Super Portal Bros. [Revised] [Completed]

Mapping related threads and questions go in here!
Turtle95

Post » 24 Feb 2013, 08:12

Hello!

After a long time of making mods, I'm going to make a nice little mappack. Instead of using a mod for it, I'm using vanilla Mari0 and custom tiles. This map is a revision to my old, crappy one which is lost in the sea of these other--better--mappacks. So what was the reason the old version was crap? Pretty much boring puzzles that may have been broken. I also didn't exactly like it anyway. So, I have decided to revise the old, and bring in the new. Now every odd world is a Mario challenge, and x-2 is a Portal challenge. x-4 will consist of both Portal and Mario challenges. Although 1-1 has a kind of mix of Portal/SMB challenge (as seen in the top left image) I may want to revise it to fit the previously stated rules.

The new version of Super Portal Bros. will, as stated, have a custom tile set to go along with the normal game's tiles. I have featured a classic Portal song for the Portal-style puzzles.

If you find any bugs, please post them. Such could be a broken level, unintended solution, or god knows what else it could be. So, that said I would also appreciate some criticism on it. I am not 100% sure of how many worlds I will be satisfied in making, but I'll probably aim for about four. If this gets enough hype, maybe all eight worlds.

Here's some screenshots:

Super Portal Bros. v2

Updates:
v2.1: Fixed 2-4_2
v2: Completed mappack
v1.1: added up to 3-1
Last edited by Turtle95 on 10 Mar 2013, 23:59, edited 2 times in total.

Turtle95

Post » 25 Feb 2013, 22:59

Updated the mappack.

Superjustinbros

Post » 25 Feb 2013, 23:34

>opens up map pack
>finds one of the most common tile sets used in custom map packs which ignores FC/NES color limits and some tiles even being 16bit, and non-portable standard tiles with no ways of distinguishing them from the portable ones (since when were grey tiles meant to be portable and any other colors not)
>mfw

I'd recommend more or so using the custom tile set I made a while back. I can really see this mappack going above and beyond with it in play.
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1326

Turtle95

Post » 09 Mar 2013, 20:33

Superjustinbros wrote:>opens up map pack
>finds one of the most common tile sets used in custom map packs which ignores FC/NES color limits and some tiles even being 16bit, and non-portable standard tiles with no ways of distinguishing them from the portable ones (since when were grey tiles meant to be portable and any other colors not)
>mfw

I'd recommend more or so using the custom tile set I made a while back. I can really see this mappack going above and beyond with it in play.
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1326
Meh, that's kind of the point of a challenging mappack imo. The tileset is Q Mark's so don't yell at me about the tiles.

Turtle95

Post » 10 Mar 2013, 08:11

Updated the mappack!

I shortened the music to make the puzzles less laggy due to loading the song. This also let the mappack be shrunk (as of completion) from 1.12MB down to 548KB. Furthermore, I modified the tileset a bit, which is Q Mark's, combining it with a few tiles from The Testing Track tileset. So credit is due to Sonic Stalker for them.