As time g0es on... [MAP PACK]

Mapping related threads and questions go in here!
Smear-Gel

Post » 15 Dec 2012, 00:40

So it's finally done. My very first completed map pack.

It's a map pack inspired by Jorichi's "The Flow of Time" map pack and tile set

It's based around the concept of the passage of time. For most of the game you are playing the same level over and over but time has passed between each playthrough. This comes with changes to the terrain as the stage deteriorates changing how you play and experience the level each time. There's alternate paths, and sometimes the changes will force you to find a new way to complete the level.

There's 13 levels and tonnes of secrets contained. I tried to make the map have replay value as most of the levels have two paths you can take to complete it. Things you do in later levels will make you realize an alternate path you could have taken earlier. Some you may only find out about later. I tried to make the map have replay value.

Here's some screenshots: Image

I hope you enjoy it. Feedback would be welcome.

Download Link

Have fun!

[Edit] Fixed a couple mistakes.
Last edited by Smear-Gel on 22 Feb 2013, 16:07, edited 7 times in total.

Superjustinbros

Post » 15 Dec 2012, 03:08

Insight on each level:

1-1: Don't really like the concepts of two Multi-Coin blocks side-by side. But anyways when I played with my mod, I noticed some of the main tiles were different from one another. Also no reset pipe in the secret room (should be a Buzzy Beetle so you don't accidentally fry it)
1-2: One of the clouds early in the level is missing a tile.
1-3: Not really a fan of having to go off screen just to pass the large formation of bricks that extends to the top of the screen. I also noticed you only need one checkpoint entity on the ground, not a whole line of them.
1-4: No ruined underwater tiles? Also very suspicious Cheep Cheep placement; try to scatter them around and decrease the numbers of the, alike the second set of them right before the exit pipe
2-1: The icicle tiles (well, the ones w/o dark outlines) and ice blocks and rusted non-portable blocks look very outplaced in comparison to the rest of the tiles.
2-3: Lack of ruined SMB ground blocks. in the underground portion of the level.
3-3: Ala 1-1 playing with mod=incorrect tiles. Also how does a run-down grassland become suddenly infested with lava? Also overuse of Spinies.
3-4: You don't start from the beginning of the level.
4-1: Yay 8-bit music that uses that auto 8-bit music converter. If you're going to use an 8-bit theme of something, please do it via Famitracker.
Last edited by Superjustinbros on 15 Dec 2012, 07:05, edited 1 time in total.

Smear-Gel

Post » 15 Dec 2012, 03:40

I never play with mods so don't feel very motivated to fix the tiles that all look fine unmodded. What do you mean different anyways?

The icicle tiles do look a smidge out of place (although to me, not too much) but I can't really change them.

Lack of what in 2-3? Where?

Oh poo I thought I removed all the "mario starts here" entities from the middle of the levels. I wanna take down the map to fix that and reupload it but if I do I'd be uploading on monday.

As for the underground occasionally having newer tiles, that was done on purpose. Like in 2-4 which I think is the first underwater level, the area was "preserved from the elements" so to speak.

The place goes to lava because it's supposed to be nearing the end of the world.

Famitracker. Thanks.

Did you actually enjoy it though? Kinda annoyed you didn't actually put your opinion of the map.

Either way I do appreciate the feedback.

Superjustinbros

Post » 15 Dec 2012, 07:36

In my SJB mod, the tiles are colored differently than the duplicates used in the custom tile set.

You can use Paint.NET to edit the icicle tiles.

I don't think a piece of land would instantly jump from being flooded to being enclosed in lava in an instant.

Otherwise I do enjoy this mappack, and I hope to see more like these in the future.

Svetsunov

Post » 15 Dec 2012, 07:55

It gets kinda stale after world 1.

It would be neater for each world to be a different level, and have all 4 levels in that world be a different age.

Gameplay wise it's not bad, but there are a couple of situations where you can actually get "stuck" and unable to move out a certain location(Pipe walls are too big). it also looks pretty good visually, and it has a nice feel/atmosphere to it.

I'd enjoy seeing more work from you in the future =)

Smear-Gel

Post » 15 Dec 2012, 10:47

For some reason paint.net never loads for me. I do have gimp portable though. But the reason I can't change them is being a novice at spriting. I guess I could try something. I want to practice anyways.

The time passages aren't instant, more like 50 or so years at the beginning and a bit longer near the end. I had to make sort of a big jump though at that point because the alternative was a lot more levels I didn't really want to make.

Svetsunov I thought I got rid of all the places to get stuck but I think I know which place you're talking about. Although I think wall climbing with portals may be able to get you out.

Yeah, I guess the concept of replaying the same level opens up the possibility of being kinda stale to some. I did try my best to make the levels as different as possible, especially near the end.

Thanks for the feedback though. It's nice to know I did a good job. :)

And I'll take all this into account when making my next map with these tiles.

freakstorm101

Post » 23 Dec 2012, 00:26

I loved it, you should do this again but make it in Bowsers Castle.

Smear-Gel

Post » 23 Dec 2012, 21:14

Sweet! Glad you liked it.

Bowser's Castle would need new tiles. But I'll consider it because I wanna make another map like this and ideas would be welcome.

freakstorm101

Post » 24 Dec 2012, 11:39

Another idea. Portal, Aperture science ages, like Portal 2 except take it further.

Smear-Gel

Post » 24 Dec 2012, 19:07

I don't have any aged Portal Tiles but I guess I can try something or get help.

Actually I wanted to put some portal maps in this too but decided not to. So I already have ideas for that. Probably make it so the portalable tiles become non portalable over time.

SonicStalker

Post » 30 Jan 2013, 05:50

I tried downloading it, but when I unzipped it it said that file: "1-1" (assumably the first level) was password protected! Is this intentional? If so what is the password, because this game looks pretty fun and I'm excited to play it.

Smear-Gel

Post » 30 Jan 2013, 20:13

SonicStalker wrote:I tried downloading it, but when I unzipped it it said that file: "1-1" (assumably the first level) was password protected! Is this intentional? If so what is the password, because this game looks pretty fun and I'm excited to play it.

Nope. I have no idea what's wrong. But I'll download and see if I'm having the same problems. No-one else has had that problem though.

Smear-Gel

Post » 30 Jan 2013, 20:20

Nope. Downloaded and playing the map now, no problems. Maybe it's your computer's settings.

FaycalMenouar

Post » 01 Feb 2013, 01:11

i like this ,i'll upload a video about everygood mappack in my decent youtube channel. thanks

Smear-Gel

Post » 01 Feb 2013, 19:09

FaycalMenouar wrote:i like this ,i'll upload a video about everygood mappack in my decent youtube channel. thanks

Neat, thanks.

Villager103

Post » 10 Sep 2013, 02:04

Run-down grassland to lavaland eh?

Answer: Volcanic Eruption.

Mari0Maker

Post » 10 Sep 2013, 02:10

Please don't bump threads for no purpose with nothing to contribute to the thread or mappack.