[WIP] Zeta (v0.51)

Mapping related threads and questions go in here!
Sky

Post » 31 Oct 2012, 00:09

Zeta (v0.51)

Not a mappack of gold, but it's still pretty.

This mappack began mostly as a tileset experiment, and has evolved into a mappack of its own. It uses a modified version of Superjustinbros's extra-colorful tileset - modified in such a way that it actually fits in memory now. I plan to use just about every color anyway, so it isn't just there for novelty. However, just because I messed with the shape of the tileset to be wider and less tall doesn't mean it takes up less space. That said:

This mappack will take a long time to load. In very, very, VERY rare cases, some computers may not be able to run it at all (mostly computers with no graphics drivers). Please take this into consideration when downloading this mappack - but don't skip it just because you don't think you can run it.

About this mappack:

Zeta is an homage to the classic games, especially SMB. It is meant to play like the original games with some new life and color - and, of course, Portal elements. Everything is used to its fullest to tell a story, whether it be the colors, the lighting, the enemy placement, or the block placement. Text is also used as a modern medium.

Each X-3 level has two elements beyond the normal overworld section. The player will travel through an abandoned version of SMB's X-4 castle level; for example, the cavern in 2-3 of Zeta is functionally equivalent to 2-4 from SMB. It has not changed over time except for the fact that Mario has already been through here once and collected its goodies, meaning that all ? blocks are empty and all coins are collected - even the bridge at the end is out.

The other part of an X-3 level is its airship run; Mario will be chased down by Bullet Bills as he runs under one of Bowser's airships. Quick thinking is the key to survival, as enemies are frequently dropped. Level design itself, however, will rarely be an issue. Airship runs will not take place in 3-3, 7-3, or 8-3.

Version 0.51 info:

The current version is the fifth public version. Because I've been working on this mappack all over the place, the levels included are rather jumpy. They have been crammed together into a couple of worlds, so ignore the current world you're on and read the title in the level itself.

Some semblance of a story has been added to the mappack. See if you can figure it out - it's subject to a little interpretation.

This version contains:

World 1
World 2
World 3-1
Worlds 4-1, 4-2, and 4-3
World 5
World 6-2 (NOTE: Please avoid this level if you are epileptic.)
World 7-1
Worlds 8-1, 8-3, and 8-4
 Worlds 9-1 and 9-2 

Screenshots:
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image

Plans:

The world order will be as follows. Click on a number for the song I will use in that level when Mari0 SE comes out.
1. Familiar Fields 1 2 3 4
2. Wild Climb 1 2 3 4
3. Deep Ruins 1 2 3 4
4. Candy Land 1 2 3 4
5. Frozen Tundra 1 2 3 4
6. Shortcircuit Skies 1 2 3 4
7. Galaxy Run 1 2 3 4
8. Corruption 1 2 3 4
 9. Rainbow Cavern  1 2 3 4

Download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/0tejxepp70rbs5i/Zeta.zip?dl=1
I'd love to know what your favorite level is and why. Maybe I can make more like it.
Of course, if you didn't like any levels, do let me know that as well.
Last edited by Sky on 16 Jan 2016, 07:25, edited 21 times in total.

TripleXero

Post » 31 Oct 2012, 00:43

The mappack is currently downloading, I'll say what I have to say about it later, but do any of the images use 1 pixel width or height in the backgrounds? One time I did that and it severely slowed down the levels it was used it for some reason

Sky

Post » 31 Oct 2012, 01:08

TripleXero wrote:The mappack is currently downloading, I'll say what I have to say about it later, but do any of the images use 1 pixel width or height in the backgrounds? One time I did that and it severely slowed down the levels it was used it for some reason
So I've found myself. The backgrounds are 16x224 pixels.

renhoek

Post » 31 Oct 2012, 02:07

wow willware you've really done a good job with this from what I've seen in the images,
It's nice to see sjb's tileset be used for something other than A0zora as well.
I'd like to see you in the best of stabyourself project once it's alive again.

Superjustinbros

Post » 31 Oct 2012, 14:39

The instant I recover from Hurricane Sandy, this is going into my mappack folder.

Glad to see my tile set being used in another mappack. :)

Sky

Post » 05 Nov 2012, 01:56

I could be working on World 2 right now...

...but I'm having too much fun with this jungle-ruins level theme.
(The background is placeholder.)

Filio

Post » 05 Nov 2012, 02:35

I'm dying to continue making a mappack after seeing this. (Damnit Sandy!)
Some things in the levels seem weird, but this looks nice. I like the backgrounds, even if they are so simple.

Sky

Post » 05 Nov 2012, 04:41

Filio wrote:Some things in the levels seem weird
WHAT
WHAT IS IT
SATISFY THE CUSTOMER
WHAT'S WRONG???

Filio

Post » 05 Nov 2012, 04:46

Whelp, first I meant the pics.
It's just the textures not being pixel-perfect like I must have. :P

Sky

Post » 05 Nov 2012, 04:51

Filio wrote:Whelp, first I meant the pics.
It's just the textures not being pixel-perfect like I must have. :P
Okay... *whew* It's just a minor thing. Calm down, WillWare...
I'M NOT CALMING
I SAID CALM DOWN WILLWARE!!!
TOO MUCH CHOCOLATE IS NOT A GOOD THING

FaycalMenouar

Post » 16 Nov 2012, 16:33

NICE. i can't wait for more levels.

Smear-Gel

Post » 26 Nov 2012, 17:15

I think this is possibly my absolute favourite map pack. Or at the very least in my top 3. This was just so magnificently designed.

Sky

Post » 26 Nov 2012, 18:06

I'm glad I've gotten so many comments, because I've been neglecting to work on this...
I think I can get something done now. If I can stop playing Paper Mario for thirty seconds. Maybe I can have World 2 done by the end of the week? (No promises.)

FaycalMenouar

Post » 26 Nov 2012, 18:10

WillWare wrote:I'm glad I've gotten so many comments, because I've been neglecting to work on this...
I think I can get something done now. If I can stop playing Paper Mario for thirty seconds. Maybe I can have World 2 done by the end of the week? (No promises.)
Please ! Mari0 is much better than Paper Mario haha

BobTheLawyer

Post » 26 Nov 2012, 23:03

Why did I always think the name of this mappack was Zelda?

Sky

Post » 27 Nov 2012, 00:26

BobTheLawyer wrote:Why did I always think the name of this mappack was Zelda?
Probably because of this.

Also, there have been technical difficulties, so having anything done by the end of the week is questionable. (Hint: It involves a hard disk.)

EDIT: Scratch that, I might be able to get something in by Wednesday.

Sky

Post » 28 Nov 2012, 04:45

I have a new release for you already!

Are you excited? You should be. See the first post for details. New screenshots will come soon.

Smear-Gel

Post » 28 Nov 2012, 21:17

Awwwww yeah! Excited!

WillWare wrote:Worlds 9-1 and 9-2 (currently 6-1 and 6-2)

So the extra worlds mod then?

Sky

Post » 29 Nov 2012, 00:28

Smear-Gel wrote:
WillWare wrote:Worlds 9-1 and 9-2 (currently 6-1 and 6-2)
So the extra worlds mod then?
Nope.
I have the thing that brings you to World 9 on my version of the mappack, but took it out for the public release because it has too many spoilers.

Bonko

Post » 29 Nov 2012, 00:33

This may sound like a lame compliment, but the world titles are awesome.

Sky

Post » 29 Nov 2012, 00:34

Bonko wrote:This may sound like a lame compliment, but the world titles are awesome.
What lame compliment? I like being complimented for my English skillz. Thanks!

Smear-Gel

Post » 29 Nov 2012, 18:41

WillWare wrote:I have the thing that brings you to World 9 on my version of the mappack, but took it out for the public release because it has too many spoilers.
What thing?

By the way, I saw 8-1 and remembered that I still dont know how to beat that from when it was a standalone level.

Sky

Post » 09 Dec 2012, 23:48

WHOA WHOA WHOA WAIT
Why is that sideways? Those blocks are SIDEWAYS. How did those get sideways? What the heck is...

...Wait, this is a space level. I think I'll just rotate everything.

You know what? I might have a new release by the end of the week. With a space level. And rotational physics.
It's not a mod. Promise.

freakstorm101

Post » 10 Dec 2012, 06:29

Epic. Finish this and finish it now!!!

Smear-Gel

Post » 10 Dec 2012, 17:45

Oh my your level design skill is truly amazing sir.

I cant wait!

Legend_of_Kirby

Post » 01 Jan 2013, 16:37

Please tell me there's more! Its such a fun map pack!

Sky

Post » 01 Jan 2013, 19:59

Legend_of_Kirby wrote:Please tell me there's more! Its such a fun map pack!
I'm working on updating this one next. Don't worry! None of my projects are dead. They're just waiting for an update.

EDIT: Well, I WAS working on it, then I began working on something else. The problem with me having multiple projects is that I'm a bit jumpy.

Sky

Post » 16 Jan 2013, 01:12

A long overdue update has arrived, now with text! Download it and see the new content in the first post, which I'll give a facelift soon.

TripleXero

Post » 16 Jan 2013, 01:49

I said I would say what I have to say about this when it downloaded forever ago and forgot, sorry! I like the mappack, the tileset is nice, and the mappack's design is very good looking, too. There aren't many mappacks I've downloaded, and not many I keep, but I kept this one (though temporary moved it from the mappack folder because it slows down Mari0 when scrolling over it)

Superjustinbros

Post » 16 Jan 2013, 01:57

I recognized the music, Chu Chu Rocket Puzzle Theme!

The only things I should comment on here; have you ever considered quite possibly re-testing 2-3_1? I got trapped there.

Also, I think the SMB cart that I spotted in the tile set should be in NES/Famicom style so it doesn't appear out of contrast, it not it could always be made using the different-colored tiles from my original sheet.

I recommend maybe looking into parts with very tight spaces and allowing them to be conquered as Super/Fire Mario without tons of sliding and crouch-jumping abuse, such as 1-2_3 and 2-1_1, and it's very possible to get stuck at 3-1's Light Bridge Pole Cross with the trapped Goombas. And if there are parts that require Super/Fire forms or a Shell for removing brick blocks, make sure to insert a reset pipe somewhere incase the power-up/shell is lost... not that I want this to become the next 0' Brothers with an obsession for block puzzles.

I know 8-1 is meant to be a glitch theme, but it's very hard to use Portals here (and easy to miss); try to link the button to the door, not the door to the cube.

Sky

Post » 16 Jan 2013, 02:32

And now to tear apart SJB's comment, because I like explaining my reasoning and I want to make sure we're all on the same page here.
Superjustinbros wrote:I recognized the music, Chu Chu Rocket Puzzle Theme!
YAY!
Superjustinbros wrote:The only things I should comment on here; have you ever considered quite possibly re-testing 2-3_1? I got trapped there.
Can you explain how you got trapped there? Maybe it's because I made it, but I can't see how you could get stuck.
Superjustinbros wrote:Also, I think the SMB cart that I spotted in the tile set should be in NES/Famicom style so it doesn't appear out of contrast, it not it could always be made using the different-colored tiles from my original sheet.
I totally agree and will work on fixing it. But for now, it's placeholder, and may continue to be until the final release. It at least gets the point across...
Superjustinbros wrote:I recommend maybe looking into parts with very tight spaces and allowing them to be conquered as Super/Fire Mario without tons of sliding and crouch-jumping abuse
I actually made these sections with this in mind, thinking that it would be a trade-off between being able to take an extra hit and being more mobile. Besides, you have a portal gun.
Superjustinbros wrote:such as 1-2_3
The whole section is about having a portal gun.
Superjustinbros wrote:and 2-1_1
The entire top route is for Big Mario.
Superjustinbros wrote:and it's very possible to get stuck at 3-1's Light Bridge Pole Cross with the trapped Goombas.
You have a portal gun.
I get what you're getting at, though. But bear this in mind: I made this less like a romhack and more like a Mari0 mappack.
Superjustinbros wrote:And if there are parts that require Super/Fire forms or a Shell for removing brick blocks, make sure to insert a reset pipe somewhere in case the power-up/shell is lost... not that I want this to become the next 0' Brothers with an obsession for block puzzles.
Done. Not that I have any shell puzzles, but if you can get stuck, there's a reset pipe.
Superjustinbros wrote:I know 8-1 is meant to be a glitch theme, but it's very hard to use Portals here (and easy to miss); try to link the button to the door, not the door to the cube.
No. I like the fact that the door isn't linked to the button. That was on purpose. (The button is linked to something else, though...)

Superjustinbros

Post » 16 Jan 2013, 14:29

With 2-3_1, I got stuck as the two doors that block the exit are not connected to a timer, and there is only one cube in the room with no other objects that old possibly trigger the two buttons simontaniously. Placing portals on the same tiles the buttons are and allowing the cube to alternate in pressing each one doesn't allow enough time for both to be open so the player can get in and escape.

As for everything else I don't really have much anything to say. I still like how very detailed the mappack is; proves you can get creative with something as basic as a SMB tileset with additional details and re colored many times. And need I mention this is one of those mappacks not waiting or SE?

Sky

Post » 16 Jan 2013, 21:01

Superjustinbros wrote:With 2-3_1, I got stuck as the two doors that block the exit are not connected to a timer, and there is only one cube in the room with no other objects that old possibly trigger the two buttons simontaniously. Placing portals on the same tiles the buttons are and allowing the cube to alternate in pressing each one doesn't allow enough time for both to be open so the player can get in and escape.
I bet you're not the only one who got stuck on this one, so I've prepared a short walkthrough.

1. Grab the Mushrooms/Fire Flowers in the center of the room. Use your newfound powers to break ALL the bricks.
2. Get up on the platform with the cube.
3. Place a portal on the ceiling above each button. Grab the cube and move it to the other button.
4. Stand on the button the cube was on previously. Both doors should be open.
5. Place a portal on the wall through the doors, and the other portal on the ceiling above you.
6. Jump. Reload. Walk to the right.

Does that work?
Superjustinbros wrote:As for everything else I don't really have much anything to say. I still like how very detailed the mappack is; proves you can get creative with something as basic as a SMB tileset with additional details and re colored many times.
You've proven that yourself, as well. Better than I did, in my opinion.
Superjustinbros wrote:And need I mention this is one of those mappacks not waiting for SE?
I will make an SE-compatible version with extra musics and graphics-es - maybe even new enemies on occasion - but otherwise, yes, this is a mappack made for Mari0 1.6. I don't have enough patience to wait for SE to finish this one. I hardly have enough patience to wait until I can put some more music... and I ESPECIALLY can't wait to put actual mittens on the Bullet Bills in 5-1 (as its long and descriptive name implies).

Y'know, if I got more people to give detailed comments like this, I would be very happy. It helps me in fixing the broken things and keeping the working things unbroken. And it helps me figure out which parts people like so I can do more of them... and which parts people have trouble with, so I can ADD MORE OF THEM move them to more relevant levels to balance the difficulty.

In fact, let me make a request of the people now: Which level is your favorite? Which is your least favorite? Let me know! Conversation is a good thing.

Superjustinbros

Post » 16 Jan 2013, 23:57

WillWare wrote:
Superjustinbros wrote:With 2-3_1, I got stuck as the two doors that block the exit are not connected to a timer, and there is only one cube in the room with no other objects that old possibly trigger the two buttons simontaniously. Placing portals on the same tiles the buttons are and allowing the cube to alternate in pressing each one doesn't allow enough time for both to be open so the player can get in and escape.
I bet you're not the only one who got stuck on this one, so I've prepared a short walkthrough.

1. Grab the Mushrooms/Fire Flowers in the center of the room. Use your newfound powers to break ALL the bricks.
2. Get up on the platform with the cube.
3. Place a portal on the ceiling above each button. Grab the cube and move it to the other button.
4. Stand on the button the cube was on previously. Both doors should be open.
5. Place a portal on the wall through the doors, and the other portal on the ceiling above you.
6. Jump. Reload. Walk to the right.
Quite cryptic for the ninth level, but I did solve it. Your choice, but maybe a more visual clue could help.

Smear-Gel

Post » 22 Jan 2013, 19:49

WillWare wrote:In fact, let me make a request of the people now: Which level is your favorite? Which is your least favorite? Let me know! Conversation is a good thing.

I notice a huge problem here is not enough feedback on some of the map packs. If everyone just plays everyone else's maps without commenting and then expects everyone else to actually comment of theirs nothing's gonna happen.

This is my favourite map pack and I cant decide which level is my favourite and I have no least favourite but world nine does kinda feel like a breather level when it comes after world 8 where I cant even pass 8-1.

Smear-Gel

Post » 13 Apr 2013, 20:07

I dont know if it's a bad bump or if it's relevant but I did re-play this and found the Space level to be my favourite. Excellent use of the underwater property.

I dont know if ive said this before but WiiWare is definitely my favourite map designer here.

Superjustinbros

Post » 14 Apr 2013, 05:22

The idea of a space-themed level where the player swam through open space was done before, though this was the first good-quality level with said feature. Especially the whole "flipping gravity" gimmick.

Sky

Post » 14 Apr 2013, 06:58

Smear-Gel wrote:I dont know if it's a bad bump or if it's relevant but I did re-play this and found the Space level to be my favourite. Excellent use of the underwater property.

I dont know if ive said this before but WillWare is definitely my favourite map designer here.
Superjustinbros wrote:The idea of a space-themed level where the player swam through open space was done before, though this was the first good-quality level with said feature. Especially the whole "flipping gravity" gimmick.
Thanks, guys! Glad people are still playing this... because I haven't been working on it much. Too much schoolwork. School's almost over, though, so I can work on it after finals in May.

Coincidentally, I do happen to be working on a level map of 7-1 in my spare time. I'm a big fan of strategy guides and the old issues of Nintendo Power for their in-depth level maps, and so I thought I'd spread the love and make some level maps for my mappacks. I often wonder how many of the secrets I hide are found... I'm hoping many more people will figure them out with these, and I'm also hoping they'll give some insight into my design process.

I don't have any of the secrets revealed for 7-1 or anything like that yet, but I do have the finished level map (with a giant, empty text box!). You can check it out here: http://i.imgur.com/XNzqi9h.png It needs some polish, so if you see something that's off, do let me know, please. I want it to be as useful and accurate as possible.

Smear-Gel

Post » 16 Apr 2013, 17:37

I dont know if ive said this before but WillWare is definitely my favourite map designer here.[/quote]
Superjustinbros wrote:The idea of a space-themed level where the player swam through open space was done before, though this was the first good-quality level with said feature. Especially the whole "flipping gravity" gimmick.
May I get links to the others? I'm curious as to how they did it.
WillWare wrote: Thanks, guys! Glad people are still playing this... because I haven't been working on it much. Too much schoolwork. School's almost over, though, so I can work on it after finals in May.

Coincidentally, I do happen to be working on a level map of 7-1 in my spare time. I'm a big fan of strategy guides and the old issues of Nintendo Power for their in-depth level maps, and so I thought I'd spread the love and make some level maps for my mappacks. I often wonder how many of the secrets I hide are found... I'm hoping many more people will figure them out with these, and I'm also hoping they'll give some insight into my design process.
Oh man, I always wonder if people ever find my secrets as well. Good idea with the level map thing. I looked at it and it seems fine so far.

Superjustinbros

Post » 17 Apr 2013, 17:51

If you want to know the space level I mentioned, it's this quite terrible mappack: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2361

Sky

Post » 12 Jun 2013, 04:53

Image Image
Image Image

So, uh... Yeah.

I'm going to be facetious and say that this is sorta like my own E3 event... Especially since I may not get the next update out for a while. Maybe not 2014 (like every other game) but it probably won't be before New Super Luigi U comes out.

We'll see, though.

By the way, do any of you think 5-3 and 5-4 need backgrounds?

Superjustinbros

Post » 13 Jun 2013, 21:38

Only if you find it necessary.

Did you update the colored tileset so the dithering from pipes were fixed?

Sky

Post » 19 Jun 2013, 00:56

I've just updated Zeta to v0.5! Yes, that does mean I'm about halfway done. Grab it and see the details in the first post.

Sky

Post » 19 Jun 2013, 04:55

I have a question for those of you with a good eye for artistic design, but it involves a spoiler. It's for a level that I would have included with this update had I not had this question at the last minute.
This is 9-3, which is a Rainbow Cavern level. I tried to do some lighting from the ? blocks...
...but I feel like something's missing from here. Am I getting the point across? What else could I add to this?

HugoBDesigner

Post » 19 Jun 2013, 05:33

WillWare wrote:I have a question for those of you with a good eye for artistic design, but it involves a spoiler. It's for a level that I would have included with this update had I not had this question at the last minute.
This is 9-3, which is a Rainbow Cavern level. I tried to do some lighting from the ? blocks...
...but I feel like something's missing from here. Am I getting the point across? What else could I add to this?
I think I have an idea. Maybe you could make the whole level as an image (but it cannot be very big) and then edit the "lights" effects. Later, you add some invisible blocks above the background's parts that are supposed to be blocks.

EDIT: Something like this (more or less):

But then you do it as you want. This is just an idea, and I don't know the maximum size of a background (but I know it's something around 1000px if I remember correctly).
Last edited by HugoBDesigner on 19 Jun 2013, 05:59, edited 1 time in total.

Superjustinbros

Post » 19 Jun 2013, 05:46

I'm going to give this a try. Again, thanks fore using my tileset.

However, when I mentioned you should update my colors tileset to the newest version, this image demonstrates it.

See the parts where the downwards pipes brach off into the right-facing ones? The dithering is incorrect, and I since updated the tileset on it's dedicated topic to fix the dithering.
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1326&hilit=custom+ ... om+tileset

Sky

Post » 19 Jun 2013, 22:22

HugoBDesigner wrote:I think I have an idea. Maybe you could make the whole level as an image (but it cannot be very big) and then edit the "lights" effects. Later, you add some invisible blocks above the background's parts that are supposed to be blocks.
That's a great idea, thanks!
...is it bad that I recognize the exact spot in the level where you took that picture?
Superjustinbros wrote:...when I mentioned you should update my colors tileset to the newest version, this image demonstrates it.
-image-

See the parts where the downwards pipes brach off into the right-facing ones? The dithering is incorrect, and I since updated the tileset on it's dedicated topic to fix the dithering.
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1326&hilit=custom+ ... om+tileset
Oh, now I see it. I couldn't tell what you were talking about earlier, I even looked and didn't notice anything different.
It's going to take a good amount of work to fix the tiles, but I should have it ready by the next update... whenever that is.
Last edited by Sky on 23 Jun 2013, 01:02, edited 1 time in total.

HugoBDesigner

Post » 20 Jun 2013, 04:26

WillWare wrote: That's a great idea, thanks!
...is it bad that I recognize the exact spot in the level where you took that picture?
Of course not. Ha, ha... I took it from level 7-1 from the current version of Zeta, IIRC.
Also: are the levels too big for using the background trick or you haven't tested yet?

Sky

Post » 22 Jun 2013, 06:58

Full size: http://i.imgur.com/IMq3MSD.png

I, uh... I think I need to stop.

Superjustinbros

Post » 22 Jun 2013, 07:47

Looks like it's going to be enjoyable. :3c