[FINISHED] Monster.exe Mappack

Mapping related threads and questions go in here!
Costinteo

Post » 09 Mar 2013, 18:51

Hello fellows!
My name is Costinteo and today I'll present you my Mappack for Mari0. It's called Monster.exe and it's basically about Mario trying to save the world from the Monster Apocalypse created by an Unkown Powerful Source of Decay. The only one that holds the power to destroy this monstrous plague is Princess Peach and her Pure Soul Orb... But she's been captured by the monsters! So the whole world's fate is in Mario's hands.

IT'S FINISHED! 5 Worlds of Monster.exe and hard challenges await you. Download link is somewhere at the bottom of this page.

Note: I know the trailer has a long starting part... I wanted to make it like that until the "welcome" part.

"PICTURES OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN!":

Title Screen

Cowlevel *insert Diablo joke here*

Wetlands

The Dark Church + Custom Music and Background

As you can see in the last screenshot, some levels have custom background and music. I will add tiles too maybe *added*.

Here is the Download link:
v10 http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?9mwb35ac5a61oxo
v9 http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?etzl5746ug27e86
v8 http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?ovkxpdcp9i51k70
v7 http://www.mediafire.com/?oj1119k788tzdwi
v6 http://www.mediafire.com/?42jxwn47cbl2zdl

Levels:
1.Plain Greenlands - Success
2.Cave of Darkness - Success
3.Rocky Mountains - Success
4.Cloudy Kingdom - Success

1.Cowlevel - Success
2.Wetlands - Success
3.Holy Mackerel - Success
4.Dark Church - Success

1.Shroud of Fog - Success
2.Mysterious Lodge - Success
3.Graveyard - Success
4.A game of Death - Success

1.Shaking Lakito - Success
2.The Hammer Bros. - Success
3.Crawling Danger - Success
4.Screaming Hollow - Success

1.Lavatopica - Success
2.Ruins of Ramakishu - Success
3.Destroyed Mushroom Kingdom - Success (huge)
4.Monstrous Corruption - Success

Planning to add more Worlds? Do you want Monster.exe to continue even more? Do you want a sequel?

Changelog:
v1
- Started with "Plain Greenlands"
-------------------
v2
- Nerfed Mobs
- Solved 'stack glitch'
- Added "Cave of Darkness"
- Added "Rocky Mountains"
- Added "Cloudy Kingdom"
-------------------
v3
- Nerfed Mobs
- Solved 'stack glitch', again.
- Added "Cowlevel"
- Started "Wetlands"
-------------------
v4
- Added "Wetlands"
- Added "Holy Mackerel"
- Made it more fair
-------------------
v5
- Added "Dark Church"
- Added Custom Background
- Added Custom Music
-------------------
v6
- Released (on forum)
- Solved some bugs
- Edited post
-------------------
v7
- Redesigned "Plain Greenlands" and "Wetlands" with a new tileset (thanks to "Superjustinbros")
- Updated the Download link
- Replaced some Spikeys with lasers
- Made my first little vine tile
- Must update screenshots
-------------------
v8
- Updated screenshots
- Redesigned all levels
- Included a bit of non-redesigned "Shroud of Fog"
- Added more custom backgrounds
- Updated the Download link
-------------------
v9 - Super Classy Update!
- New Classier Mob Placement tactics
- Harder levels
- Harder Mobs (started adding Spikeys and Hammer Bros.)
- Classier Mario feel
- Fixed "Unfair" bug
- Redesigned a bit of "Shroud of Fog"
- Made Custom Tiles for Graveyard level
- Added "Shroud of Fog"
- Added "Mysterious Lodge"
- Added "Graveyard"
- Added "A game of Death"
- Added portal-like elements combined with platforming
- Made "A game of Death" real hard (didn't test it, tell me if it's ridiculously hard will fix it)
- Reduced file size
- Added secret text in the game directory
-------------------
v10 - Corruption Update!
- ADDED 2 WHOLE NEW WORLDS TO COMPENSATE MY BREAK!
- Added:
1.Shaking Lakito
2.The Hammer Bros.
3.Crawling Danger
4.Screaming Hollow
5.Lavatopica
6.Ruins of Ramakishu
7.Destroyed Mushroom Kingdom
8.Monstrous Corruption
- New music!
- Fixed some bugs
- Have Fun!

This mappack was really fun to make and I'm looking forward to make a sequel, maybe a group mappack sequel, who knows.
Thanks ALL for supporting me and giving me suggestions for my first mappack.
Last edited by Costinteo on 10 Apr 2013, 10:11, edited 25 times in total.

Legend_of_Kirby

Post » 09 Mar 2013, 19:07

Such, Large text...

Costinteo

Post » 09 Mar 2013, 19:09

Legend_of_Kirby wrote:Such, Large text...
Sorry, I kinda like it... I was changing it right when you posted this.

Vyper

Post » 09 Mar 2013, 19:57

Looks nice so far, but you should probably have at least a few custom tiles. The SMB ones look a bit plain.

ucenna

Post » 09 Mar 2013, 20:02

It looks nice seems like a bit of enemy spam in the second image. Custom tiles don't make up for level design. And even though I haven't downloaded this yet, from the images it looks like you did a good job, You really need to change the tiles though, Mushrooms everywhere and bushes in the air are not going to help your mappack.

Costinteo

Post » 09 Mar 2013, 20:31

Vyper wrote:Looks nice so far, but you should probably have at least a few custom tiles. The SMB ones look a bit plain.
ucenna wrote:It looks nice seems like a bit of enemy spam in the second image. Custom tiles don't make up for level design. And even though I haven't downloaded this yet, from the images it looks like you did a good job, You really need to change the tiles though, Mushrooms everywhere and bushes in the air are not going to help your mappack.
I was going to make my custom tileset for stuff like the "airbushes" that are actually vines. Thanks for the feedback! By the way, I wanted the map to be Hard-Impossible but I nerfed it over time and I got to Normal-Hard. Tell me if you think it's way too hard, my friends say it is, but I can't understand them, I always test it and nerf it if I die too much. Oh well... One more thing, "ucenna", the "Mushroom Land" (Cowlevel) is suppose to look kind off random and weird.

Superjustinbros

Post » 09 Mar 2013, 20:37

I'm going to download it and see for myself. Before I jump in, all I suggest is for future reference to avoid placing enemies on tiles directly adjacent to each other, or "stacking" them. Placing them so they're spaced out works a lot better, and hold off on difficult platforming until later on (as you're cramming a monster cade of spinies and a Hammer Bro). Later levels have a similar format of making death traps for the player(s).

A big tip: You know the lasers? If you place a tile with both collision and invisible properties defined (including using the default invisible blocks, you can make the lasers stop in mid air so they can substitute for spikes, rather than spamming Spinies or Hammer Bros.

I'd prefer if you use standard over-world music for 1-1, and I wasn't that big into the music for 2-4, since it starts a little too slow. If it started directly at the dramatic parts and looped, it'd work better, but for now I ended up switching it to the Castle music.

If you want a tiles that retains the plain SMB looks but has more available colors, you can use this one.
http://i.imgur.com/6OJB7co.png

However if you want something with a bit bigger of a variety, you can always opt for taking a peek at the Tileset Respositorium thread.
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2437
But if you have experience in making custom tiles, go ahead.

Hard map packs are best accomplished with difficult (not unfair or luck-based) platforming segments, and clever use (not overuse of) enemies. Your mappack seems in it's current state like a nerfed "Mario's Journey", a mappack RWlabs developed a while back.

Costinteo

Post » 09 Mar 2013, 20:45

Superjustinbros wrote:I'm going to download it and see for myself. Before I jump in, all I suggest is for future reference to avoid placing enemies on tiles directly adjacent to each other, or "stacking" them. Placing them so they're spaced out works a lot better, and hold off on difficult platforming until later on (as you're cramming a monster cade of spinies and a Hammer Bro). Later levels have a similar format of making death traps for the player(s).

A big tip: You know the lasers? If you place a tile with both collision and invisible properties defined (including using the default invisible blocks, you can make the lasers stop in mid air so they can substitute for spikes, rather than spamming Spinies or Hammer Bros.

I'd prefer if you use standard over-world music for 1-1, and I wasn't that big into the music for 2-4, since it starts a little too slow. If it started directly at the dramatic parts and looped, it'd work better, but for now I ended up switching it to the Castle music.

If you want a tiles that retains the plain SMB looks but has more available colors, you can use this one.

However if you want something with a bit bigger of a variety, you can always opt for taking a peek at the Tileset Respositorium thread.

Hard map packs are best accomplished with difficult (not unfair or luck-based) platforming segments, and clever use (not overuse of) enemies. Your mappack seems in it's current state like a nerfed "Mario's Journey", a mappack RWlabs developed a while back.
I should better get to work and make it better. Thanks a lot for the tips. I really need some vines thought, I wonder if I can find any. Thanks a lot again.

Costinteo

Post » 09 Mar 2013, 21:46

Superjustinbros wrote:I'm going to download it and see for myself. Before I jump in, all I suggest is for future reference to avoid placing enemies on tiles directly adjacent to each other, or "stacking" them. Placing them so they're spaced out works a lot better, and hold off on difficult platforming until later on (as you're cramming a monster cade of spinies and a Hammer Bro). Later levels have a similar format of making death traps for the player(s).

Do you have any idea how to put custom music for each level? Is it at least possible because I can't find any hints or guides on the internet (at least youtube and google).

Costinteo

Post » 10 Mar 2013, 15:13

Updated the map. Currently v8. Look at the changelog for more info.Redesigned all levels with tiles made by "Superjustinbros". (thank you again)

TurretBot

Post » 10 Mar 2013, 17:49

I will never use hatninja's guide again...
Since you're new I'll just warn you now that people will say your screenshots "take up half the universe" and that you should use size 1 when making screenshots.

Superjustinbros

Post » 10 Mar 2013, 20:15

Just tried V8, and I'm enjoying it lots. I should throw in with level 2-4 the first portal-over-the-lava has some pretty cheap placements for Goombas that you have to react almost immediately to. Though it's not as bad as a few other map packs I've played, so if you want to leave it in as it is you're entitled to do so.

Most of the maroon and white bricks in the same level use the non-solid variety, the breakable brick blocks are placed adjacent to one another in the tiles, and you can also make a brick block get hit but not spawn any items by placing entities like "Lakitu End" or "Fish End" on those tiles. This next one is all up to you, but it may also be worth placing a Super Mushroom in the level somewhere so the player is not forced to be Small the whole level.

With the small room with the four pipes, one of the tiles is misplaced, and the Spines in the traps could be replaced by doing the following:

If you're looking for custom music, I feel like this one best suits this map pack: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?dycjq8pdvggphgo

Costinteo

Post » 10 Mar 2013, 21:07

Turret Opera wrote:I will never use hatninja's guide again...
Since you're new I'll just warn you now that people will say your screenshots "take up half the universe" and that you should use size 1 when making screenshots.
Yeah, I know... I read the "initialisation in posting your mappack" topic or whatever is called. But it didn't seem really bad this size.

Costinteo

Post » 10 Mar 2013, 21:15

Superjustinbros wrote:Just tried V8, and I'm enjoying it lots. I should throw in with level 2-4 the first portal-over-the-lava has some pretty cheap placements for Goombas that you have to react almost immediately to. Though it's not as bad as a few other map packs I've played, so if you want to leave it in as it is you're entitled to do so.

Most of the maroon and white bricks in the same level use the non-solid variety, the breakable brick blocks are placed adjacent to one another in the tiles, and you can also make a brick block get hit but not spawn any items by placing entities like "Lakitu End" or "Fish End" on those tiles. This next one is all up to you, but it may also be worth placing a Super Mushroom in the level somewhere so the player is not forced to be Small the whole level.

With the small room with the four pipes, one of the tiles is misplaced, and the Spines in the traps could be replaced by doing the following:

If you're looking for custom music, I feel like this one best suits this map pack: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?dycjq8pdvggphgo
I really enjoy the tips you give me. Also the music is amazing... I was thinking to use Crysis 2 OST Main Theme for the last World because it's full of corruption and I think it fits perfectly... But I don't know how to add more than one custom music.. Is it at least possible?
On the other hand, I still can't find the invisible blocks, I will have to guess they're entities ( I didn't look in that submenu ). *looking right now*
Still can't find it. Is it a mod or am I really blind?

Edit: About the maroon-white bricks, you were right... At first I didn't get it, but then I checked it out... I may have swapped it by mistake. Thanks for telling me.
Edit2: Upcoming Update is going to be pretty big. Releasing one big World at once. Very detailed one and big. It's going to be called Super Classy Update because I'll try and follow more classic mob placement methods instead of just spamming them or make it unfair. Also will make it a bit more like Classic Mario (not the level design, don't worry). You tell me if that's a good idea. I mean Shroud of Fog (3-1) is really awesome with the new "tactic".

Costinteo

Post » 10 Mar 2013, 23:23

Almost finished the new Update. 2 levels left. I also added some portal puzzle-platformer elements.
World 3:
(3-1) Shroud of Fog - Finished
(3-2) Mysterious Lodge - Finished
(3-3) Graveyard - Started
(3-4) A game of Death - Not started

The download link isn't updated. Will update when I finish the World.
I also fixed some bugs.

Superjustinbros

Post » 11 Mar 2013, 00:24

The invisible blocks are the darker-looking Used Blocks on the last row of the default SMB tileset.

Costinteo

Post » 11 Mar 2013, 09:44

Superjustinbros wrote:The invisible blocks are the darker-looking Used Blocks on the last row of the default SMB tileset.
Found them. Thanks, those will be very useful in the future.

Costinteo

Post » 11 Mar 2013, 10:56

Hmmm, not sure if this fits... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgK2o6T8sSk
I like it...

Superjustinbros

Post » 11 Mar 2013, 17:40

Costinteo wrote:Hmmm, not sure if this fits... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgK2o6T8sSk
I like it...
I don't like it;
It's like with the old tune, it starts out too slow, then when it finally gets to the fast part, it becomes a little too fast.

Costinteo

Post » 11 Mar 2013, 18:33

Superjustinbros wrote:
Costinteo wrote:Hmmm, not sure if this fits... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgK2o6T8sSk
I like it...
I don't like it;
It's like with the old tune, it starts out too slow, then when it finally gets to the fast part, it becomes a little too fast.
Well then, I used it for a trailer I just did. Uploading it on Youtube right now.

Costinteo

Post » 11 Mar 2013, 19:58

Just edited the post and added the Trailer. Hope you enjoy it!

Mari0Maker

Post » 11 Mar 2013, 21:31

Just a tip for making a trailer.
Don't show 30 seconds on one level. It should be clips of different levels.
Otherwise, it's good. :)

Costinteo

Post » 11 Mar 2013, 21:45

Mari0Maker wrote:Just a tip for making a trailer.
Don't show 30 seconds on one level. It should be clips of different levels.
Otherwise, it's good. :)
That's EXACTLY what my friend said... First clip was intended to be that long until the "welcome" thing started. Thanks anyway!

Costinteo

Post » 12 Mar 2013, 22:57

Monster.exe Super Classy Update v9 IS OUT!
Added a WHOLE WORLD!
See more in changelog.
I may have made the last level ridiculously hard. Tell me if that happened (didn't test it).

Danfun64

Post » 18 Mar 2013, 23:56

When I play this, for some reason there are NO tiles used in game. All I see is white where the tiles are supposed to be. I doubt this is supposed to be deliberate. What gives?

Qcode

Post » 19 Mar 2013, 00:09

Last edited by Qcode on 21 Oct 2021, 17:19, edited 1 time in total.

Danfun64

Post » 20 Mar 2013, 20:35

SJB mod works fine for me...

Automatik

Post » 20 Mar 2013, 21:02

We are talking about SJB's tileset not SJB's mod

Danfun64

Post » 21 Mar 2013, 20:41

so...what should I do to be able to play this correctly?

Hatninja

Post » 21 Mar 2013, 21:41

i must say that this mappack
ROCKS

i can tell you had a ton of cool ideas
Last edited by Hatninja on 21 Mar 2013, 21:42, edited 1 time in total.

Superjustinbros

Post » 21 Mar 2013, 21:41

Danfun64 wrote:so...what should I do to be able to play this correctly?
The best conclusion I have ATM is if Costinteo duplicates the mappack, and in the duplicate, proceed to replace every tile with the default SMB1/Portal tiles, except the latter if used would look outplaced unless one runs a mod that makes them proper 8-bit style (my own mod comes to mind).

Costinteo

Post » 22 Mar 2013, 09:30

hatninja wrote:i must say that this mappack
ROCKS

i can tell you had a ton of cool ideas
I didn't work at it a while, I should continue it.. Thanks a lot for the feedback!
Superjustinbros wrote:The best conclusion I have ATM is if Costinteo duplicates the mappack, and in the duplicate, proceed to replace every tile with the default SMB1/Portal tiles, except the latter if used would look outplaced unless one runs a mod that makes them proper 8-bit style (my own mod comes to mind).
Or, I can keep my custom tiles which are very important (e.g.: Graveyards and vines) and make a tileset with just them.. And then replace every tile with the default SMB/Portal tiles. It would be very hard though...Guess I'll do it later.

Costinteo

Post » 05 Apr 2013, 20:58

Coming up: Corruption Update! (v10)
You thought I was dead, didn't you?
Well, to compensate my HUGE break I'm going to add not 1, BUT 2 COMPLETE NEW WORLDS!
Also I've found a new nice song fitting the mappack just perfect in my opinion.
It's going to be called Corruption Update because things get creepy.. Monstrous Landscapes lie ahead... Get ready to outcome it.
*already finished "Shaking Lakito" and "Hammer Bros."
Little Sneak Peek of "Hammer Bros." (sewer-like level):

Superjustinbros

Post » 05 Apr 2013, 22:52

Costinteo wrote:Coming up: Corruption Update! (v10)
You thought I was dead, didn't you?
Well, to compensate my HUGE break I'm going to add not 1, BUT 2 COMPLETE NEW WORLDS!
Also I've found a new nice song fitting the mappack just perfect in my opinion.
It's going to be called Corruption Update because things get creepy.. Monstrous Landscapes lie ahead... Get ready to outcome it.
*already finished "Shaking Lakito" and "Hammer Bros."
Little Sneak Peek of "Hammer Bros." (sewer-like level):
I can see this is going to be very promising. :)

HugoBDesigner

Post » 05 Apr 2013, 23:21

I don't know why, but the mappack crashed Mari0. What I did wrong?

Mari0Maker

Post » 06 Apr 2013, 00:40

HugoBDesigner wrote:I don't know why, but the mappack crashed Mari0. What I did wrong?
Your computer probably can't load all the tiles in the mappack.
This happens once the tileset goes over a certain amount of tiles, and some graphics cards freak out about it.

HugoBDesigner

Post » 06 Apr 2013, 03:07

Mari0Maker wrote: Your computer probably can't load all the tiles in the mappack.
This happens once the tileset goes over a certain amount of tiles, and some graphics cards freak out about it.
By just saying "graphic cards" I knew what was the problem. I had to change my motherboard, but instead of a good one, they put one that is extremely old (and can't run anything that involves graphics) :(

Costinteo

Post » 06 Apr 2013, 10:43

HugoBDesigner wrote:By just saying "graphic cards" I knew what was the problem. I had to change my motherboard, but instead of a good one, they put one that is extremely old (and can't run anything that involves graphics) :(
You can try v6. That one didn't have any redesigned levels, but it only has the first 2 worlds if I'm not mistaken. Somebody else asked me to replace all the custom tiles too.. I guess I will in the near future, but it's going to take A LOT, so I will finish the mappack first.
-EDIT-
Oh, and the v6 may be really hard....

Costinteo

Post » 06 Apr 2013, 12:37

Just because I like this, I'm going to do the whole Mushroom Kingdom corrupted in "Destroyed Mushroom Kingdom".. So it's going to be a HUGE level. On a second thought, I should split it in half: half of the Kingdom on "Destroyed Mushroom Kingdom" and half on "Monstrous Corruption"... Tell me what you think..
--EDIT--
My friend is throwing a birthday party and I have to come over... I don't know if I'm going to be able to finish the update until afternoon... (it's 2:26 PM here) I'll probably finish it at night... It's still lots to work on with Mushroom Kingdom.

TurretBot

Post » 06 Apr 2013, 14:45

No don't do THAT mushroom kingdom (and spoil the new game for everyone) do this mushroom kingdom.

Costinteo

Post » 06 Apr 2013, 14:58

Almost the same thing... If you tell me. Oh well.. I'll probably add the volcano from there. Btw, I didn't know that was from the new Mario. Maurice should make a mobile app for this... If he didn't already do it. It's horrible (writing from the party on my phone).
--Edit--
I woke up this morning (after party) and I discovered... My computer was shut, and I left Mari0 open.. Forgot so save Mushroom Kingdom Progress... So mad right now. Don't question my video choice by the way.

Costinteo

Post » 07 Apr 2013, 12:56

Does this look too weird? It's suppose to be corruption in the Destroyed Mushroom Kingdom.. Inspired by glitches. Should I make it, say less weird?

--EDIT--
Got a good idea, what if instead of weird corruption I do creepy corruption like the blight from WAR3 (the dead ground):
Last edited by Costinteo on 07 Apr 2013, 17:25, edited 2 times in total.

TurretBot

Post » 07 Apr 2013, 16:13

(Use these when posting large images like your screenshots in the op
e.g.
you clicked on me horray)
ON TOPIC: Creepy corruption all the way!!!
EDIT: you don't have to do it on EVERY image just the big ones XD
Last edited by TurretBot on 07 Apr 2013, 16:48, edited 1 time in total.

Costinteo

Post » 07 Apr 2013, 16:26

Same spot, creepy corrupted.
Whadd'ya think?

--EDIT--
Response to your edit: I just wanted to try again. Idk why.

Costinteo

Post » 07 Apr 2013, 18:03

Gawd, THIS is huge. I'm just at the snowy area. o.o

TurretBot

Post » 07 Apr 2013, 18:16

just make it no time limit =/ and make sure there is a checkpoint on every row.
Last edited by TurretBot on 07 Apr 2013, 18:19, edited 1 time in total.

Costinteo

Post » 07 Apr 2013, 18:18

Hmm.. Indeed a good idea.
--EDIT--
Turret Opera wrote:...make sure there is a checkpoint on every row.
What do you mean? I have put checkpoints pretty often..

Costinteo

Post » 08 Apr 2013, 11:44

v10 - Corruption Update!
IT'S OUT NOW! Monster.exe is finished, but I'm looking forward for a group sequel.. If you guys wanna help me.

Costinteo

Post » 17 May 2013, 11:36

Soooo, I'm working on Monster.exe 2 if anyone's interested. Also, you can give me suggestions and talk about it here... Again, if anyone's interested. I think I'll accept any community help if you want to contribute. Also, does it count as triple posting if it has time between the posts?

Don't kill me, it doesn't count as bumping, okay?
Sašo wrote:Bumping threads is fine as long as you add something to the discussion or bring up to date information regarding it. Bumping with just "this is cool/terrible/whatever" is pointless and wastes everyone's time. If your thread is inactive, you can use the board's Bump Thread feature, which is available after 3 days of inactivity in the lower left corner of the page.
--Edit--

Features:
  • Better levels.
  • Totally original, made by me tiles.
  • New level themes that weren't used in the first Mappack.
  • TIleset will be smaller, so anyone can play the Mappack.
  • Awesome new music.
  • 8 worlds!
  • Promises for even a THIRD Monster.exe, that will be the end of the trilogy.
--Edit2--
Playing around with my tiles.

--Edit3--
The Title Screen

SuperDylan13

Post » 23 Jul 2013, 09:40

Monster.exe reminds me of a monster and an exe file (Sonic.EXE)