Super Mario Bros. Extended

Mapping related threads and questions go in here!
Superjustinbros

Post » 04 Feb 2013, 05:29

Created with the big assistance of Qcode's "Infinite Worlds" mod and Renhoek's SMB2J mappack, this is a level set that combines both SMB1 and SMB2J into one mappack; you play all the SMB2J levels (including it's respective bonus worlds) after you finish with SMB1, and specific warps now connect between SMB and SMB2's worlds, and the normal and bonus worlds of 2J.
Duplicate levels (ex. SMB1 1-3 and 5-3) have not been changed.

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/?yke1l6as6qyacla

You need this mod: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2457, which requires LOVE to run.
Alternatively, you may also opt to use the SJB Mod, which is also compatible with this map pack: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2326

May decide to further change what world(s) the warp pipes lead to.
Last edited by Superjustinbros on 01 Jan 2014, 04:27, edited 6 times in total.

ucenna

Post » 04 Feb 2013, 06:26

Nice! Have you every considered adding the glitch levels, being those you get to if you add flagpole to M-1 and 8-4? Seeing that you like rom hacks it seemed right up your alley.

Superjustinbros

Post » 04 Feb 2013, 07:51

ucenna wrote:Nice! Have you every considered adding the glitch levels, being those you get to if you add flagpole to M-1 and 8-4? Seeing that you like rom hacks it seemed right up your alley.
I don't really think I'd be up for doing that. While I may be the most obsessed with ROM hacks of SMB1 of anyone on these forums and getting Mari0's consistency to the source material as perfect as it can get, I don't really see the purpose of doing glitched levels. Besides, I took out the Minus World in this mappack, Mari0 doesn't have support for additional levels in the same world (the max being 4, though I could start with only the glitch levels), and even if so, at least 80% of the time the glitch levels are just flooded versions of the levels from SMB1, using the underwater tileset and palette; changing the ground blocks to the basic sea blocks, brick blocks that have nothing in them into indestructible coral (with a blue box, colors can be different if any other theme is set). and making trees, bushes, mountains, pipes, flagpoles, and hilltops that blue/pink combo the solo pipe in 8-4's underwater segment uses.

If anyone'd like further explanation of transforming every level in SMB1 into "Underwater" forms, I do have the hack Sea Mario Bros which I posted in the "Proper Palettes for Underwater Objects" thread, though since I used it to show off stuff that were missed in vanilla Mari0's default tile set, there's more than just underwater levels. Warps are inaccessible since 1-2 and 4-2 are now underwater.

If you want to make the default SMB as crazy and "glitchy" as you like, I've revamped Sea Mario Bros so it displays just about every object using every pallette, which combined with the SMB tile set I put on the Spriters Resource can be used to produce the same results as the "after X-4" levels in Mari0. http://www.mediafire.com/?cw0zx9tzvstz9dy

EDIT: Seems like I ended up breaking the overground Warp Zone in 4-2. Because now it loads data from the underground Warp Zone that leads to World 5 (I displayed it so the left pipe leads to World 9, and the right pipe World A (a deathtrap). When I changed them back to warp to World 36, their default, which leads to the Minus World (it's set in such a way with no pixels drawn there so then they wouldn't display text since there weren't two outer pipes in 4-2's underground Warp Zone.

In the SMB Hack Collection I posted in the SMB Hack Port Project, there is a modified ROM in there called "Mario W-256 (SMB1 Hack)". The twist with this one; when you win the game and get the option to pick a world with the B button at the title screen, it doesn't go back to World 1 after passing World 8, but continues on to Worlds 9, A-Z (Worlds 10 to 35), then immediately after it goes to World 36, the Minus World, labeled as World "Blank" in game, and then any world after that is represented by a 8x8 tile in the ROM. Eventually it ends and loops back to World 0.

So is anyone here getting the concept about the Minus World's true existence? Like how exactly the data for the Minus World is coded into the underground Warp Zone in 4-2 but is left blank because there are no pipes in those positions to enter, so they made it World 36 because the 36th graphic is just a blank space.

Yea, I could write a novel about this. -__-

ucenna

Post » 04 Feb 2013, 08:25

...Wow...
Yeah that bit about the levels after 8 being underwater revamps makes sense seeing that that's what the minus world probably would be if it wasn't already a revamped minus world. Pity my maps minus world doesn't follow the criteria. I don't think I'll make it meet the criteria after all the work I've put into it anyway.
Great reply though!

Superjustinbros

Post » 06 Feb 2013, 02:32

Minor updates to the mapack.

UPDATE: And yet another edit.

http://www.mediafire.com/?dqgp9jol6cdz6q8

Superjustinbros

Post » 08 Mar 2013, 18:57

Danfun64

Post » 09 Mar 2013, 22:41

I have a couple requests.

1. Can you include the Super Mario Bros Deluxe, the *unique* VS Super Mario Bros levels (if any), and the *unique* All Night Nippon Super Mario Bros levels (if any).
2. Can you release 2 versions of this? (1 for just the infinite sublevels mod, and 1 for SJB Mod, seeing that you made minor modifications to the SMB levels in the SJB Mod.

Thanks in advance

Superjustinbros

Post » 10 Mar 2013, 05:18

Danfun64 wrote:I have a couple requests.

1. Can you include the Super Mario Bros Deluxe, the *unique* VS Super Mario Bros levels (if any), and the *unique* All Night Nippon Super Mario Bros levels (if any).
2. Can you release 2 versions of this? (1 for just the infinite sublevels mod, and 1 for SJB Mod, seeing that you made minor modifications to the SMB levels in the SJB Mod.

Thanks in advance
1. There is a reason why neither of those were included:
-The Super Mario Bros. Deluxe levels are exact replicas of both SMB1 and 2J, and the VS levels are too easy in comparison to to main levels, mostly in the cases of being very lacking in terms of enemies, and powerups are far too common, with one being in every ? block.
-None of the levels is VSSMB or ANNSMB are unique; they are just minor edits of SMB1 levels with some 2J levels thrown in.
2. Any mod that has the "Infinite Worlds" feature intact (including Qcode's default mod and my SJB mod) can run this mappack perfectly.

I have considered adding in two additional worlds after 2J's World D but before 2J's World 9: the eight exclusive levels from the SMW ROM hack Super Mario Bros. Enhanced.

I guess you can say this project was launched as a "better execution" to Insectduel's recent "SMB Extended" hack, since it uses a terrible original level for 9-1 and ridiculously easy levels (half being the SMBDX VS levels) throughout the rest of the game.
Last edited by Superjustinbros on 04 Jul 2013, 13:25, edited 1 time in total.

Danfun64

Post » 10 Mar 2013, 21:57

Opps. I meant to say the Super Mario Bros. Special levels.

If you do this, I would prefer it if you don't use the graphics from that game.

Superjustinbros

Post » 11 Mar 2013, 00:50

Danfun64 wrote:Opps. I meant to say the Super Mario Bros. Special levels.

If you do this, I would prefer it if you don't use the graphics from that game.
Normally I would, but I want the levels to resemble what would be possible on the original hardware, i.e. with the background objects being repeats and the basic ground tile never shown beyond the first bottom two rows. Besides, some of those levels feel very empty and not challenging after the third world.

You're rather off playing the SMBS mappack by itself.

maidenTREE

Post » 13 Apr 2013, 19:59

Can you create a version of the mappack featuring the SMB2LL tiles? I rather would want the SMB2LL tiles rather than modded SMB tiles.

Superjustinbros

Post » 04 Jul 2013, 06:11

I wouldn't hold my breath on it. Personally I like SMB1's tileset more than SMB2J's, and I wanted the game to not feel like you're jumping into an entirely new game once you cross the SMB1/2J boundary.

Last bumped by Superjustinbros on 04 Jul 2013, 06:11.