[Mappack] Under Aperture

Mapping related threads and questions go in here!
HugoBDesigner

Post » 05 Apr 2013, 06:23

Please note that this is my very first mappack. I've already made some others, but I decided to finish this one and publish here.
The custom tiles are really, really simple. I was just testing with them, but then this project become bigger, so I've made it look a little bit better. But keep in mind that this mappack is focused on "tests", and not "textures".

Screenshots:
This mappack uses a Mod Pack. I found it from a Portal 2 mappack. I you find it, please tell me, so I can put credits. But to light up the things: you need this Mod Pack, and it was not made by me.

To use mods, you need to download LOVE 0.8.0:
http://love2d.org

Download Mod Pack (I'll use this download until I find the original map, so I can link to it's author):
EDIT: I finally found the mod pack author: turtle95. So, download this mod pack on his mappack thread:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2188

Download Under Aperture Mappack:
http://www.mediafire.com/?1nad255buw3w5l2

If you find any error/bug, tell me.
Last edited by HugoBDesigner on 24 Apr 2013, 04:06, edited 1 time in total.

idiot9.0

Post » 05 Apr 2013, 07:56

Played through this mappack. Though I enjoyed the many puzzles, there were some problems.

-Some of your levels need to be split in parts. Levels 2-1 and 8-1 started to lag on me due to the amount of entities being drawn in the current level. Use sub-levels to split the levels into parts if many entities like lasers or that fancy dying-enemy-spam-tower in Level 5-1 (I think?) are needed.
-World 3 was odd. It was a standard level in 3-1, but then 3-2, 3-3, and 3-4 were all just fancy flagpole sections? Repeated, no less. I'm gonna assume you had these for the end of the first 3 levels, but you need to put them as the sublevels, not in an entirely different world.
-The beginning of 7-1: The door underneath the gel dispenser needs to stay open a bit longer. Sometimes it only opened enough for the gel to color one tile white, meaning there was no way to portal out of that area, leading to a forced and cheap death.
-8-1's cloud run section. The lasers at the start are fine, but the double firebars are placed in a rather difficult-to-dodge spot. It's do-able, but hard. Other than that it's fine.
-The checkpoint in 8-1 needs replacement to somewhere else. Where it's currently located, when you die and reappear at the checkpoint, the entities near it are gone, leaving no way to advance past the laser before Bowser. Pretty much requires a level restart.

Other than those your mappack was fun. Nice puzzles, turrets actually used properly and, for the most part, fairly, and overall enjoyable.

(Also this mod you used, I had no idea it existed. I knew the turrets were around, but not them laser-reflecting blocks. Whoever made that mod did a rather nice job)

HugoBDesigner

Post » 05 Apr 2013, 08:41

idiot9.0 wrote:Played through this mappack. Though I enjoyed the many puzzles, there were some problems.

-Some of your levels need to be split in parts. Levels 2-1 and 8-1 started to lag on me due to the amount of entities being drawn in the current level. Use sub-levels to split the levels into parts if many entities like lasers or that fancy dying-enemy-spam-tower in Level 5-1 (I think?) are needed.
I had this problem too. But my PC is REALLY slow, so I thought: "This will be probably faster in other's computers". But, anyway, I'll make them less-entity or move them to sublevels. About the fancy dying-enemy-spam-tower, I tried to simmulate an incinerator, to make the map less "test" and more "BTS". Of course, did not looked like I wanted to...
idiot9.0 wrote: -World 3 was odd. It was a standard level in 3-1, but then 3-2, 3-3, and 3-4 were all just fancy flagpole sections? Repeated, no less. I'm gonna assume you had these for the end of the first 3 levels, but you need to put them as the sublevels, not in an entirely different world.
This was from far my biggest problem. I tried to make the transition from 3-1 for 4-1 normally, by using a World Warp (I think that's how it's called). But every time I did this, it ended up at level -1 saying that you've completed the mappack. This was the only solution I found :(
idiot9.0 wrote: -The beginning of 7-1: The door underneath the gel dispenser needs to stay open a bit longer. Sometimes it only opened enough for the gel to color one tile white, meaning there was no way to portal out of that area, leading to a forced and cheap death.
I'll fix this. It happened to me for the first time today.
idiot9.0 wrote: -8-1's cloud run section. The lasers at the start are fine, but the double firebars are placed in a rather difficult-to-dodge spot. It's do-able, but hard. Other than that it's fine.
I've already thought on changing it, but then I thought: "Maybe I should let this part harder. It's really hard, but in most part of this mappack the sollutions of the tests don't have 'action'. So I should let this as a gran finale.".
idiot9.0 wrote: -The checkpoint in 8-1 needs replacement to somewhere else. Where it's currently located, when you die and reappear at the checkpoint, the entities near it are gone, leaving no way to advance past the laser before Bowser. Pretty much requires a level restart.
I'll have to check this. Maybe I should replace the goomba and buttons with a laser and timers. This way you don't have problems when you die.
idiot9.0 wrote: Other than those your mappack was fun. Nice puzzles, turrets actually used properly and, for the most part, fairly, and overall enjoyable.

(Also this mod you used, I had no idea it existed. I knew the turrets were around, but not them laser-reflecting blocks. Whoever made that mod did a rather nice job)
Thanks! You helped a LOT to fix some issues!
About the laser-reflecting blocks, they're not part of any mod. While making this mappack for the first time (at that time I wasn't using any mod), I thought: "I should add the redirection cube to my tests. We can't do much only with lasers and catchers without them." and, after some tries, I discovered that you can just place a normal block in the map, put a laser catcher in one side and a laser beam in another, and connect them. They'll work as the normal redirection cube, but they're static. If you wanna use them in some mappack, just edit one of my levels, so you can see how they work.
Again, thanks for the feedback!

SonicStalker

Post » 05 Apr 2013, 17:54

That was an awesome map! The way you did the reflection cubes was really ingenious. I never would've thought it possible without a mod. Speaking of mod where did you get that mod from? It seems like it would have alot of helpful things in it but I cant quite figure out how to work the glados voice clips and sound effects.

Superjustinbros

Post » 05 Apr 2013, 18:45

Have you ever considered a version of the mappack that doesn't require a mod to play?

HugoBDesigner

Post » 05 Apr 2013, 21:13

SonicStalker wrote:That was an awesome map! The way you did the reflection cubes was really ingenious. I never would've thought it possible without a mod. Speaking of mod where did you get that mod from? It seems like it would have alot of helpful things in it but I cant quite figure out how to work the glados voice clips and sound effects.
I got it from a Portal 2 mappack. I don't remember what mappack was, because I played it a very long time ago. But, if you find this mappack, please tell me, so I can put credits to it's author...
Superjustinbros wrote:Have you ever considered a version of the mappack that doesn't require a mod to play?
I'm making another mappack, and in this one I'll not use mods. But the most important reason why I used this mod is because it has triggers, and them make the mappacks really better.

TehPencilmaster

Post » 11 Apr 2013, 20:56

I'm making another mappack, and in this one I'll not use mods. But the most important reason why I used this mod is because it has triggers, and them make the mappacks really better.
Triggers will be added in SE. Combined with text entitys, story-telling will be much easier!
I loved the background. Also, the Thermal Redirection Cubes was a good idea, but it sometimes is hard aiming the portals right without killing yourself.

HugoBDesigner

Post » 11 Apr 2013, 21:28

TehPencilmaster wrote: Triggers will be added in SE. Combined with text entitys, story-telling will be much easier!
I know, but I'll not wait for SE to release my mappack :)
TehPencilmaster wrote: I loved the background. Also, the Thermal Redirection Cubes was a good idea, but it sometimes is hard aiming the portals right without killing yourself.
Thanks! It was hard to me too ^^,

ucenna

Post » 19 Apr 2013, 05:03

You were having trouble with a warp pipe in world three? That's because if you enter a warp pipe that leads to world four when the text isn't displayed it will send you to world the minus world. Solution: check the has warp pipe section in 3-1's menu.

HugoBDesigner

Post » 19 Apr 2013, 12:07

ucenna wrote:You were having trouble with a warp pipe in world three? That's because if you enter a warp pipe that leads to world four when the text isn't displayed it will send you to world the minus world. Solution: check the has warp pipe section in 3-1's menu.
I'll remember that for my future mappack, thanks! But I'm no longer updating this mappack...