Tileset Respositorium

Mapping related threads and questions go in here!
MM102

Post » 16 Feb 2014, 08:40

MagicPillow wrote: You'll probably want to place the red "X" tile directly below any walls.
I don't get what you mean by this
also,
MagicPillow wrote:Kond

MagicPillow

Post » 16 Feb 2014, 08:51

MM102 wrote:
MagicPillow wrote: You'll probably want to place the red "X" tile directly below any walls.
I don't get what you mean by this
Like this:
Since the Donkey Kong character's collision doesn't match it's height (or width),
having the walls without the "X" tiles would look weird when you jump.

Sunset_Moth

Post » 16 Feb 2014, 21:45

X tiles are invisible, I assume.

MagicPillow

Post » 16 Feb 2014, 21:54

Yes, that was a screenshot from the editor.

MM102

Post » 16 Feb 2014, 22:43

Tecminer wrote:I've made a pretty shitty tileset which was supposed to be minecraft-styled at first, but then it got more and more randomly and i decided to remove the minecraft-tiles because i didnt use them anymore.
Well, now i cant decide if i should post the one with or the one without minecraft-tiles...
What do you think?

EDIT: Well, then...
Tiles with minecraft:
Tiles without minecraft:
its a pretty damn chaos
oh, and my question was not if i should upload it, it was which one i should upload... ;D
gonna quote this so it doesn't go unnoticed on the other page :D

Mit

Post » 17 Feb 2014, 05:04

MM102 wrote:
8-bit remake
quite a bit late but a friend has informed me that you edited an older version of my tileset without permission.

I'd appreciate it if you at least gave credit. also, I'm pretty sure this isn't even 8-bit, since it doesn't follow the NES palette.

MissingWorld

Post » 17 Feb 2014, 05:16

Mit wrote:I'm pretty sure this isn't even 8-bit, since it doesn't follow the NES palette.
Well not all of them are, but almost all of the tiles only have three colors per tile, so it checks out there. The NES palette doesn't immediately equal 8-bit anyways.

renhoek

Post » 17 Feb 2014, 05:35

MissingWorld wrote:
Mit wrote:I'm pretty sure this isn't even 8-bit, since it doesn't follow the NES palette.
Well not all of them are, but almost all of the tiles only have three colors per tile, so it checks out there. The NES palette doesn't immediately equal 8-bit anyways.
He's not talking about how many colours a nes can display at once, he's talking about the palette.
here's the colour palette I use when I do nes style artwork.
notice the lack of a good yellow colour and low amount of shades for other colours.

off-topic: it's kinda freaky seeing Mit post here since I'm a big fan of his artwork.

Mit

Post » 17 Feb 2014, 05:42

renhoek wrote:
MissingWorld wrote:
He's not talking about how many colours a nes can display at once, he's talking about the palette.
notice the lack of a good yellow colour and low amount of shades for other colours.

off-topic: it's kinda freaky seeing Mit post here since I'm a big fan of his artwork.
yea, that's pretty much what I meant. considering mari0 itself is a primarily NES styled game, it helps to make the tilesets follow the palette too. on top of that, relying on others to recolor the tilesets is a bit lazy, no?

also, I had no idea I was even remotely well known, especially considering I only really post my work in 3 or 4 places, heh

EDIT: keeping the tiles at around a 3 color minimum is important too, but it looks like that's not as big of a problem as having the colors correct
Last edited by Mit on 17 Feb 2014, 05:51, edited 1 time in total.

StrikeForcer

Post » 17 Feb 2014, 05:43

renhoek wrote:
MissingWorld wrote:

Still not 8-bit. Also, I do love the fact some high-quality "8-bit" (NES-era is more accurate) tilesets are posted here, but I do wonder if its actually right to post some of them (im referring to smb hack graphics from inactive Japanese authors) here for individual use as technically, its stealing. BTW, I referred Mit here.

renhoek

Post » 17 Feb 2014, 05:55

StrikeForcer wrote: Still not 8-bit.
not quite sure what you mean here.

StrikeForcer

Post » 17 Feb 2014, 05:57

renhoek wrote:
Referring to the tileset in question that was posted a couple of pages ago, and now recently brought up by Mit.
Last edited by StrikeForcer on 17 Feb 2014, 05:58, edited 1 time in total.

MM102

Post » 17 Feb 2014, 05:58

Mit wrote:
MM102 wrote:
8-bit remake
quite a bit late but a friend has informed me that you edited an older version of my tileset without permission.
I'd appreciate it if you at least gave credit. also, I'm pretty sure this isn't even 8-bit, since it doesn't follow the NES palette.
Sorry for not crediting you, I had found a tileset Willware posted earlier in this thread and randomly decided to edit it.
Although Willware had credited you originally, I now realize that not everyone reads the entire thread and you should be credited in both posts.

Also I know that it doesn't strictly follow the nes palette; I was just trying to limit it three colors (and it was more of a leisurely project).

Edit: I also just realized that I failed to fully limit it to three colors anyways. The pow blocks are four colors.(This was a easy mistake and i'm honestly not sure how I missed it)

renhoek

Post » 17 Feb 2014, 06:05

StrikeForcer wrote:
renhoek wrote:
Referring to the tileset in question that was posted a couple of pages ago, and now recently brought up by Mit.
Ah I think you may have gotten confused here.
See I was backing up what Mit was saying about the tile set not being 8-bit. (how it's not just using 3 colours there's a set palette too.)

Sky

Post » 17 Feb 2014, 06:24

Mit wrote:also, I had no idea I was even remotely well known, especially considering I only really post my work in 3 or 4 places, heh
Apparently you're in the right places, because I wouldn't have converted it had I not found it on TSR.
Anyway, welcome to our small community, we hope you enjoy your stay (despite the reason you came in the first place).

TheSeek

Post » 17 Feb 2014, 06:34

StrikeForcer wrote:I do wonder if its actually right to post some of them (im referring to smb hack graphics from inactive Japanese authors) here for individual use as technically, its stealing.
Technically speaking, even the existence of the rom hacks those graphics come from is illegal and a theft, as they use the original code without permission.
And putting that aside, everytime tiles from a hack rom were posted in here mostly by Superjustinbros IIRC, he always said from what hack rom they were, and i think that's enough for giving credit, considering that since he rips tiles and sprites from games too, he might have ripped those himself as well.
Mit wrote:considering mari0 itself is a primarily NES styled game, it helps to make the tilesets follow the palette too.
About that, mari0 is also a game whcih doesnt have to strictly stick to NES technical limitations, it gives the possibility of creating tiles however you want with no color limitations, so there's really no need to follow the palette, unless you actually want to.
Even the smb tiles included in mari0 dont have the exact colors.

Mit

Post » 17 Feb 2014, 07:02

TheSeek wrote:
Mit wrote:considering mari0 itself is a primarily NES styled game, it helps to make the tilesets follow the palette too.
About that, mari0 is also a game whcih doesnt have to strictly stick to NES technical limitations, it gives the possibility of creating tiles however you want with no color limitations, so there's really no need to follow the palette, unless you actually want to.
Even the smb tiles included in mari0 dont have the exact colors.
I'm well aware that it doesn't technically have to follow the limitations, but I feel it's definitely best that the tiles you use fit the style of the elements of the game, which seems to be SMB1, which is an 8-bit game. granted it's alright to step outside the box sometimes with this sort of thing, but I think that's best for special cases, like the Minecraft tiles.
WillWare wrote:Anyway, welcome to our small community, we hope you enjoy your stay (despite the reason you came in the first place).
I think I'll stick around a bit, might post some of my newer stuff around too at some point. but thanks for the welcome regardless!

shotgiy12

Post » 18 Feb 2014, 10:37

um how do u put more then 1 tileset?

Flutter Skye

Post » 18 Feb 2014, 10:41

You need to merge both of the tilesets into one image.

shotgiy12

Post » 18 Feb 2014, 12:23

has anyone thought of a death match mappack where u must kill everyone to win because i am just started working on it for SE because online support will be added and it would be so bloody fun :D

Sunset_Moth

Post » 18 Feb 2014, 18:17

It's been thought of probbably but nobody has acted on it (and said something) other than you that I know of

Superjustinbros

Post » 18 Feb 2014, 20:15

TheSeek wrote:
StrikeForcer wrote:I do wonder if its actually right to post some of them (im referring to smb hack graphics from inactive Japanese authors) here for individual use as technically, its stealing.
Technically speaking, even the existence of the rom hacks those graphics come from is illegal and a theft, as they use the original code without permission.
And putting that aside, everytime tiles from a hack rom were posted in here mostly by Superjustinbros IIRC, he always said from what hack rom they were, and i think that's enough for giving credit, considering that since he rips tiles and sprites from games too, he might have ripped those himself as well.
Indeed. I always make sure to credit the original source of any tileset(s) I rip so if anyone wants to check out the hack/game in question, or use it for some project.

As for the whole "sticking to NES limitations" part, by now I wouldn't give any care for making every tileset I port into Mari0 NES-styled, only the stuff that already comes in 8-bit will stay 8-bit. And even with Mari0 being based on an 8-bit title, it doesn't undergo the limitations of the NES' colors, and thus it'd be something more of what you'd find in a SNES game. If Mari0 were to truly be made to follow the limits of the NES, we'd have no parallax backgrounds, the Portal tiles would be downgraded into three colors each, and we'd be only able to use a total of four palettes for tiles in a room (with one of the sprite colors and tile colors being identical, like the Goomba color and the "Ground" palette). Not to mention the Portal Gun and the portals themselves would have to be made Mario's palette.

It's a lot to process, I know.

Sunset_Moth

Post » 19 Feb 2014, 01:57

Pipes and stuff that seem like they should be in a factory or something.
There's some fire enemies that go with it in the Enemy Respositorium, the Flying Fires. it's supposed to be a tileset for a factory of doom or something. I started working on it but I decided not to. The red tile is pretty much useless, just ignore it.

Superjustinbros

Post » 19 Feb 2014, 07:57

Perhaps our first "wide" pipes tileset.

Ladies and gentlemen... I give you: LOT LOT!

Mr.Q.Marx?

Post » 19 Feb 2014, 14:24

Superjustinbros wrote:Perhaps our first "wide" pipes tileset.
Now for our second:
Recoloured to all the pipe colours in the Mari0 tileset.
Credit to bubba_nate for the original widepipe.

Sunset_Moth

Post » 19 Feb 2014, 17:11

You didn't remove the metal-sided pipes, where they went into metal blocks, but you did remove the metal blocks. Unless you replaced it with normal ground and I didn't notice. And I didn't expect anyone to do anything with my tileset, not to mention expand it... Wow.

Wide pipes.
Who knew they'd be so useful?

Also, you "dropped" one of the sideways grates, there's no down facing one.

Anyways, I might add some more pipe stuff.

Mr.Q.Marx?

Post » 19 Feb 2014, 17:21

bubba_nate wrote:You didn't remove the metal-sided pipes, where they went into metal blocks, but you did remove the metal blocks. Unless you replaced it with normal ground and I didn't notice. And I didn't expect anyone to do anything with my tileset, not to mention expand it... Wow.
Also, you "dropped" one of the sideways grates, there's no down facing one.
I'll fix these later. I've just remade Megaman's iceman level and need a bit of a break from Mari0.
EDIT:

maidenTREE

Post » 20 Feb 2014, 02:42

My dumb looking tileset: Image
You can tell me if I need to improve on it.

Mr.Q.Marx?

Post » 20 Feb 2014, 03:40

Crop your tilesets. Seriously, why do people keep posting tilesets which are 7/8 blank? You're in an image editor, just finish the job.

MissingWorld

Post » 20 Feb 2014, 03:52

Turtley3 wrote:You can tell me if I need to improve on it.
Only real issue is the brick block, that's about it.

renhoek

Post » 20 Feb 2014, 09:41

Mr.Q.Marx? wrote:Crop your tilesets. Seriously, why do people keep posting tilesets which are 7/8 blank? You're in an image editor, just finish the job.
This.

Anyway I'm going to ask for help on a tileset so I'm going to write in big letters for a second so idiot's don't steal it.
I'm not posting this tile set for you to use I'm asking if someone can help!
http://i.imgur.com/RnhjY0T.png
whenever I use this in SE my game crashes, I've checked the tile properties and I can't find the thing that's causing the crash. Can someone help me? (I'll be doing a late valentines map, whoever does it get's to be the maps valentine.)

Mr.Q.Marx?

Post » 20 Feb 2014, 13:48

renhoek wrote: whenever I use this in SE my game crashes
Works perfectly fine for me. Even made a quick map and played ingame to check. Are you sure it's not one of your custom enemies causing the crash?

TurretBot

Post » 20 Feb 2014, 13:52

Mr.Q.Marx? wrote:
Works perfectly fine for me. Even made a quick map and played ingame to check. Are you sure it's not one of your custom enemies causing the crash?
No, he's probably not doing anything wrong. SE likes to hate on tilesets sometimes for no apparent reason.
B-Man said (forgot which thread) to simply take the tileset out of the map, then open Mari0, then close it and put it back in the map.

renhoek

Post » 20 Feb 2014, 13:55

Mr.Q.Marx? wrote:
Well for some reason when I load up the map it crashes, I know it's the tileset because when I rename the file it, loads fine then I add the tileset and it crashes.

TurretBot

Post » 20 Feb 2014, 13:56

Can you get us a screenshot of the error?

BobTheLawyer

Post » 20 Feb 2014, 14:01

Mr.Q.Marx? wrote:
Works perfectly fine for me. Even made a quick map and played ingame
So you used it then?
renhoek wrote:Anyway I'm going to ask for help on a tileset so I'm going to write in big letters for a second so idiot's don't steal it.
I'm not posting this tile set for you to use!
Uh oh.
Renhoek gonna kill you.

maidenTREE

Post » 20 Feb 2014, 14:05

renhoek wrote:
Mr.Q.Marx? wrote:Crop your tilesets. Seriously, why do people keep posting tilesets which are 7/8 blank? You're in an image editor, just finish the job.
This.

My custom tileset was meant to have a ton of colors, and be completely custom.
It's a work in progress.

renhoek

Post » 20 Feb 2014, 14:09

Turtley3 wrote:
renhoek wrote:
This.

My custom tileset was meant to have a ton of colors, and be completely custom.
It's a work in progress.
that's not an excuse to put a huge and empty tilesheet.

alesan99

Post » 20 Feb 2014, 14:51

renhoek wrote: Well for some reason when I load up the map it crashes, I know it's the tileset because when I rename the file it, loads fine then I add the tileset and it crashes.
Did you make a level? Also try it on another mappack just to see if it works.
TurretBot wrote:B-Man said (forgot which thread) to simply take the tileset out of the map, then open Mari0, then close it and put it back in the map.
Wait I thought I said this.

Automatik

Post » 20 Feb 2014, 15:54

Renhoek, you should report the crash to crash@stabyourself.net
Last edited by Automatik on 20 Feb 2014, 20:45, edited 2 times in total.

Superjustinbros

Post » 20 Feb 2014, 18:32

ImageImageImageImageImage
The Springs from Super Mario Bros. Deluxe's VS mode.

UPDATE: And now I present to you: Super Robotnik Land, from that Youtube Poop CrazyCat13 made ages ago.

G.TOUFIK

Post » 21 Feb 2014, 12:36

Some gardient colors. With three types : coll, no coll, breakable. And bonus.

FireMariofan86
PERMABANNED

Post » 22 Feb 2014, 17:15

My tiles on my super mario bros delta mappack.

Automatik

Post » 22 Feb 2014, 17:19

I think you forgot to post your tileset.

MissingWorld

Post » 22 Feb 2014, 17:30

Automatik wrote:I think you forgot to post your tileset.
Actually he's requesting it; he pulled the same thing in the main SE thread "requesting" alesan's entities even though alesan himself already remade a bunch of them for SE.

maidenTREE

Post » 22 Feb 2014, 20:55

Credit to Spriter's Resource and SEGA and Alesan99 for some tiles.
Last edited by maidenTREE on 23 Feb 2014, 05:15, edited 2 times in total.

maidenTREE

Post » 23 Feb 2014, 02:52

Stop it Firemariofan86, those aren't yours.

Murphmario

Post » 23 Feb 2014, 05:08

Plus, the 2nd link is broken. I think he deserves a ban.

renhoek

Post » 23 Feb 2014, 05:19

Murphmario wrote:Plus, the 2nd link is broken. I think he deserves a ban.
This isn't overboard.