legend of zelda ocarina of time [WIP] new deku tree!

Mapping related threads and questions go in here!
jokekid

Post » 08 Feb 2013, 21:40

INTRODUCTION:

wel, i saw this video on youtube, about a kokiri forest map, using only mario tiles, and i thought, hey, i could try that as well, but with custom tiles!
so now, here i am, making a full mappack of 31 levels (had to skip one due to some coordination stuff you'll understand later).

WHAT THIS WILL BE WHEN FINISHED:

a full mappack, 8 worlds, this will contain only young link's great adventure through hyrule, although you'll be mario with a portal gun. . .

here is the list i made for myself, so i dont loose track of what im doing:

KOKIRI FOREST AND DEKU TREE:
1-1 get sword and shield and enter the deku tree. (no hazards, only jumping and portaling)
1-2 get slingshot, go down the web. ( jumping and piranha plants, and portal catapult)
1-3 find gohma. (plattforming, piranha plants and cube puzzles)
1-4 gohma battle. (survival boss)

HYRULE FIELD:
2-1 leave kokiri forest (backwards plattforming level)
2-2 cross hyrule field (koopa troopa red and green)
2-3 get in hyrule castle (red lazer guard avoiding maze [easy])
2-4 get to princess zelda (spikey guard maze [medium])

SIDE QUESTS:
3-1 epona song and go to kakariko (hyrule field part has koopas, lon lon ranch has cube puzzles)
3-2 cucco quest and sun's song (collect the cubes (cucco); graveyard has grey goombas and koopas; grave has piranha plants, grey goombas and koopas and plattforming)
3-3 climb the death mountain (kakariko part is flat backscrolling plattforming, death mountain is plattforming with paratroopas)

GORON CITY:
4-1 find darunia and the secret passageway to lost woods. (goron city has a multi layered simple maze)
4-2 find saria and learn her song- (lost woods is a bit more complicated maze, sacred meadow has plattforming with piranha plants and koopas)
4-3 get back to goron city. (same as before but backwards)
4-4 find darunia and enter dodongo's cavern. (maze and plattforming)

DODONGO'S CAVERN:
5-1\
5-2 I-> dodongo cavern (overall plattforming and puzzles, troopas and paratroopas as enemies)
5-3/
5-4 dodongo king battle (survival boss)

ZORA'S DOMAIN:
6-1 quick version of death mountain, kakariko and hyrule field.
6-2 zora river. (plattforming and cube (cucco) puzzle koopa troopas)
6-3 get the silver scale, get to lake hylia and retrieve ruto's letter (plattforming and underwater level)
6-4 get inside lord jabu jabu.

INSIDE LORD JABU JABU:
7-1\ lord jabu jabu dungeon (puzzles, puzzles, and more puzzles, with some goombas, troopas and piranha plants)
7-2 I-> giant octorok battle
7-3/ lord jabu jabu dungeon (puzzles, puzzles, and more puzzles, with some goombas, troopas and piranha plants)
7-4 barinade battle (hard survival boss combined with puzzle boss)

GROW UP ALREADY!:
8-1 get FARORE's wind (lot of jumping)
8-2 go to hyrule castle (same as always condition-wise)
8-3 get DIN's fire (lot of red laser)
8-4 find the master shroom!

here are some pictures ordered by date:

DOWNLOAD LATEST DEMO

version history:
0.1beta first release, only one level.
0.1.2 world 1 completed boss fight included.

MISC.

link character, to be used with this mod: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2963

http://www.mediafire.com/?anlvu49oc9461uq
Last edited by jokekid on 17 Feb 2013, 18:46, edited 7 times in total.

ucenna

Post » 08 Feb 2013, 23:00

At first I was sceptical, but now that I see it I think it's awesome! A few things though, OOT was know for it's seemingly endless explorability. With that in mind I recommend you make all of the buildings accessible. Furthermore the side quests were supposed to be just what they were, side quests. I think they should be optional, built in to other levels. When you get farther along (assuming you take the above suggestions) you might want to make it more navigable. Say being able to go back to kokiri forest to do a side quest. and what not. Other than that, I think this has great potential.

Legend_of_Kirby

Post » 08 Feb 2013, 23:30

Looks...Good! Wow I can't wait to see.

jokekid

Post » 08 Feb 2013, 23:46

ucenna wrote:At first I was sceptical, but now that I see it I think it's awesome! A few things though, OOT was know for it's seemingly endless explorability. With that in mind I recommend you make all of the buildings accessible. Furthermore the side quests were supposed to be just what they were, side quests. I think they should be optional, built in to other levels. When you get farther along (assuming you take the above suggestions) you might want to make it more navigable. Say being able to go back to kokiri forest to do a side quest. and what not. Other than that, I think this has great potential.
ive had some serious thinking myself about this, those side quests, are the most common ones, that actually a lot of players do on their first playthrough, and they fit in the overall travelling in this pack.
also, the exploring factor, i know OOT was known for it's explorability, but i alo know this is a mappack for mari0, and thus im making a mari0 game mappack, which means just plain through levels, from 1 to 2 and from 3 to 4, which is what caracterizes the old mario games.
Legend_of_Kirby wrote:Looks...Good! Wow I can't wait to see.
thanks a lot!

@everyone:
please try it out and gimme feedback, mainly on the tileset, im making it 100% myself, using my own texture rips of OoT.

also, there's one graphic i actually made myself, which is the deku tree, what do you think about it?

Superjustinbros

Post » 09 Feb 2013, 00:08

My gosh this looks impressive.

A few things worth noting, Don't be afraid to male multiple tiles for one object, like the left end of the background in the last screenshot, or the ground tiles.

jokekid

Post » 09 Feb 2013, 00:35

Superjustinbros wrote:My gosh this looks impressive.

A few things worth noting, Don't be afraid to male multiple tiles for one object, like the left end of the background in the last screenshot, or the ground tiles.
thanks a lot!
although, the "impressiveness" is more cuz of the tiles than the actual level design... i hope to be able to pull off some nice dungeons...

what does "male multiple tiles" mean?

Legend_of_Kirby

Post » 09 Feb 2013, 01:51

This is So good but I can't stand there isn't an Icon so...Image
(Not Made by me)

Superjustinbros

Post » 09 Feb 2013, 01:52

jokekid wrote: what does "male multiple tiles" mean?
I meant to say "make" multiple tiles. My bad.

jokekid

Post » 09 Feb 2013, 02:16

ive finished the first room of 1-2 as of now, it's going slow because im making the tileset as i need the tiles, although it's more fun this way, since it has more diversity in the making xD

have a picture:

TheHamster400

Post » 09 Feb 2013, 02:23

jokekid wrote:ive finished the first room of 1-2 as of now, it's going slow because im making the tileset as i need the tiles, although it's more fun this way, since it has more diversity in the making xD

have a picture:

*Picture*
This seems good but make the pictures scale 1 they are too big.

ucenna

Post » 09 Feb 2013, 02:48

jokekid wrote:
ucenna wrote:At first I was sceptical, but now that I see it I think it's awesome! A few things though, OOT was know for it's seemingly endless explorability. With that in mind I recommend you make all of the buildings accessible. Furthermore the side quests were supposed to be just what they were, side quests. I think they should be optional, built in to other levels. When you get farther along (assuming you take the above suggestions) you might want to make it more navigable. Say being able to go back to kokiri forest to do a side quest. and what not. Other than that, I think this has great potential.
ive had some serious thinking myself about this, those side quests, are the most common ones, that actually a lot of players do on their first playthrough, and they fit in the overall travelling in this pack.
also, the exploring factor, i know OOT was known for it's explorability, but i alo know this is a mappack for mari0, and thus im making a mari0 game mappack, which means just plain through levels, from 1 to 2 and from 3 to 4, which is what caracterizes the old mario games.
Got ya. Although I still think it would be cool if you could go in all the houses...
Well, maybe sometime I'll make my one OoT mappack...

jokekid

Post » 09 Feb 2013, 14:31

i dont really see why the pictures are considered too big...
they fit perfectly in the forum's width...

anyway, i'll get to finish 1-2, and start 1-3

if anybody would like to help with puzzle designing (specially the bosses) all help is welcome, just make it in the regular tileset, using portal tiles to show what should be non-portable, i'll see how i make it fit the theme using OoT tiles ^^

WesleyB

Post » 09 Feb 2013, 16:32

Wow this looks amazing.
Kind of wish you'd wait for SE so you can really maximize the potential.

BobTheLawyer

Post » 09 Feb 2013, 17:44

NO
Too many people wait for SE

jokekid

Post » 09 Feb 2013, 22:43

not using all that much entities other than monsters and some ocasional lasers, so it wont be a big thing, and if SE comes out anytime soon, it'll probably make me make custom monsters for the bosses, instead of survivals

btw, just finished 1-2, there is a small thing that looks weird, but it's because of how i want it to work, here's a picture:

falling down the level makes you advance, to make this work, i had to make the sublevel a bonus level, and bonus levels are entered through vines...

EDIT: i need help, how can i make a passworded gate? i want this for before the boss door in the deku tree...

so far i have made 3 doors and 3 red lasers, but idk how o make it so if you press a button in the incorrect order, a laser gate will ativate...

jokekid

Post » 11 Feb 2013, 09:25

sorry for double post, but any feedback please?

did anyone actually noticed i have updated the download? xD

Sky

Post » 11 Feb 2013, 09:31

jokekid wrote:sorry for double post, but any feedback please?

did anyone actually noticed i have updated the download? xD
Calmly, calmly. People are slow to comment around here (for whatever reason), and besides, it's only been a day or two.
I'd comment for you, but I haven't played this yet. Yet.

jokekid

Post » 11 Feb 2013, 10:32

be sure to try it out, if im allowed to say this, i think some stuff came out really nice, somce stuff may need a revision later, when this is further developed...

look at this awesome deku tree! and it doesnt use tiles!

i'll make 1-1's deku tree like this as well!

jokekid

Post » 12 Feb 2013, 00:29

progress post:

world 1 is completely finished, with a new and better deku tree, when you enter, and also when you get out.

finished the following levels: 2-1, 2-2, started 2-3.

im starting to get the hang of adding detail through the use of multi-layered backgrounds.

i have full plans for the level 2-3 and 2-4 puzzles, as well as for the dodongo king...

also, 1-3 has a weird bug, a one of the checkpoints, if you die, it destroys the hazard... (the floating bridge with double laser walls)

also, im recording some gameplay to try and make a first trailer, wihtout revealing too much

TheHamster400

Post » 12 Feb 2013, 00:40

This mappack is getting good. I want to download it but  I'm not allowed to and stuff . Can you give the code for the levels you completed.

jokekid

Post » 12 Feb 2013, 00:51

TheHamster400 wrote:This mappack is getting good. I want to download it but  I'm not allowed to and stuff . Can you give the code for the levels you completed.
what do you mean you're not allowed to?, is the link set to private? O_o

TheHamster400

Post » 12 Feb 2013, 01:54

jokekid wrote:
TheHamster400 wrote:This mappack is getting good. I want to download it but  I'm not allowed to and stuff . Can you give the code for the levels you completed.
It's not my computer i'm using. So I'm not allowed to download stuff.

Mari0Maker

Post » 12 Feb 2013, 02:19

TheHamster400 wrote:
jokekid wrote:
It's not my computer i'm using. So I'm not allowed to download stuff.
You would need the tileset too, so that would mean your downloading.
Unless you could sort through that somehow.

TheHamster400

Post » 12 Feb 2013, 02:33

I could copy and paste the tiles onto a program and save the photo. I did it before.

BobTheLawyer

Post » 12 Feb 2013, 03:28

1-1,2,3, Very nice. Puzzles that are pretty fun.
1-4, Major entity spam.

jokekid

Post » 12 Feb 2013, 10:44

i dont consider it entity spam at all, since it's all pretty planned out, nothing is completely random, at every "hit" the boss gets a bit harder, which means it'll attack more, the falling monsters are supposed to represent gohma larvas, since they always fall from the ceiling, and well, the bullet bills and fireballs are just to give it some random attack pattern.

has anybody had a glitch in 1-4's final button, where the "timer goombas" glitch onto each other, leaving you no option to move further because they stop moving?
this has only happened me once, and it was in the editor's level test, which i've seen isn't 100% like actually playing it...

i think i've found a nice way to update this, since i'll be working everyday a bit, i'll just post replies at the morning (now), and post progress of what i've done that day at night (like my previous post), and i've read the rules about bumping, and it says it is allowed as long as you apport new information to the discussion, so that would be fine, right?

and about posting the files, they are way too many, i use a tileset, and every level has at least one background file, summing up 29 images at the current state of development.

TheHamster400

Post » 13 Feb 2013, 00:40

jokekid wrote:and about posting the files, they are way too many, i use a tileset, and every level has at least one background file, summing up 29 images at the current state of development.
Do you mean the code because the background is part of the code. Just go into this mappacks folder and copy the notebook's code of each level. Then just post the tileset. You can even PM people.

jokekid

Post » 17 Feb 2013, 18:46

TheHamster400 wrote:
jokekid wrote:and about posting the files, they are way too many, i use a tileset, and every level has at least one background file, summing up 29 images at the current state of development.
Do you mean the code because the background is part of the code. Just go into this mappacks folder and copy the notebook's code of each level. Then just post the tileset. You can even PM people.
dude, i know perfectly how everything is set up, the background are custom ones, which means lots of .png files...
or just ask permission to download it, and if ur at school, then you shouldn't even be playing games ...

on another note, im gonna end up using mods for this, although i'll have a non-modded version as well of course, in this mod, you will actually be link, here is my almost 8-bit link when small:

i say almost 8 bit, cuz ive actually used 5 colors, the 3 customizable colors are green, yellow and brown, meaning, tunic, hair and boots/belt

now i gotta make the big one. . .

Last bumped by jokekid on 17 Feb 2013, 18:46.