[FINISHED] Mariolander

Mapping related threads and questions go in here!
Gallas [HU]

Post » 01 Jul 2013, 20:42

Hey everyone!
Here my latest map-pack:

Story: Mario takes some part-time job in the Mushroom kingdom's harbor, when the cargo ship sinks in a storm. He's the only survivor (at least he think), but his portal gun is damaged unfortunately. It's not able to shoot with it, but can take aim (will be useful).
He has to find somebody who can fix his portal gun, in order to be allowed to leave this new place. While he reveals the secrets of this area…

Download Link

- 8 worlds
- 32 levels
- 15+ bonus sublevels
- 40+ custom backgrounds
- 1 000+ custom tiles
- 1 custom music
- basic mario game style, with some extras
- It's harder than avg map-pack, but infinite time on levels. (except  7-1 )

Screenshots from every world (NO spoilers):
World 1:
World 2:
World 3:
World 4:
World 5:
World 6:
World 7:
World 8:
Here the tileset (feel free use it):

Good luck, and have fun:)

Last edited by Gallas [HU] on 07 Apr 2015, 22:48, edited 2 times in total.

Camewel

Post » 01 Jul 2013, 20:58

Oh wow, this looks really cool. Good job!

Superjustinbros

Post » 01 Jul 2013, 21:00

Before I jump into this, I'm going to say this looks like it took a lot of effort judging from the number of tiles and detail in the backgrounds.

I guess it can help not to post demos and just get to revealing a map pack when it's finished.

EDIT: Playing it now and up to 1-3. Good so far, just a couple of invisible blocks in cheap locations where enemies are just waiting for you (but this is minor) and the non-solid clouds in 1-2 should be more distinguishable from the solid clouds.

1-3 probably did my favorite gimmick in this game so far: A custom entity that doesn't require modding. A fire bar with fewer than six fireballs. And the T tile to stop lasers and block off the tops of levels (rather than the basic Invisible Blocks we've been using).

Sky

Post » 01 Jul 2013, 21:40

I'm officially nominating this for "Best Mappack of 2013."

Also, I didn't know about the firewall length either! And then I figured out that I could modify entity.lua to show these extra lengths, and it'll still play in vanilla Mari0... This just opened up a whole new world.

Mari0Maker

Post » 01 Jul 2013, 23:31

Wow. This looks absolutely beautiful. Great job!
I would make a video of this, but I can't record sound, and this deserves it. :)

TheSeek

Post » 02 Jul 2013, 00:42

I didnt played it entirely, but nice mappack so far.
Also, the setting, power-ups into the eggs, that short fire bar used as a flame...Wonder Boy/Adventure Island? On a related note, it's weird that Superjustinbros didnt notice(or didnt mention) this.

Superjustinbros

Post » 02 Jul 2013, 00:46

TheSeek wrote:I didnt played it entirely, but nice mappack so far.
Also, the setting, power-ups into the eggs, that short fire bar used as a flame...Wonder Boy/Adventure Island? On a related note, it's weird that Superjustinbros didnt notice(or didnt mention) this.
I knew it was Adventure Island/Wonder Boy, just didn't really bother to write it. :/

Gallas [HU]

Post » 02 Jul 2013, 20:55

Superjustinbros wrote: the non-solid clouds in 1-2 should be more distinguishable from the solid clouds
It's part of the difficult. You have no time on any map (except  7-1 ), so you can check with broken-gun which is safety, if you can't see the minor difference.

Superjustinbros wrote: A fire bar with fewer than six fireballs. And the T tile to stop lasers and block off the tops of levels
I thought that this is a known trick already:O But I am glad, because I can still show new one:)

WillWare wrote: I'm officially nominating this for "Best Mappack of 2013."
Oh stop it you

Superjustinbros

Post » 02 Jul 2013, 21:47

I actually was investigating the solidity of the clouds with the Portal Gun when I first played 1-2 (and on 1-1 I remembered I had one, since normally I don't play many maps that require a portal gun).

As for the firebars, this is the first mappack on the forums that has firebars set to widths other than 6 or 12.

alesan99

Post » 02 Jul 2013, 23:08

This mappack is plain awesome because it looks pretty and has new things that I have never seen in a mappack before! How did I never think about changing entities in the .txt files, now I can finally make 195 width platforms. Not only that, but you made some coins solid.

TurretBot

Post » 02 Jul 2013, 23:21

alesan99 wrote:This mappack is plain awesome because it looks pretty
woah it's 0'brothers!

Superjustinbros

Post » 02 Jul 2013, 23:44

Gallas, if you don't mind, would you be able to do a tutorial topic on how to modify platforms and firebars so they can have longer/shorter lengths?

TurretBot

Post » 02 Jul 2013, 23:58

Superjustinbros wrote:Gallas, if you don't mind, would you be able to do a tutorial topic on how to modify platforms and firebars so they can have longer/shorter lengths?
Go into entities.lua, and scroll down t where you see a bunch of

Code: Select all

entity(word, #, #, #, #)
Notice one of them is

firebars(length, 6, 12)
Add as many numbers as you like. Play the game, and you should see more numbers when you right click firebars.

TheJonyMyster

Post » 03 Jul 2013, 01:19

What happens when someone tries to edit them without the modified version?

TurretBot

Post » 03 Jul 2013, 03:18

blankness!!

TurretBot

Post » 03 Jul 2013, 03:20

Superjustinbros wrote:As for the firebars, this is the first mappack on the forums that has firebars set to widths other than 6 or 12.
One short of the first mappack to use custom platform widths. (I think... LEG0 Racers has a 4 block long platform.)

Gallas [HU]

Post » 03 Jul 2013, 10:20

Superjustinbros wrote:Gallas, if you don't mind, would you be able to do a tutorial topic on how to modify platforms and firebars so they can have longer/shorter lengths?

Yeah sure, do what you want. It's no need programming skill, just check the .txt file in map-pack folder.

I did it like this:
- put a fire texture (it's tile-code example 246)
- put a firebar (6 or 12 no matter, but you will know what you did) it's code example 79
- save it :)
- go to map-pack folder and open the level's.txt file
- change (CTRL + H for me)
- typed this: ,246-79-6 under it ,246-79-1
- change all
- save it, go back, done

What it did?

All firebars resized from 6 to 1 if it's on fire texture.
The code of fire texture was important for me, because without it, it's change everything from 6 to 1. With full code it's only change the firebars in fire texture.

Platforms same, but you will need to know, it's hard to find where and what you want change to custom size, I did in whole map, and manually turned back others.
Turret Opera wrote: Go into entities.lua, and scroll down t where you see a bunch of

entity(word, #, #, #, #)
Notice one of them is

firebars(length, 6, 12)
Add as many numbers as you like. Play the game, and you should see more numbers when you right click firebars.
This way edit the game, my way edited the level. But this looks more useful, because this not need repeating.

Qcode

Post » 03 Jul 2013, 16:00

Last edited by Qcode on 21 Oct 2021, 18:19, edited 1 time in total.

TurretBot

Post » 03 Jul 2013, 16:12

Qcode wrote:1)Your grudge against the portal gun. Let it go. This mappack wouldn't be nearly as hard if I got to use it, and I probably wouldn't have quit after 8 levels.
Replace the tileset in the mappack with this one:

Camewel

Post » 03 Jul 2013, 17:28

After QCode's scathing review, I felt I had to try it, and honestly it's really impressive. Good balance of enemies and powerups, some parts are irritating but it just makes them all the more satisfying to beat them. This is a great mappack.
Qcode, your issue is that you're bad at the game.

Qcode

Post » 03 Jul 2013, 17:40

Gramanaitor

Post » 03 Jul 2013, 18:15

Everything QCode said I agree to:
Qcode wrote:I tried this out and got to world 2. I was doing a level by level analysis, but I just had to quit at world 2.
First of all a bit of overview. You really lied in the first post.
Gallas [HU] wrote: - basic mario game style
- gets harder gradually (from super easy to hardcore)
This mappack commonly avoids how the SMB mappack played out, you had no axes next to bowser, and you commonly used portal entities. Not saying this is a bad thing, but that just wasn't expected. The portal entities weren't used correctly either, considering many of the faith plates catapulted you to death.
This mappack does in no way have a good difficulty curve. It starts out hard and gets incredibly harder. Overall in my play through of the first two worlds I had 104 deaths. I'm given 9 lives. No fair at all.
My level by level analysis:
1-1: This level was a brutal first level. I lost 4 lives on this level, all due to the silly block by block jumping bit. I understand you were simulating the ship sinking, but you could have made it a tiny bit easier. Also that castle at the beginning was annoying to navigate. Only continued because of the rave reviews by other forum members. Also star on level with no enemies?

1-2: Again, not super easy like you stated. I'm down to one life at this point. Major annoyances were invisible blocks to trip you up at checkpoint 4. Died 3 times at those. That kind of crap only happens in lost levels. Hoping it gets easier before I rage.

1-3: And invisible block hits me with the turtle shell. Way too trusting of me. Dead, setting infinite lives cheat to on, and skipping back to try again.

1-3 Take two:5 deaths. I'm noticing none of your blocks are portable, which is pretty annoying. Feel like you're still trying to keep the "no portal gun" aspect of mario exploration alive. Slopes are annoying too, but mostly only going up. Level was pretty easy which was nice too see. It is kind of scary seeing all these types of enemies in the first world, hoping that there's no entity spam later. Also piranha plants out of the ground? Weird.

1-4 16 DEATHS. There's fire everywhere in these levels. It's absolutely insane how annoying that is to die 8 times on the same part because there's podoboos, fire bars, bowser fire, and spiny's all on one screen. It's crazy.

2-1 12 deaths. Fucking cheep cheep walls? That's just mean. I couldn't even get past those with big mario, so I don't see your point of placing a mushroom right before them. Cheep cheep spam everywhere in this level. 7 deaths here. Then you throw two hammer bros right next to each other, without giving me a power up. Lovely.

2-2 6 deaths. Again with the piranha plants out of the ground. And also again with the hammer bros. And again with the invisible clouds. This level wasn't too bad, it was still pretty damn hard though. Not getting much inspiration at this point, but continuing on anyway. Huge platform was an original idea. That was pretty fun.

2-3 19 DEATHS. I know what'll be funny, we'll make him think he's near the end by placing checkpoint 5, then faith plate spiny's into his face! That'll be hilarious! The ending was rage-inducing. Multiple faith plates of death+bullet bills+spinys is not a way to end a level. Don't know how long I can continue on doing this.

2-4 37 DEATHS. This level was too damn hard. I lost 34 of my lives just trying to get to bowser. Since you don't have an axe at the end of the level you have to get there with fire flower or suicide, because of your silly goomba mechanism. There's no damn way I can go on past this. I quit.
As a mapmaker you seem like you have a TON of potential. You're creative, good with tiles, all that good stuff, but there's just two problems that are keeping you from making high-quality mappacks.
1)Your grudge against the portal gun. Let it go. This mappack wouldn't be nearly as hard if I got to use it, and I probably wouldn't have quit after 8 levels.
2)Your tendency to go and make FULL MAPPACKS without giving out demos. For your next mappack you should seriously consider giving out demos to allow people to test and make sure your mappack is fun and fair.
If you ever make another map pack, please make it less like a rage game.

Gallas [HU]

Post » 03 Jul 2013, 18:15

Qcode wrote:the first two worlds I had 104 deaths.

Qcode wrote: Your grudge against the portal gun.
There are many, many great and absolutely awesome map-pack for original Mari0, why is it problem if I make something uncommon? (Yes it's harder than the screenshots shows, I corrected the "super-easy" stuff)
Turret Opera wrote: Replace the tileset in the mappack with this one:
Giggle, have fun if you liked more this way^^
Last edited by Gallas [HU] on 03 Jul 2013, 18:20, edited 1 time in total.

Camewel

Post » 03 Jul 2013, 18:18

I like this guy.

Qcode

Post » 03 Jul 2013, 18:42

Camewel

Post » 03 Jul 2013, 18:45

The portal gun makes levels easier, he wanted this mappack to be challenging.

Superjustinbros

Post » 03 Jul 2013, 19:17

Gramanaitor wrote:Everything QCode said I agree to:
Qcode wrote:I tried this out and got to world 2. I was doing a level by level analysis, but I just had to quit at world 2.
First of all a bit of overview. You really lied in the first post.
Gallas [HU] wrote: - basic mario game style
- gets harder gradually (from super easy to hardcore)
This mappack commonly avoids how the SMB mappack played out, you had no axes next to bowser, and you commonly used portal entities. Not saying this is a bad thing, but that just wasn't expected. The portal entities weren't used correctly either, considering many of the faith plates catapulted you to death.
This mappack does in no way have a good difficulty curve. It starts out hard and gets incredibly harder. Overall in my play through of the first two worlds I had 104 deaths. I'm given 9 lives. No fair at all.
My level by level analysis:
1-1: This level was a brutal first level. I lost 4 lives on this level, all due to the silly block by block jumping bit. I understand you were simulating the ship sinking, but you could have made it a tiny bit easier. Also that castle at the beginning was annoying to navigate. Only continued because of the rave reviews by other forum members. Also star on level with no enemies?

1-2: Again, not super easy like you stated. I'm down to one life at this point. Major annoyances were invisible blocks to trip you up at checkpoint 4. Died 3 times at those. That kind of crap only happens in lost levels. Hoping it gets easier before I rage.

1-3: And invisible block hits me with the turtle shell. Way too trusting of me. Dead, setting infinite lives cheat to on, and skipping back to try again.

1-3 Take two:5 deaths. I'm noticing none of your blocks are portable, which is pretty annoying. Feel like you're still trying to keep the "no portal gun" aspect of mario exploration alive. Slopes are annoying too, but mostly only going up. Level was pretty easy which was nice too see. It is kind of scary seeing all these types of enemies in the first world, hoping that there's no entity spam later. Also piranha plants out of the ground? Weird.

1-4 16 DEATHS. There's fire everywhere in these levels. It's absolutely insane how annoying that is to die 8 times on the same part because there's podoboos, fire bars, bowser fire, and spiny's all on one screen. It's crazy.

2-1 12 deaths. Fucking cheep cheep walls? That's just mean. I couldn't even get past those with big mario, so I don't see your point of placing a mushroom right before them. Cheep cheep spam everywhere in this level. 7 deaths here. Then you throw two hammer bros right next to each other, without giving me a power up. Lovely.

2-2 6 deaths. Again with the piranha plants out of the ground. And also again with the hammer bros. And again with the invisible clouds. This level wasn't too bad, it was still pretty damn hard though. Not getting much inspiration at this point, but continuing on anyway. Huge platform was an original idea. That was pretty fun.

2-3 19 DEATHS. I know what'll be funny, we'll make him think he's near the end by placing checkpoint 5, then faith plate spiny's into his face! That'll be hilarious! The ending was rage-inducing. Multiple faith plates of death+bullet bills+spinys is not a way to end a level. Don't know how long I can continue on doing this.

2-4 37 DEATHS. This level was too damn hard. I lost 34 of my lives just trying to get to bowser. Since you don't have an axe at the end of the level you have to get there with fire flower or suicide, because of your silly goomba mechanism. There's no damn way I can go on past this. I quit.
As a mapmaker you seem like you have a TON of potential. You're creative, good with tiles, all that good stuff, but there's just two problems that are keeping you from making high-quality mappacks.
1)Your grudge against the portal gun. Let it go. This mappack wouldn't be nearly as hard if I got to use it, and I probably wouldn't have quit after 8 levels.
2)Your tendency to go and make FULL MAPPACKS without giving out demos. For your next mappack you should seriously consider giving out demos to allow people to test and make sure your mappack is fun and fair.
If you ever make another map pack, please make it less like a rage game.
Seconded. I know I praised the additional widths of platforms and firebars, but I still found the levels to be cheap in certain ways (keep in mind I only played from 1-1 to 1-3).

I'm fine without a Portal Gun, but if you want the mappack to be fair, beat every level without taking any damage and replace all the slopes with ledges and don't go the Vic Tokai route of Kaizo blocks exactly where you want to jump onto an enemy.

Flutter Skye

Post » 03 Jul 2013, 21:49

I'm at 2-2 and i need to say this is one of the best mappacks ever !

TurretBot

Post » 03 Jul 2013, 22:59

FlutterPie wrote:I'm at 2-2 and i need to say this is one of the best mappacks ever !
what I thought that was Super 0'brothers !?

renhoek

Post » 04 Jul 2013, 05:10

Turret Opera wrote:
FlutterPie wrote:I'm at 2-2 and i need to say this is one of the best mappacks ever !
Stop praising things that hasn't come out yet.

TurretBot

Post » 04 Jul 2013, 13:41

renhoek wrote:
Turret Opera wrote:
Stop praising things that hasn't come out yet.
FP did it first

Automatik

Post » 04 Jul 2013, 15:35

Seriously, this is one of the most unfair mappacks here. I think people wouldn't mind the difficulty if it was infinite lifes + a mod that remove the delay between the moment where you die and the moment where you respawn.

Flutter Skye

Post » 04 Jul 2013, 15:38

Okay, i'm at 2-3 and i can't get past the place with the two platforms, one going down and one going up. On the start it was good but now it's way to hard.
I give it 5/10 for now.

BobTheLawyer

Post » 05 Jul 2013, 01:57

I don't look at many threads in Mapping, but when I looked in the Tileset Respositorium, which I do often, your tileset was so beautiful, I rushed here.
Going to try this with gel cannon, knowing you have a thing against portals ;)

marian18

Post » 16 Oct 2014, 14:33

can someone please reupload Mari0lander the link are not active anymore

TheJonyMyster

Post » 23 Oct 2014, 04:09

yeah i second that
i havent gotten a chance to play through the unfair yet brilliant level design everyone seems to have been talking about
even camewel liked it

HugoBDesigner

Post » 23 Oct 2014, 05:18

I already PM'd marian, but here it is:
Mariolander

TheJonyMyster

Post » 24 Oct 2014, 03:00

thanks

Villager103

Post » 24 Oct 2014, 05:49

The screenshots are not showing up. Can you please re upload them?

Gallas [HU]

Post » 07 Apr 2015, 22:51

After nearly two years I'm back and reuploaded the .zip file to a non-temporary host and made new screenshots.

Good luck all :)