New Thinking with Old Portals [MAP PACK]

Mapping related threads and questions go in here!
Smear-Gel

Post » 12 Apr 2013, 21:25

Info:

This map was originally made basically to make use of the New Super Mario Bros tiles.

Since then, it has grown and into a full fledged map, now has six full worlds.

Tonnes of detail included. Most of the levels have sub levels that are either alternate paths to the finish or alternate finishes altogether. There are many secret mushrooms hidden all over the place, and the difficulty level isnt the easiest, so they may be necessary. I tried to make this have replay value so you'd always be discovering things or going "hey, that's pretty interesting"

Includes a pipe maze with tonnes of different places to go, my favourite level which is 5-1 as well as 6 castles, which is probably the stages I had the most fun making. They all go under a different theme done in a unique way and are a bit harder than the rest of the map (so bear that in mind.) I put an extra life in each castle though some are easier to find than others.

Also, World 6 is a bit unforgiving.

Every section of this map has been tested so I'm sure everything is passable. I still havent passed every stage in one go because I dont have the time, but it's not because it's impassable, since, like I said, every section has been tested.

Comments and feedback would be lovely and telling me what you think while you're playing it would be awesome. It would be neat knowing your favourite level or any that stood out to you. (Feedback on a whole is sorta lacking in these forums imo.)

Screenshots:

Credit:

Credit to mari0bros2 and WillWare YOUR TILES AND BACKGROUNDS MAKE IT LOOK INFINITELY BETTER.

Download Link:

Full map here

Demo of world 1 with old version of 1-4 here

NOTE:

Once Special Edition is out, a sequel called New Thinking with Special Portals will be made. I think that instead of waiting until SE, it's better to just make a map with what you have now and make another when SE is out. It's nice to see what you can do with what you have. New Thinking with Old Portals will also be "ported" (or whatever) to SE.

EDIT LOG:

Edit 1: Fixed two tiny problems with 3-4 (accidentally left a M entity in the middle of the level) and 4-4 (one part was not impossible to pass, but a bit too difficult).
Edit 2: Also fixed the last level, which was apparently starting halfway through.
Last edited by Smear-Gel on 20 Sep 2013, 22:02, edited 4 times in total.

Camewel

Post » 12 Apr 2013, 23:55

I don't know why, but 8-bit entities and 32(?) bit tiles look really cool to me.
Good job on the mappack! ;D

Smear-Gel

Post » 13 Apr 2013, 00:19

Yeah, at first I was wondering if the clash between entities and tiles would be a problem, but in the end it looks really good! When SE comes out I likely wont be changing any entities.

And thanks for the compliment. c:

JWinslow23

Post » 13 Apr 2013, 02:19

Can I make a level? I want to map out a level from NSMBWii!

Smear-Gel

Post » 13 Apr 2013, 03:14

Well you're free to make a level if you want, but this map pack is already finished. I don't like posting too many WIP's.

Superjustinbros

Post » 14 Apr 2013, 05:24

I think that instead of waiting until SE, it's better to just make a map with what you have now and make another when SE is out. It's nice to see what you can do with what you have. New Thinking with Old Portals will also be "ported" (or whatever) to SE.
Smart thinking with portals there Smear. Somehow I wish I had done that with my main mappack, but I never knew when Maurice would be finished with SE.

Smear-Gel

Post » 14 Apr 2013, 21:58

Thanks man. You can always make another map now though.

Plus, I didn't want to be one of those people waiting on SE for everything (no offense to the people that do) when I had enough to make stuff already.

Also, I just love making maps.

Superjustinbros

Post » 15 Apr 2013, 01:51

Smear-Gel wrote:Thanks man. You can always make another map now though.

Plus, I didn't want to be one of those people waiting on SE for everything (no offense to the people that do) when I had enough to make stuff already.

Also, I just love making maps.
The truth is I'm quite sick of those type of maps on well, but with how long Mari0 Special Edition is taking and no release date conformed, I can see why many would postpone their maps.

I stopped A0zora because I exited my Mari0 phase, didn't have any decent level design, and idiot9.0's criticism to the mappack's length, inconsistent level themes, and overall the big incomplete state of the mappack.

Smear-Gel

Post » 15 Apr 2013, 04:56

I would think that no release date being confirmed would persuade people to just work with what they have now. That's what it did for me. But I guess people react to stuff in different ways.

I think maybe you spent too much effort into making your maps with SE in mind and not simply just making your maps. The same thing happened to me for this. I kept thinking "do I want to put this here or in the sequel"

But I eventually realized that I should just make my map for now and I'll get new ideas if I need to.

Also don't forget that criticism should be analyzed. Sometimes you can understand criticism but disagree with it. There are some levels in this I understand might get some criticism but I don't think I'd make them any other way. But I haven't gotten too far in Aoz0ra to make my own judgements because for some reason mari0 runs incredibly slow on my PC now.