[WIP] We Need To Go Deeper

Mapping related threads and questions go in here!
MrCytosine

Post » 21 May 2012, 22:44

WillWare wrote:No level design(ers)? I can help with that.
Well, I did ask mr.game.and.watch14 about a month ago, and he hasn't shown me anything. Welcome aboard, WillWare.
(Note to mr.game.and.watch14: if you didn't want to do anything, you could have just said so. I wouldn't have minded. If you do want to continue, then it would be a good idea to show me the progress you're making by the end of this week at the latest)
Mr.Q.Marx? wrote:I designed a few games in my time (games dev student) so I may try my hand if you want? I'm free from work 'till September.
Sure. What worlds would you like to work on, specifically?

Sky

Post » 21 May 2012, 23:15

At this point, just tell me what to do, and I'll do it. Until that time, I guess I'll work on World 1.
Also, don't ask me to do any spriting. I'm not very good at it. At all.

Assasin-Kiashi

Post » 22 May 2012, 10:11

Awesome! The mappack is gonna be awesome. We've got visuals, gameplay and design in one team! Aaaawwww yeeeee.
MrCytosine wrote:Should we just select people whose avatars we think will look good in the game?
It would be nice if we could have an ask list, but that may bring up issues with who gets in first (and I don't want this thread to be spammed with 3 pages of people saying "Plzplzplzplzplzplzplzplzplzplzplzplzplzpickme").
Another alternative is to pick someone randomly from the members list, but that may also cause some problems (e.g. we randomly pick Camewel).
I think us just selecting people is the best option for the forum and the mappack.
i was thinking of choosing them ourselves too, but i just wanted to know which one you would prefer.

Also, for world 3, i was thinking that to make it seem a bit more realistic, in the last level, the flag/axe&bowser is at a sub-level on a beach, so that it makes more sense when the next world is going into the ocean. Along side that, I think I'm going to work on world 4 tiles and backgrounds

Mr.Q.Marx?

Post » 22 May 2012, 11:17

MrCytosine wrote:
Mr.Q.Marx? wrote:I designed a few games in my time (games dev student) so I may try my hand if you want? I'm free from work 'till September.
World 1 is the most obvious as far as the mechanics would be basic but I don't want to step on any toes so I'll happily work on 3, I was looking to make a pack like that myself one day so it'd be nice to get on that.

Superjustinbros

Post » 22 May 2012, 12:55

Hm, I think I could add a water-based world as World 4 or 6. Probably leaning towards World 4.

Mr.Q.Marx?

Post » 22 May 2012, 14:26

Superjustinbros wrote:Hm, I think I could add a water-based world as World 4 or 6. Probably leaning towards World 4.
World 4 would probably make the most sense from a geographical point of view however a mantle level could be submerged...

MrCytosine

Post » 22 May 2012, 20:50

Mr.Q.Marx? wrote:
MrCytosine wrote:
World 1 is the most obvious as far as the mechanics would be basic but I don't want to step on any toes so I'll happily work on 3, I was looking to make a pack like that myself one day so it'd be nice to get on that.
I think Assasin-Kiashi wants to work on World 3's level design. He did post screenshots and a mappack of it. Sorry about not posting it in the Excel screenshot.
You can work on world 2 if you want, after I've completed the tileset, of course.

Mr.Q.Marx?

Post » 22 May 2012, 22:17

MrCytosine wrote:You can work on world 2 if you want, after I've completed the tileset, of course.
Fair play then, my map for it wasn't the best anyway. I really do like what he did with the start, looking forward to playing that one. However I'm happy to wait for the tile set for world 2.
Have you planned what sort of things will it have? Some girders would look pretty good to me but yeah I'm sure you'll come up with something cool. I'm loving the pack so far.

Lone Wolf

Post » 23 May 2012, 22:48

I can *TRY* to make some maps, although i might not get good ideas.

Superjustinbros

Post » 24 May 2012, 01:31

I think I'll do World 4's level design. The tile set I'd end up doing maybe would end up too simple for a map pack such as this one, though I could certainly do the levels.

Assasin-Kiashi

Post » 24 May 2012, 08:14

MrCytosine wrote: I think Assasin-Kiashi wants to work on World 3's level design. He did post screenshots and a mappack of it. Sorry about not posting it in the Excel screenshot.
You can work on world 2 if you want, after I've completed the tileset, of course.
actually im totally fine with other people doing world 3's level design, i dont actually think i'd be the best with its kind of theme, only as such good with its look. i think i might be better suited to either world 4 or 5, as they're a more natural type world that can have less puzzle type gameplay, something im not very good at ^ _ ^''

Mr.Q.Marx?

Post » 24 May 2012, 17:43

Looking at the tables I could work on 5 or 6?

MrCytosine

Post » 24 May 2012, 17:48

Mr.Q.Marx? wrote:Looking at the tables I could work on 5 or 6?
Sure. Which one did you have in mind?

Mr.Q.Marx?

Post » 24 May 2012, 18:16

MrCytosine wrote:
5? I can picture something that could be good for that... You know what tiles you got planned? I'm thinking of a kinda cave story type of thing would really work well... Less slopes though obviously. The asteriod tiles would be perfect for corners already.

MrCytosine

Post » 24 May 2012, 18:49

Mr.Q.Marx? wrote:
MrCytosine wrote:
5? I can picture something that could be good for that... You know what tiles you got planned? I'm thinking of a kinda cave story type of thing would really work well... Less slopes though obviously. The asteriod tiles would be perfect for corners already.
Actually, I could make more asteroid blocks so the edges fit together properly, so it'll look like one massive rock instead of lots of 1x1 and 2x2 rocks. I think I'll make all of the rock breakable as well, so you can have loads of fun with the koopas.
I'll put you down for 5 on the chart also.

Mr.Q.Marx?

Post » 24 May 2012, 19:05

MrCytosine wrote: Actually, I could make more asteroid blocks so the edges fit together properly, so it'll look like one massive rock instead of lots of 1x1 and 2x2 rocks. I think I'll make all of the rock breakable as well, so you can have loads of fun with the koopas.
I'll put you down for 5 on the chart also.
You got the sample I sent? and yeah that'd be good or even one block without corners would be really good, that's the main graphical issue at the moment really...

Assasin-Kiashi

Post » 25 May 2012, 11:50

Just so you know, id actually prefer if someone else did world 3's level design, im not so good with its theme's sort of gameplay. maybe a natural type theme like world 4 or 5 would be better for level design for me. ^ _ ^

Sky

Post » 25 May 2012, 18:12

I think I'd love to do world 3. It sounds like it would have very structured level design, and I feel I'm pretty good at that.

MrCytosine

Post » 25 May 2012, 20:17

Mr.Q.Marx? wrote:You got the sample I sent? and yeah that'd be good or even one block without corners would be really good, that's the main graphical issue at the moment really...
Yep. I liked it a lot. I'm designing the tiles now for you.
WillWare wrote:I think I'd love to do world 3. It sounds like it would have very structured level design, and I feel I'm pretty good at that.
Ok. I'll change the chart.
Assasin-Kiashi wrote:Just so you know, id actually prefer if someone else did world 3's level design, im not so good with its theme's sort of gameplay. maybe a natural type theme like world 4 or 5 would be better for level design for me. ^ _ ^
Sorry, but Worlds 4 and 5 are taken. I'm going to do 2, because I've got something really good planned in my head. However, 6 is open, and that would probably be fairly natural. Do you want that one?

Assasin-Kiashi

Post » 26 May 2012, 04:44

I would be totally fine with world 6! The only reason I didn't say world 6 was because I wasn't sure you wanted to do world 6 since it was the last world and i had a feeling the main creator would of wanted to be the designer for the last world... But sure, I'll gladly take world 6 level design! :D

also, I think I'll be doing more backgrounds and tilesets, so if its fine with you i'll work on world either 4 or 6's background + tileset. you may choose which one you wish for me to do O u O (i use way to many smiley faces Image)

MrCytosine

Post » 26 May 2012, 10:34

Assasin-Kiashi wrote:I would be totally fine with world 6! The only reason I didn't say world 6 was because I wasn't sure you wanted to do world 6 since it was the last world and i had a feeling the main creator would of wanted to be the designer for the last world... But sure, I'll gladly take world 6 level design! :D

also, I think I'll be doing more backgrounds and tilesets, so if its fine with you i'll work on world either 4 or 6's background + tileset. you may choose which one you wish for me to do O u O (i use way to many smiley faces Image)
You can choose world 4 or 6, or both if you want, just tell me as soon as possible so everyone knows what's going on and I can change the chart.

Also, just a couple of ideas I want to put past everyone:

For the world 3 graffiti, should we just put everyone who is currently involved in the game? I think that'll be a nice way to include everyone like an Easter egg.

Also, I was thinking about making the first level of every world be a intermission level, where half of the screen is covered with blocks from the previous world, and the other half is blocks from the upcoming world, to make each world feel more connected. We would then move the existing 1-1 to 1-1_1.

Assasin-Kiashi

Post » 26 May 2012, 12:36

MrCytosine wrote:
Assasin-Kiashi wrote:I would be totally fine with world 6! The only reason I didn't say world 6 was because I wasn't sure you wanted to do world 6 since it was the last world and i had a feeling the main creator would of wanted to be the designer for the last world... But sure, I'll gladly take world 6 level design! :D

You can choose world 4 or 6, or both if you want, just tell me as soon as possible so everyone knows what's going on and I can change the chart.

Also, just a couple of ideas I want to put past everyone:

For the world 3 graffiti, should we just put everyone who is currently involved in the game? I think that'll be a nice way to include everyone like an Easter egg.

Also, I was thinking about making the first level of every world be a intermission level, where half of the screen is covered with blocks from the previous world, and the other half is blocks from the upcoming world, to make each world feel more connected. We would then move the existing 1-1 to 1-1_1.
I think it would be better to do the intermissions as the last sub level from the last level from the previous world instead of the first level in the world because then we can avoid the background bug where it disapears after you die. also i think if im doing world 6 level design i should probably do it's visuals as well because that way its easier to know what i want. :> (see more fucking smiley faces)

LightningFire

Post » 26 May 2012, 13:22

I would really, really like to participate, but the problem is that I suck at making mappacks. I mean, I have a lot of imagination on anything, but when it comes to mappacks, I lose all of it. I would like to know how do you mappack makers do awesome mappacks.

MrCytosine

Post » 26 May 2012, 13:48

Assasin-Kiashi wrote:I think it would be better to do the intermissions as the last sub level from the last level from the previous world instead of the first level in the world because then we can avoid the background bug where it disapears after you die. also i think if im doing world 6 level design i should probably do it's visuals as well because that way its easier to know what i want. :> (see more fucking smiley faces)
Yeah, that's a better idea. Should I just put you down for all aspects of World 6?
LightningFire wrote:I would really, really like to participate, but the problem is that I suck at making mappacks. I mean, I have a lot of imagination on anything, but when it comes to mappacks, I lose all of it. I would like to know how do you mappack makers do awesome mappacks.
Well, the only thing free right now is designing World 4's background and tileset, I'm afraid. If you want to do that, then be my guest.

Also, something else I want to discuss:
Should we have Bowser as a boss for the end of each World? I never even thought about it, and then WillWare sent me an amazing mappack of World 1 (that I'll be releasing as a demo near the end of the game's development) with a really well designed boss in at the end. I think it'll be nice to have something consistent throughout all of the Worlds.

Assasin-Kiashi

Post » 26 May 2012, 16:11

MrCytosine wrote:
Assasin-Kiashi wrote:I think it would be better to do the intermissions as the last sub level from the last level from the previous world instead of the first level in the world because then we can avoid the background bug where it disapears after you die. also i think if I'm doing world 6 level design i should probably do it's visuals as well because that way its easier to know what i want. :> (see more fucking smiley faces)
Yeah, that's a better idea. Should I just put you down for all aspects of World 6?
LightningFire wrote:I would really, really like to participate, but the problem is that I suck at making mappacks. I mean, I have a lot of imagination on anything, but when it comes to mappacks, I lose all of it. I would like to know how do you mappack makers do awesome mappacks.
Well, the only thing free right now is designing World 4's background and tileset, I'm afraid. If you want to do that, then be my guest.

Also, something else I want to discuss:
Should we have Bowser as a boss for the end of each World? I never even thought about it, and then WillWare sent me an amazing mappack of World 1 (that I'll be releasing as a demo near the end of the game's development) with a really well designed boss in at the end. I think it'll be nice to have something consistent throughout all of the Worlds.
Yeah you might as well put me down for every for world 6. Also, for Bowser, if we can make some good gameplay for the rest of the worlds with Bowser, i don't see why not! we can have a special mod for the level pack like 0-brothers that has our own entity graphics etc were we could make a new boss that has the abilities of Bowser but is a custom villain character, along with the rest of the enemies in the game. If we do that, i can probably help with enemy design too :>

MrCytosine

Post » 26 May 2012, 16:52

Assasin-Kiashi wrote:
MrCytosine wrote:Also, something else I want to discuss:
Yeah you might as well put me down for every for world 6. Also, for Bowser, if we can make some good gameplay for the rest of the worlds with Bowser, i don't see why not! we can have a special mod for the level pack like 0-brothers that has our own entity graphics etc were we could make a new boss that has the abilities of Bowser but is a custom villain character, along with the rest of the enemies in the game. If we do that, i can probably help with enemy design too :>
Ok then. I guess this means there's a position open for a modder, unless there's someone already on our team that can do what Assassin-Kiashi just said.

Assasin-Kiashi

Post » 26 May 2012, 17:04

its really just as easy as replacing the current images of the enemies with images of different ones that fill the size of the one's they're replacing. I can easily go an screw around with graphics, so im totes up to it.

btw i just realised my wording of the 'new villain guy' was very accurate. what i basically ment was replace bowser with a new graphic of a different character. still the same entity.

Mr.Q.Marx?

Post » 26 May 2012, 22:53

MrCytosine wrote: For the world 3 graffiti, should we just put everyone who is currently involved in the game? I think that'll be a nice way to include everyone like an Easter egg.
The World 3 graffiti would be a really cool idea. :)
MrCytosine wrote: Also, I was thinking about making the first level of every world be a intermission level, where half of the screen is covered with blocks from the previous world, and the other half is blocks from the upcoming world, to make each world feel more connected. We would then move the existing 1-1 to 1-1_1.
That'd be a pretty cool idea in my opinion.
Assasin-Kiashi wrote: what i basically ment was replace bowser with a new graphic of a different character.
What like? And a mutation of everyone's persona's (avaters) would be pretty creepy I think. Sort of combined... MrCytosine would of course have to have the head.

Assasin-Kiashi

Post » 27 May 2012, 04:44

Mr.Q.Marx? wrote:
Assasin-Kiashi wrote: what i basically ment was replace bowser with a new graphic of a different character.
What like? And a mutation of everyone's persona's (avatars) would be pretty creepy I think. Sort of combined... MrCytosine would of course have to have the head.
we can come up with that along the way! i was thinking of basing him/her on the theme of the mappack 'to go deeper' so maybe like a machine thats competing against you to get deeper, or is trying to make you not get any deeper.

Mr.Q.Marx?

Post » 27 May 2012, 12:03

Assasin-Kiashi wrote: we can come up with that along the way! i was thinking of basing him/her on the theme of the mappack 'to go deeper' so maybe like a machine thats competing against you to get deeper, or is trying to make you not get any deeper.
So a drill which jumps and shoots fire...? That would be surreal as anything but extremely threatening...

Assasin-Kiashi

Post » 27 May 2012, 12:36

guys y u so literal.

Mr.Q.Marx?

Post » 27 May 2012, 14:30

Assasin-Kiashi wrote:guys y u so literal.
Assasin-Kiashi wrote:a machine thats competing against you to get deeper
Meh, I'll just get back to working on my world... If anyone has concept art for a boss I'd be up for seeing it, I might make a space for Bowser at the end of my world so I can prepare the last level for that confrontation.

EDIT: modded this:

Assasin-Kiashi

Post » 29 May 2012, 06:04

Mr.Q.Marx? wrote:
Assasin-Kiashi wrote:guys y u so literal.
Assasin-Kiashi wrote:a machine thats competing against you to get deeper
Meh, I'll just get back to working on my world... If anyone has concept art for a boss I'd be up for seeing it, I might make a space for Bowser at the end of my world so I can prepare the last level for that confrontation.

EDIT: modded this:
holy cow that is friggin awesome

idiot9.0

Post » 29 May 2012, 06:40

Mr.Q.Marx? wrote:EDIT: modded this:
That looks amazing! Man, I can't wait for this to be finished, it's coming along nicely. Good work you guys :D

Assasin-Kiashi

Post » 02 Jun 2012, 14:35

im currently get as much as can done for world 6 visuals, after that, i will start the levels. so far, on a scale of 1 to 10 on how well im going, id say about 8 or 9, so dont go leaving yet!

freakstorm101

Post » 03 Jun 2012, 06:53

Holy crap on a cracker, this is looking AWESOME!!!

RWLabs

Post » 03 Jun 2012, 07:35

freakstorm101 wrote:Holy crap on a cracker
Ew.

Assasin-Kiashi

Post » 03 Jun 2012, 13:18

RWLabs wrote:
freakstorm101 wrote:Holy crap on a cracker
Ew.
indeed ew...

Assasin-Kiashi

Post » 04 Jun 2012, 12:46

WARNING: prepare yourself for 16 screenshots. six fucking teen. and for some reason stupidly big
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage my. fucking. lack. of god. no, they shouldn't be that big, but for some reason they are. hey trosh. hint hint. because I'm lazy currently. NOW LETS SUMMARISE THIS SHIT PILE WOO!

I finished the first level of world 6, and I'm pretty happy with it and the world's current tile-set, I'm also rather pleased with the gameplay even though there is pretty much no puzzles ( i suck at puzzles :D ) so world 6 is definitely onto a good start. however, the tile-set is getting rather large, so i had to extend the image length of it. (don't worry, its already arranged so its still clean and work's fine).

Also, i noticed that with our graffiti plan, we didn't have much more room to put the graffiti.... that's why i made sewers! the sewers have TONNES of wall space to shove graffiti on and so I'm glad i came up with the idea. and it still fits the theme~ yeeeee. the person in the graffiti shown is the graffiti of me. that was probably obvious since I'm not sure many other people display themselves as a demon with seizure horns. also, before i decided that world 3's level design wasn't that good for me, i did already have level 1 done at the time, so i was thinking if we keep that level we can use it for something like 'WE NEED TO GO DEEPER; the lost levels' or some shet like that.
i thought this time id keep the imgur image collection link around somewhere so if you want it it's here: http://imgur.com/rQAVb,opASr,3WQWA,ZqrK ... 2,qPiXF#15

DOWNLOAD THIS MESS HERE:http://www.sendspace.com/file/p5vw3j

im previewing this things and the size of those screen-shot are seriously obnoxious.... halp me troshhhh

idiot9.0

Post » 04 Jun 2012, 13:21

Assasin-Kiashi wrote:*insert giant wall of epicness here*
HOLY. HOT. DAMN!
That is freaking amazing Assasin! All those tilesets... that spritework... all of it! I'm freaking amazed!
I'm also in love with the graffiti you did of yourself, very nice touch, and easily my favorite of the batch.
This alone makes me want this pack more, I can't wait to see what else comes of this.
Very nice work! :D

Assasin-Kiashi

Post » 04 Jun 2012, 15:04

idiot9.0 wrote:
Assasin-Kiashi wrote:*insert giant wall of epicness here*
HOLY. HOT. DAMN!
That is freaking amazing Assasin! All those tilesets... that spritework... all of it! I'm freaking amazed!
I'm also in love with the graffiti you did of yourself, very nice touch, and easily my favorite of the batch.
This alone makes me want this pack more, I can't wait to see what else comes of this.
Very nice work! :D
thanks! im really glad you like it, because i liked it too :) and dont worry, if you like it as much as i think you do, it'll be worth the wait.

Sky

Post » 05 Jun 2012, 04:26

I really wish I could work on this awesomeness now, but I'm kinda out of commission for a month. Typing this on a 3DS, actually, and won't be able to access anything with Mari0 until the end of the month.
It's not fun, to say the least. I really really REALLY want to work on World 3, but it's not looking like a viable option, especially not if you want it done sooner.
... For some strange reason I feel like I'm letting everyone down by not letting others play my levels. (Your hardly funny, mildly serious joke of the day.)

Baf

Post » 05 Jun 2012, 09:16

I personally like the water background you used for the sewer.

Assasin-Kiashi

Post » 05 Jun 2012, 10:07

Baf wrote:I personally like the water background you used for the sewer.
believe it or not its actually based on the ones you used for 0 brothers, so really i got to credit you on the water.

Mr.Q.Marx?

Post » 05 Jun 2012, 16:11

Assasin-Kiashi wrote: Also, i noticed that with our graffiti plan, we didn't have much more room to put the graffiti.... that's why i made sewers! the sewers have TONNES of wall space to shove graffiti on and so I'm glad i came up with the idea. and it still fits the theme~ yeeeee. the person in the graffiti shown is the graffiti of me. that was probably obvious since I'm not sure many other people display themselves as a demon with seizure horns. also, before i decided that world 3's level design wasn't that good for me, i did already have level 1 done at the time, so i was thinking if we keep that level we can use it for something like 'WE NEED TO GO DEEPER; the lost levels' or some shet like that.
So obviously I updated the graffiti with my tag. (Feel free to move it, it's probably in a terrible place)
http://www.mediafire.com/?ckwvletbw9995ot
(That's the background only. Photobucket didn't like the size of it)

MrCytosine

Post » 05 Jun 2012, 23:30

Holy shit, I go on holiday for 3 days, and this mappack looks like it's almost done! Hats off to you Assassin-Kiashi, the work you've put into this is amazing.
Anyways, I did a little work on the avatar stuff, and I came up with this. I wanted it to have a faded look to it:

Assasin-Kiashi

Post » 06 Jun 2012, 12:07

Image i thought id go and explain what the hell that block with the m on it is. that is mr. checkpoint block. he is awesome. when you hit him and dance around him a little bit, he becomes a checkpoint for when you next die, and so is always around to welcome you back when you die. mr. checkpoint block is a very nice chap, and i think you'll like him very much.

SIMPLIFICATION: if you hit the checkpoint block and 'smother' it a bit, it will become a checkpoint for when die next and marks where checkpoints are. i thought this would be a good idea so that if people are worried if they've gotten far but aren't sure they have hit a check-point that now they know if they have and know where they'll spawn when they die next. basically, i kind of stress relievers. isn't mr. checkpoint block such a nice person? he massages your mind simply by being there! what a kind fellow~.

Jorichi

Post » 06 Jun 2012, 15:52

Wow, neat! Mr. Checkpoint Block will become my best friend and I will cherish every moment I can get together with him!
Anyways, it's a very cool idea to have a checkpoint block. Love it.
Keep up the awesome work!

renhoek

Post » 06 Jun 2012, 16:07

hmm
I thought it would dispense a mushroom :P

Black Heart

Post » 06 Jun 2012, 17:24

xXxrenhoekxXx wrote:hmm
I thought it would dispense a mushroom :P
It is logical.