Brickblock (Updated 1.0 = Full)

Mapping related threads and questions go in here!
HansAgain

Post » 12 Feb 2013, 18:24

Most simple description ever: its my mappack.
Real description: 2 (and a half) worlds of fun jumping and tests that i won't put in future mappacks.
Story: Mario jumping and walking around the levels. Basically no story.

Links:
0.1(first 2 levels)
0.3 (First world,"wall spawn" retired,tileset change)
0.6 (First 2 worlds, more time to do things, tileset expanded and more surprises)
1.0 (Fixed, Ten level (i think is finished), heavy gravity puzzles (BobTheLawyer's mappack gives me the idea))
Last edited by HansAgain on 14 Dec 2013, 18:22, edited 7 times in total.

jokekid

Post » 12 Feb 2013, 18:55

i really liked how everything looks, i do have some minor and also some major "complaints" or "issues" with it.

level1:
-i had to go into the level editor myself and place a mario spawn entity, why the hell would you make mario spawn in a wall?
-no checkpoints, this bugged me a bit, since it's not too long to beat, but it's too long to begin from the beginning if you die halfway through... just 1 check point should be enough.

level2:
-assuming this is supposed to be inside a building, i felt more like i was just in a night themed stage, try using a custom background, i could make u a simple one if you want me to...
-1-up spam... seriously, was that puzzle really 5 lifes worth? (not sure if it were 5, i just remember there were a lot...)

cool stuff:
level1:
-the 1-up, i love how you've hidden it without really hiding it, it's perfect for a first level.

level2:
-the hidden puzzle was great, i really liked it, and actually died at my first attempt because i ran out of time, it's not hard to figure out, instead it's hard to execute, i really like it.

generally great use of the tileset, it's actually a NES tileset, which makes it even better, cool breakable boxes.

so yeah, it has it's ups and it's downs, but i really enjoyed it despite the flaws before mentioned, i await more levels from you in this or another theme ^^

HansAgain

Post » 12 Feb 2013, 19:21

jokekid wrote:level1:
-i had to go into the level editor myself and place a mario spawn entity, why the hell would you make mario spawn in a wall?
-no checkpoints, this bugged me a bit, since it's not too long to beat, but it's too long to begin from the beginning if you die halfway through... just 1 check point should be enough.
-the "wall spawn" was an obstacle (but i will remove it in the next version) and i will put a checkpoint too.

Superjustinbros

Post » 12 Feb 2013, 22:36

I'll give this a go later; The tileset is pretty unique and well designed, even if it is simple. :)

Legend_of_Kirby

Post » 12 Feb 2013, 23:32

Look good, And hans... That is the best avatar. Period.

TheSeek

Post » 12 Feb 2013, 23:59

Nice map.

If you don't mind a small suggestion on the tiles...
the light yellow background tiles using black outlines just like the regular tiles make it a bit trippy, especially when there are a lot of them(like in the 3rd screenshot), so i thought you could make the outlines with 2 shades of gray:
IMHO, it looks much better.

HansAgain

Post » 13 Feb 2013, 01:33

TheSeek wrote:Nice map.

If you don't mind a small suggestion on the tiles...
the light yellow background tiles using black outlines just like the regular tiles make it a bit trippy, especially when there are a lot of them(like in the 3rd screenshot), so i thought you could make the outlines with 2 shades of gray:
IMHO, it looks much better.
Ok, i will change it.

HansAgain

Post » 13 Feb 2013, 02:56

Updated:
version 0.3
with:
-first world complete
-Tileset change
"wall spawn" retired.

Superjustinbros

Post » 13 Feb 2013, 05:25

Played the demo. All I can say thus far:

*Go easy on the secrets, especially early on in the game.
*Make the reset pipes look more obvious that they're reset pipes.

Otherwise can't wait to see the final. :)

EDIT: Maybe increase the time in 1-3?

HansAgain

Post » 14 Feb 2013, 19:43

Finally!Version 0.6!
-First 2 worlds.
-Tileset expanded.
-Time increased.
-Etc.

Superjustinbros

Post » 15 Feb 2013, 03:43

Bro, take it easy with the lasers. This isn't a Kaizo-grade mappack, especially insulting considering it's only the first segment of the first level. Any attempt at launching a jump off the higher platform always will kill you even as Small Mario.

The part directly following it is also a bitt too difficult for the first level. Try to remove the Pirhana Plants in the first and third pits (whenever or not you want to keep the Goombas is up to you).

With 1-3, you should stick the respawn after first reset pipe after the stack of unportable crates, so players don't have to redo the first jump up that requires some clever portal stealth to pull off.

With 2-1, it's very unlikely this'll happen, but it's possible to portal both Koopas off the edge of the screen to the point where he will never return. It's also recommended to place Faith plates on only unportable tiles, as playing around with portals when one is placed on a Faith plate can cause some unusual situations. The Koopa block puzzle is also very slow, my timer was down to the 150's the instant it was finished.

I do love your use of the downwards one way blocks in 2-2 and the blocks that block lasers.

2-3. I don't think you need this many Cheep Cheeps at the start of the level... Also, destroy the crates, portal back to the left of the Light Bridge, and you're stuck forever.

HansAgain

Post » 15 Feb 2013, 06:44

The laser of the first level was an error, i was doing something and i forget to erase the laser. All will be changed later because i can't do it now.

HansAgain

Post » 15 Feb 2013, 06:44

EDITED: My troll-phone made double post.

HansAgain

Post » 17 Feb 2013, 23:17

Okay, finally updated to 1.0.
No more level or another mappacks for a long time.

Villager103

Post » 14 Oct 2013, 04:44

Hans1998 wrote:Okay, finally updated to 1.0.
No more level or another mappacks for a long time.
No triple-posts! They are bad.

Firaga

Post » 14 Oct 2013, 04:49

You didn't get the message the first time, or the second time, or the eighteenth time, so let me say it again.
Stop bumping threads that are at least one month old without adding anything to the discussion.
You've done it time and time again, even after saying sorry. At this point, you aren't sorry, and I have a feeling you're going to keep doing it.