BROS for Mari0- Mappack

Mapping related threads and questions go in here!
Superjustinbros

Post » 21 Jun 2013, 17:55

So I'm sure there's someone on the forums that's heard of the Atari 8-Bit game "BROS" from German programer Kemal Ezcan and published by KE-Soft.
This is a remake of said game for play in Mari0, which I've created based on several online videos showing gameplay. However no video I've found does a complete run of the game, showing all the secrets and locations of items in the process. So here is an incomplete recreation of what I could find; 1-1 through half of 2-2.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/m2u51 ... s_v0.1.zip

A couple misc notes about BROS:
*Every level is five screens (100 blocks) in width, and always end by going through a pipe.
*Only one enemy can occupy the screen at a time.
*When you grab a mushroom, you do not change size.
*Fire Flowers are replaced by spike balls that come in a pack of 10, which are tossed straight forwards. I believe it is not possible to hold any more than 10.

TheSeek

Post » 21 Jun 2013, 20:30

Superjustinbros wrote: This is a remake of said game for play in Mari0, which I've created based on several online videos showing gameplay. However no video I've found does a complete run of the game, showing all the secrets and locations of items in the process. So here is an incomplete recreation of what I could find; 1-1 through half of 2-2.
You could easily emulate it instead of whatching other's vids.

Superjustinbros

Post » 21 Jun 2013, 20:59

TheSeek wrote:
Superjustinbros wrote: This is a remake of said game for play in Mari0, which I've created based on several online videos showing gameplay. However no video I've found does a complete run of the game, showing all the secrets and locations of items in the process. So here is an incomplete recreation of what I could find; 1-1 through half of 2-2.
You could easily emulate it instead of whatching other's vids.
I've been having so much trouble finding and arranging the files (both the OS files and BROS itself) that it's become such a chore. And when finally am able to run it, the screen gets corrupted and the game becomes unplayable.

TheSeek

Post » 21 Jun 2013, 21:46

It took me literally 5 min to get it working on Atari800Win PLus 4.0(download the zip archive, not the full seup).
Download the xf25.zip package given on the site and extract the .ROM files in the ROm directory of the emu(the other files are not necessary).
In the initial config(not sure if it wil automaticlly start, if not, Atari>ROM images...), in OS-B put ATARIOSB.ROM, in XL/XE put ATARIXL.ROM, and in BASIC put ATARIBAS.ROM, leave the other ones empy.
Do File>Autoboot image... and select the BROS.atr game file(I'm sure you know how to find it, and you probably already have it).
Cnfigure the inputs however you want and you're ready to play(press F2 to start, F% to reset, F9 to pause, F10 to take a screenshot), the only issue i found is that apparently the game get stuck(doesnt freeze) after you put the name after you lose, but using save states you will never lose, so no big problem.

4matsy

Post » 26 Jun 2013, 00:48

I played through the game a few weeks ago. It's a nice little game...or at least it would be, if the physics weren't so spectacularly shitty, causing you to kill yourself on some random hazard every 5 seconds. Thank goodness for savestates. :p (By the way, version 4.1 of the emulator has been out for some time at the official github.)

So while I was playing through the game, I made a savestate at the beginning of every level, so that when I went back and ripped all the graphics, I could easily recolor them in every level's palettes. It wasn't that hard, and eventually I got a full rip of the game's graphics:

Superjustinbros

Post » 26 Jun 2013, 09:04

4matsy wrote:I played through the game a few weeks ago. It's a nice little game...or at least it would be, if the physics weren't so spectacularly shitty, causing you to kill yourself on some random hazard every 5 seconds. Thank goodness for savestates. :p (By the way, version 4.1 of the emulator has been out for some time at the official github.)

So while I was playing through the game, I made a savestate at the beginning of every level, so that when I went back and ripped all the graphics, I could easily recolor them in every level's palettes. It wasn't that hard, and eventually I got a full rip of the game's graphics:
Thank you very much, buddy. I created an improved tileset using the tile colors shown (leaving out duplicates and sprite colors) and included the two types of bridges. Hopefully come SE we can add more to make it the best remake possible.

Though this does bring up two things...

Would you be able to send me the save states and if possible assemble level maps from screenshots of the game? The only real challenge would be figuring out what each coin block holds (coin or powerup) and which brick blocks hold multiple coins. And how 8-4's invisible terrain is laid out.

Second, would you allow me to build a sprite sheet using the assets you ripped and upload it to the Spriters Resource? I'll make sure you receive credit for ripping the sprites and tiles.

4matsy

Post » 27 Jun 2013, 02:19

Superjustinbros wrote:Would you be able to send me the save states
Here they are. One for the ending too, so you don't have to torture yourself feeling your way through 8-4 in the dark. :p But of course, if you've seen the 8-4 video, you know the ending's nothing special, though. (These were made in Atari800Win PLus 4.1, btw. Dunno if they'll work in 4.0...)
Superjustinbros wrote:and if possible assemble level maps from screenshots of the game? The only real challenge would be figuring out what each coin block holds (coin or powerup) and which brick blocks hold multiple coins. And how 8-4's invisible terrain is laid out.
Some blocks hold 1UPs (brown mushrooms), too.

Yeeeaaah...to get a decent map of 8-4, I think we'd have to find the memory address that controls what palette the game uses for the current level, and find a way to have it at the wrong value during 8-4, so that the level will use a palette that actually shows what the level is made of.

Not to mention, some levels, like 5-4 (and, I suspect, 8-4), are made almost entirely of bricks. I'm not sure how to best go about definitively item searching those levels, other than deciphering the level data from the disk image itself and making an editor for the game, which is currently above my Badass Level as I'm not quite that good at rom hacking...<_<'

...Although, maybe some combination of cheats would suffice. Moon jump and infinite time would be all you'd need to clear out a level, really. Maybe also invincibility and infinite spike balls...
Superjustinbros wrote:Second, would you allow me to build a sprite sheet using the assets you ripped and upload it to the Spriters Resource? I'll make sure you receive credit for ripping the sprites and tiles.
Sure, go ahead. :)

Superjustinbros

Post » 27 Jun 2013, 04:01

Maybe someone on Atariage could help...?

EDIT: Er... Even though I'm using 4.1, every time I try to load one of your saves, the game always crashes when transitioning to a new level. I think it may be because I'm using a different ROM name than you.

As for the maps, we could do ones of all of them except 8-4.

4matsy

Post » 04 Jul 2013, 06:22

Oh, right! I should've mentioned which ROM I used. Silly me. :p
It was "Bros (1989)(KE-Soft)(DE)(en).atr".
Here are some checksums for it, so you know if you've got the right ROM:
CRC32: 211bad23
MD5: 0174052535ba72960b01a22dce9d5aee
SHA-1: c468c276c23a0b1d80f45395785f68a82338646d

(Incidentally, I had also found:
Bros (1989)(KE-Soft)(DE)(en)[a].atr
Bros (1989)(KE-Soft)(DE)(en)[a2].atr
Bros (1989)(KE-Soft)(DE)(en)[a3].atr
which all appeared to play exactly the same, with the high score list having different scores on each ROM.)

Jesus Man
PERMABANNED

Post » 04 Jul 2013, 12:33

I tough it was for bros. Ya know, Pewdie's Bros?

* brofist btw *