory for the full experience thus far. This mod may not be compatible with certain mods.
- Mediocre castles
- Lack of thinking with portals (There are some spots you should use the portal gun, if you want 'dem bonuses.)
- A potential bug at the end of 1-2, if you're Small Mario. (Should not affect overall gameplay.)
- Inconsistency of relevant background music (Not a big problem.) 
- Uninteresting backgrounds (for now)
- Some inexperience
- Unequal volume levels between songs (May or may not be a problem)
- Original entities and graphics, no themes or additional scenery (I need to find some of 'dem things.)

Overall, it's a proto-prototype. And I'd like your feedback/critique to help me make a better map, if things aren't going smoothly in the first place.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Thanks for the support thus far!
*Thanks to ibiss for the Infinite Stuff Mod, superjustinbros for the Colors tileset, and to Mari0Maker for the backgrounds and overall assistance.

WinRAR File: Download (2nd Demo [Latest Version]): http://www.mediafire.com/download/5agbc ... m0/Kai.rar

.zip File: Download (2nd Demo [Latest Version]): http://www.mediafire.com/download/rlucz ... cz/Kai.zip

Don't forget to check out ibiss' Infinite Stuff mod! viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3391
Last edited by Kai on 21 Jul 2013, 13:41, edited 14 times in total.

Camewel

Post » 03 Jul 2013, 15:07

You don't need to do all that to install a mappack, just press "m" on the mappack select menu to open the mappack folder.

Also, this looks interesting, I'm going to make sure to check it out.

Gramanaitor

Post » 03 Jul 2013, 15:10

This looks very promising. I'll check it out. Welcome to the forums!

Mari0Maker

Post » 03 Jul 2013, 18:29

Posted 03 Jul 2013, 12:29
This looks good, keep it up!
And you should put up a download for a .zip file, because not everyone has 7zip or WinRAR. Most people do (like me), but some don't.

I'll play it and edit this post to criticize in a few moments.

EDIT: Played it. It seems pretty good. All I really want to criticize is really just the modability.
Anyways, the music choice is good. I enjoyed the DuckTales Moon Theme. :)
On problem with it though is that some of it is too loud, and dosen't fit with the game volume.
Another problem I noticed is in 1-3, the castle music starts like 5 seconds after you enter the castle. Both of these problems can be fixed with a program like Audacity or Goldwave. Personally, I use Goldwave, but you can use one you like.

Backgrounds are basically a must for this mappack. If you are planning to have a long mappack, you'll need some backgrounds (yes, I know you're adding them, too).
If you want me to, I can make simple backgrounds (mainly gradients, but I can make other types).
I also am hoping you add custom tiles, sounds, and graphics. I can make a title screen if you'd like one, too.

Anyways, someone else probably would have to criticize the mappack, because I'm not too good with mappacks. :P
I'm the moron who made the backgrounds and edited the mod!
Last edited by Mari0Maker on 29 Jul 2013, 22:17, edited 2 times in total.

Kai

Post » 04 Jul 2013, 01:58

Mari0Maker wrote: If you want me to, I can make simple backgrounds (mainly gradients, but I can make other types).
I also am hoping you add custom tiles, sounds, and graphics. I can make a title screen if you'd like one, too.
Sounds fantastic.

However, I'm not an expert on editing the files. I'm pretty sure I can TRY to add custom sounds, but I'm a little iffy on tiles. I'll figure those out. A title screen sounds great.

Worth a shot, right?

Mari0Maker

Post » 04 Jul 2013, 03:08

Yes it is. :)
Just PM me the kind of background you'd like. Here are what the simple gradients look like.
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3364
I can make other backgrounds, but I'm not good at pixel art. In other words, I can use sprites from other games and make a background out of that (like chains hanging from a ceiling).
As for sounds, tell me what sounds you'd like for stuff like jumping, collecting a coin, beating a level, completing the mappack, etc.
And for the title screen, I can do that. I would be a nice touch if you can find the original sprite of this image (the guy in the red):
If you can't supply it, I can still make a good title screen.

Once again, just PM (private message) how you want everything done.

Superjustinbros

Post » 04 Jul 2013, 06:17

Isn't that a Final Fantasy character?

Anyways, if you're looking for a tileset, you're welcome to use any version of my "Colors" tileset from eons ago viewtopic.php?p=16300#p16300 or my accurate SMB1 tileset rip. http://i913.photobucket.com/albums/ac33 ... 37a7aa.png

If not, take a look at the Tileset Repositorium.

Kai

Post » 04 Jul 2013, 07:41

Superjustinbros wrote:Isn't that a Final Fantasy character?

Anyways, if you're looking for a tileset, you're welcome to use any version of my "Colors" tileset from eons ago viewtopic.php?p=16300#p16300
Hey, I really like this one! Might be old, but it has some wicked potential! Thanks!

(And yes, the character is a Red Mage from the first (American) Final Fantasy. I think.)

ibiss

Post » 12 Jul 2013, 17:54

I will create a 2nd Version of my mod in a .love (For people with the infamous warping bug) to download my infinite stuff (only a mix of 2 mods) and a New DLC with big mappacks like A0zora or This.
Last edited by ibiss on 12 Jul 2013, 17:55, edited 1 time in total.

Mari0Maker

Post » 12 Jul 2013, 17:55

ibiss wrote:I will create a 2nd Version of my mod in a .love (For people with the infamous warping bug)
Upload the .lua too, or at least say what .lua was edited to fix it.

ibiss

Post » 12 Jul 2013, 17:58

Mari0Maker wrote:
ibiss wrote:I will create a 2nd Version of my mod in a .love (For people with the infamous warping bug)
Upload the .lua too, or at least say what .lua was edited to fix it.
I doesn't know about the warp pipe lua (But I found the solution, merge my lua files in the Infinite Worlds and Sublevels .love or Open Infinite Worlds and Sublevels with the lua files in Mari0 folder) (I only know this, but i don't know about the warp pipe lua)

ibiss

Post » 19 Jul 2013, 11:13

Kai wrote: World 2 Complete! Watch the creation!
:) Kai, Your mappack will be in my Infinite Stuff mod (possibly when you finish Kai's Journey I will add this in my mod) )