A0zora (To be recreated)

Mapping related threads and questions go in here!
Legend_of_Kirby

Post » 12 Jan 2013, 17:53

Justin wrote:
trosh wrote:all easily fixed with booze and not posting about it on unrelated forum threads
Where's the fucking off button on this kid.Someone find it and push it before i do.Im sorry to sound mean but everything coming out of is mouth is absolutely autismul.
And all my respect for justin is gone on that note.

Justin

Post » 13 Jan 2013, 07:10

xXxrenhoekxXx wrote:
Justin wrote:
trosh wrote:all easily fixed with booze and not posting about it on unrelated forum threads
Where's the fucking off button on this kid.Someone find it and push it before i do.Im sorry to sound mean but everything coming out of is mouth is absolutely autismul.
I trust your not a kid seeing as though you replied to a comment over a week old, didn't put spaces at the end of every sentence, and used a made up word (I believe you meant autistic and even then I'd bet you didn't even realize what autism is either.)
1:Sorry for bumping
2:I understand what autism is and i don't care how old that post is you don't say shit like that to anyone. Also it's a weird habit of mine to not put a space after a sentance.
3:If your gonna judge me for my misspellings or gramatical mistakes than don't post at all.
4:To actually sorta contribute i think this looks really cool.

Justin

Post » 13 Jan 2013, 07:11

Wait that comment was 3 pages ago?Whooooops! ha ha sorry.

Superjustinbros

Post » 13 Jan 2013, 19:34

Hmm, what could this be?

Superjustinbros

Post » 18 Jan 2013, 06:20

New demo release: Beta 0.13.

Yea I know A0zora is still plagued with being one of those mappacks on the forums that is trying to wait for the release of Mari0: Special Edition. However I made sure this was the best update in a while, adding in 28 new tile colors and previews for world "blank", 9, and 0. In the editor, I have what will become World "blank" in the World 10 slot, while what will become World 0 in the World 11 slot. The game is designed to end after World 8, as any would not numbered 1 through 8 are secret optional worlds taking place in-between specific worlds. For instance, World "blank" is between Worlds 5 and 6, World 9 is between Worlds 7 and 8, and 0 is after World 8.

For the purpose of players using the mod, World 9 will have both an axe and Warp Pipe to World 8 available, since with the mod, W9 will come after the Joker battle in World 8, while with vanilla Mari0, beating World 8 just ends the game.
Last edited by Superjustinbros on 22 Jan 2013, 03:19, edited 1 time in total.

Superjustinbros

Post » 21 Jan 2013, 18:59

*wham*

New screens, mostly to show off the custom BG's.

renhoek

Post » 22 Jan 2013, 03:38

O-o did you make those yourself? also how come I had to draw the bgs for the best of stabyourself when everyone else can do it much better!?

Superjustinbros

Post » 22 Jan 2013, 07:11

With 6-2's, I made it from scratch. But with the others, they're just backgrounds that use tidbits from existing (though very unknown) games, with varying levels of modification. 2-3 doesn't feature any parallax scrolling at the moment, and I'll get to it soon enough, plus add in more detail to 2-1's backgrounds (as I made it just today).

For the interested, I am thinking on getting the game "Game Center CX 2" for the DS since there is a game on there (Demon Returns) that I'd like to convert to Mari0 as a 16-level map pack.

The downside is, it's a game on a portable game console, so I decided to wait until a day when Zach Robinson, a man currently translating Game Center CX 2 into English, gets maps for Demon Returns so it'll be easier to recreate with Mari0's gameplay, especially with how much skill I have at creating tilesets.

It'll get it's own dedicated thread once the project goes live, alike my unfinished Giana Sisters map pack (a bit lazy, I know X/ ).

TheSeek

Post » 22 Jan 2013, 09:02

About Demon Returns, i don't understand why you need to wait for the english translation, the game is fully playable in japanese too, you could rip the tiles and recreate the maps by yourself.

Superjustinbros

Post » 22 Jan 2013, 15:29

TheSeek wrote:About Demon Returns, i don't understand why you need to wait for the english translation, the game is fully playable in japanese too, you could rip the tiles and recreate the maps by yourself.
You're correct on that, however the emulator I used yesterday doesn't emulate battery backup, so the only game I could play was Wiz-Man as I get an error screen every time the game attempts to save. The emulator also doesn't sport a quick screenshot feature, where pressing one of the Function keys takes an automatic snapshot; helps big when you can't pause the game.

I did make a tileset based on the Demon Returns skin that's in Super Mario Bros. Crossover, but it's very disorganized and it's missing a lot of tiles from the core Demon Returns game.

In the meantime I'll see what I can do with existing screenshots and game footage, plus the tileset I made based on SMBC.

TheSeek

Post » 22 Jan 2013, 19:10

Superjustinbros wrote: You're correct on that, however the emulator I used yesterday doesn't emulate battery backup, so the only game I could play was Wiz-Man as I get an error screen every time the game attempts to save.
I dunno what emulator you're using, but No$Gba supports battery saves...you can't do "save state/load state" on it cuz the featue is broken, but all you need is a 100% completed game save(which i happen to have and tested) and you're done. You'd had to start the game from the start each time(just Demon Returns, not the whole Game Center CX 2) and manually(playing it) go to the stage you left to keep on "ripping it"(or why not, finish the whole Demon Returns in one run while while, shouldn't be that hard), but to me it's much better than having to wait for someonelse to do a translation and maps for it.
Superjustinbros wrote: The emulator also doesn't sport a quick screenshot feature, where pressing one of the Function keys takes an automatic snapshot; helps big when you can't pause the game.
True, but you can always pause the emulator itself and take normal snapshots through Windows.

Anyway, if you need any help to know how to properly do it(the emu save thing), just PM me.

Superjustinbros

Post » 22 Jan 2013, 19:30

I'd like if you could send me the saves for No$GBA. Though the only thing I must ask by now is how to get the emulator's colors so that they match the ones seen in screenshots (with high contrast).

Got the last problem figured out, but now I need to figure out where the saved snapshots go to on my computer, because they don't appear in the "SNAP" folder.

Smear-Gel

Post » 22 Jan 2013, 19:33

Oh those new backgrounds look great.

I especially like the second one which really looks like a greenhouse to me for some reason.

TheSeek

Post » 22 Jan 2013, 21:18

Superjustinbros wrote:I'd like if you could send me the saves for No$GBA. Though the only thing I must ask by now is how to get the emulator's colors so that they match the ones seen in screenshots (with high contrast).

Got the last problem figured out, but now I need to figure out where the saved snapshots go to on my computer, because they don't appear in the "SNAP" folder.
the SNAP folder has nothing to do with snapshot as "screenshots", snapshots are No$Gba savestates, but they're broken for DS games.
To do screenshots you have to press the PrintScreen on your keyboard, and they're not saved as files, but in the clipboard, so you have to manually paste the screenshot in Paint or any other graph program(luckly they're just the screens and not the whole No$Gba emulator, like this).
To pause the emulator you need NO$Zoomer 2.3.0.2 tho(just extract the files in the No$Gba folder and run the emu through "NO$Zoomer.exe", then use Backspace to pause), No$Gba doesnt have a pause feature itself.

About saves, here, it goes in the BATTERY folder, just make sure the file name is the same as the rom name(except for the extension of course).

If anything goes wrong or you can't set No$Gba and/or NO$Zoomer(it might be a lil mess), just say it and i'll make you a preconfigurated pack.

Superjustinbros

Post » 22 Jan 2013, 21:45

Actually I was able to figure out how to do screenshots for DS games just like you pointed out above. I got 1-1, 1-2, 2-1, 2-2, and almost all of 2-3 in Demon Returns. When I finish the tiles, I'll start the project then post the Dem0n Returns topic on this forum shortly after.

TripleXero

Post » 23 Jan 2013, 00:44

I think this might be helpful for the screenshot issues: http://www.mailsend-online.com/blog/aut ... redux.html

Superjustinbros

Post » 02 Feb 2013, 20:10

Now presented in XL Wide-Screen format!

BobTheLawyer

Post » 02 Feb 2013, 21:26

Because my mod is built into yours, you could have taken those without the testing level text...

Superjustinbros

Post » 03 Feb 2013, 01:41

Made a couple of improvements to the mod. The eyes have been separated from the hat, now they'll always be white regardless of what colors you use.

Superjustinbros

Post » 18 Feb 2013, 22:37

Alrighty guys, Beta 14 is now live! I downloaded Paint.Net and added parallax scrolling to levels that previously didn't have it, and changed the underground music.

Remember to use the secret warpzone in 1-1 to get to levels beyond 2-4!

BobTheLawyer

Post » 19 Feb 2013, 01:40

Superjustinbros wrote: downloaded Paint.Net
What did you used to use?

Superjustinbros

Post » 19 Feb 2013, 01:48

BobTheLawyer wrote:
Superjustinbros wrote: downloaded Paint.Net
What did you used to use?
I still use them; Photoshop and MS Paint.

I don't have Photoshop installed on my PC (which I use for Mari0), so it's a convent way of making overlaying backgrounds without swapping between too computers.

BobTheLawyer

Post » 19 Feb 2013, 01:59

MS PAINT??

You must have died.

Superjustinbros

Post » 19 Feb 2013, 02:23

BobTheLawyer wrote:MS PAINT??

You must have died.
Well, remember the backgrounds that didn't use prolix scrolling prior to this update?

MS Paint'd.

MYKE1002XD

Post » 19 Feb 2013, 02:27

Because mistake goes out for me on having initiated it? Help I speak españoll and use translator

Superjustinbros

Post » 19 Feb 2013, 21:55

Ever since I updated the mod to the new version, I've been experiencing slowdowns in next to every map pack I play that has a background with my mod. Is it because I installed the new underground BGM? Even when my older version(s) reached above 20MB, I never got slowdowns, but now I have to keep vSync on.

Superjustinbros

Post » 25 Feb 2013, 07:34

Okay, here's 4-2's new background.
The large round trees and mountain will have to be redone, whenever I redo them from scratch or just straighten out the lines and give them a bit of a cleanup job.

Why must the game be so sluggish whenever I try to play this mappack? It always freezes when I'm in the heat of the action and I had to turn vSync on because of it. And even something as complex as 0'Bros could run without slowdowns.

Edit: I had Vsync on, I turned it off and now the problem no longer exists.

Does anyone know about the anime series Aria? I was thinking of styling 3-1's background after a poster I got of that series back in 2008.
Here's an example of what I'm talking about: http://i913.photobucket.com/albums/ac33 ... 3f6132.jpg

2nd EDIT: Another bonus from me, demonstrating a few new frames that will be added in the SE version of my mod.

I also felt like adding in extremely well-hidden items that'd be known as "Treasures" with SE's entity/enemy editor, which'd aware many, many points (between 10,000 to 500,000)

FaycalMenouar

Post » 27 Feb 2013, 09:29

so you're gonna release the full version when SE comes out ?

Superjustinbros

Post » 27 Feb 2013, 14:39

Yep. It does sadden me that like a lot of other mappacks on this forum, it's waiting for Special Edition. It does give me time to fix and improve levels that are already done, though I'm sure a few of them will have to be redone to take full advantage of Special Edition's new content.

EDIT: Here's how 3-1's new background works:

Superjustinbros

Post » 05 Mar 2013, 03:50

Decided to change both the underwater and puzzle level musics into songs from Sega's "New Century Tetris". I was kinda getting sick of the Mr. Gimmick Stage 2 music (it was a good tune, I swear), and this new song for the puzzles levels is far more catchy than the Atomic Punk Hevol theme.

ucenna

Post » 10 Mar 2013, 20:54

Well I finally decide to give this a go...
It's Awesome! I think it'll be very DLCable when it's finished!

Superjustinbros

Post » 10 Mar 2013, 20:56

ucenna wrote:Well I finally decide to give this a go...
It's Awesome! I think it'll be very DLCable when it's finished!
Well considering how Maurice has time to appreciate Assasin's work, surely someday he'll recognize the beauty of this map pack...
...that is, once SE is released.

BobTheLawyer

Post » 10 Mar 2013, 21:06

Don't expect him to notice it yet since the current demo ends at 2-4.

Superjustinbros

Post » 11 Mar 2013, 00:52

BobTheLawyer wrote:Don't expect him to notice it yet since the current demo ends at 2-4.
Well that's why for the newer versions until the final the warp pipe to the warp zone in 1-1 is now visible, so you can at least see the other levels of the mappack before Special Edition gets released.

Smear-Gel

Post » 11 Mar 2013, 20:42

Is it out of place to say I'm loving your new avatar?

And that the backgrounds are top notch?

Superjustinbros

Post » 11 Mar 2013, 23:48

Not at all. ;3
Oh, and I got the rough drafts down of the level idea usenna mentioned on the Tips, Tricks, and Secrets thread. Big thanks to him.

ucenna

Post » 12 Mar 2013, 15:17

Glad to be of service! Might I recommend finished lasers as well:
Although I don't know whether or not this will work with your mods graphics...

Superjustinbros

Post » 12 Mar 2013, 15:58

I think you should upload whatever mappack your screens come from, I'd be interested in playing it.

ucenna

Post » 12 Mar 2013, 16:03

Sorry to pique your interest, I just put more effort into my screenshots then some other people... Their isn't any other mappack. :(

Superjustinbros

Post » 12 Mar 2013, 16:23

ucenna wrote:Sorry to pique your interest, I just put more effort into my screenshots then some other people... Their isn't any other mappack. :(
It's worth trying, at least.

ucenna

Post » 12 Mar 2013, 18:53

Don't worry, I came up with an excuse to do puzzle levels in the journey.

Superjustinbros

Post » 16 Mar 2013, 08:15

Remind me sooner or later to get Beta 15 out eventually.

Due to 3-2's new room being far from finished, World 3 is now only halfway playable. So if you do wish to play any of 3-3 or 3-4 starting from this update, I'd strongly recommend using the editor.

3-3 is possibly the next candidate for receiving a new background.

idiot9.0

Post » 22 Mar 2013, 01:08

I decided to sit down with A0zora, incomplete as it is, and review both the mappack and the mod, level by level, bit by bit, and give you my honest opinion on both. Keep in mind as this is solely my opinion, and as I did with Bob's group mappack, I tried my best. Also I will drop the F Bomb during the review, so if you're offended by profanity, please pass on. With all that said, here's the review:
Idiot9.0's review of 'A0zora' wrote: Mod Review-
The enemy squash sound is stupid.
The fireball sound... really. Doesn't fit
The coin graphic is nice. All of them.
The music is hit and miss. (I mention the music during the mappack review, but this is how I feel in general)
The end of level music is kind of long, and unless you have tons of time left, never gets a chance to play through all the way. I don't like that.
The enemies look are actually pretty well done. Nice and creative.
That companion cube graphic.... I dunno. I can't say I like it.

All in all the mod is okay. The sound effects make the game feel like it's supposed to be an old school shmup. Which doesn't really fit the platformer feel.

Mappack-
1-1/ Pretty okay first level, just don't know if it's in a building or what. Also the music took a minute to be good, which isn't good.
1-2/ I like the Background. Other than that okay level.
1-3/ The music is good, and the puzzles are good. So.
1-4/ The music... is good but I don't think it fits. Pretty okay level. But why add a death scream to bowser? Just wow
(After hearing it a few more times it actually sounds like a sound effect from Doom or Quake. It still doesn't fit)

2-1/ nice background again. Still don't like the music here. Also the star music.. ew
2-2/ That second room was annoying. otherwise okay.
2-3/ The fish reminds me of Elvis. Also the new swim sound... meh. I do like the squid though. okay level.
2-4/ Incomplete so not reviewing.

3-1/ Nice Background. Needs a freaking checkpoint. Long level, got bored of it.
3-2/ HOW IS THIS NOT COMPLETE??? I got through all of it, and from what I see, you only needed to put one button down to make this level complete. IN THE SUBLEVEL. WHY IS IT NOT DONE??? Just put the fucking button where it is gonna go and finish this map. THEN FINISH 2-4!
3-3/ If you need to put the timer for over 1000 seconds, you need to make your level shorter.
3-4/ I still like the castle music you picked. What I don't like is how you went from castle to underground theme. If it's in a castle keep the castle music and tiles. Also I get the feel you're trying to go for in that last section, but it doesn't work.

4-1/ The background here is.... eh, okay. Level's fine too. I also found a way to break your level with the blue laser.
4-2/ Backgrounds nice here. Lakitu needs an eyebrow trim. Also why is this level incomplete? It's more than long enough to be a complete level. Shrink it down and finish it.
4-3/ How the fuck do you solve this?
4-4/ The transitioning between the different parts is terrible. You start off in a nighttime area, then you go through the pipe and are suddenly in a dusk setting? Then You find a red castle spot, pipe in, and go back to the first area (checkpoint I presume) and then a Green castle? Just all kinds of mesh there. Also the maze broke, leaving me unable to finish the level

5-1/ Nothing really too bad about this level. But why is there a star near the very end by the hammer bro?
5-2/ I hated this level, it was just too tedious.
5-3/ How the actual fuck. I got past the first 3 parts but got stuck. Is this incomplete too? Just... ugh. Also your puzzles sucked. ALSO I don't' care how much time you give, do NOT put a time limit on puzzle levels. Just set the time at 0 or hit infinite time. I don't care.
5-4/ Forced hit puzzles? Just no. I broke the first and third, and that fourth one is cheap.
And apparently it's incomplete too.... See a pattern here?

6-1/ ...
Alright, I bet you are wondering why it ends at 6-1. Honestly, after playing through that far, I got tired of it. The levels were either just Okay, boring or frustrating, and I just couldn't play on. I just didn't care to finish. And that's a bad thing.

Too many levels were too long, some of the stages had either boring or bad design, and some puzzles were just stupid hard. I wanted to give up after dying 10 times on the first puzzle in 5-3.
And the main thing I didn't like is that you had to use the level editor to access the levels that were complete. It just got stupid having to open it all the time just because one level didn't have an end.

Some advice I'll give:
  • -Don't make the levels stupid long. If you have to have the timer go over 1000, it's too long. 4-3 is a good example of a really long level that doesn't need to be. 4-3 could be split into 2 levels and both be good length. Stupid long levels = reduced fun
    -Infinite time the Portal levels. This is a minor gripe, but if you're having puzzle levels, don't have a time limit be pressuring you. I almost died due to timeout on 3-2.
    -Revamp some levels. I couldn't really tell you specifically how, but just go through each level and see how it could be done better.
And this next one is the most imporant one:
  • -Don't include the incomplete levels in your demo. Honestly. If a level isn't done, remove it from the pack when you're releasing the demo. Move some levels around or add a pipe to an artificial end. Or even just add the flagpole at the end temporarily, then remove it when you get time to finish it. Don't make people have to use the level editor to access the complete levels. It gets tedious and just is overall terrible.
All in all... 5/10. It was fun toward the beginning, but loses value the moment you need the editor, and it all just goes downhill.

Superjustinbros

Post » 22 Mar 2013, 18:01

Considering all the faults you've listed, I think the best thing for me would be just to restart the entire thing from scratch. Considering how I want to make sure this becomes one of the most successful mappacks on the forums, using both themes and music/sound effects that aren't used to death in other mappacks and SMB fangames, and still get respected by many.

The music selections were to give the mappack the feeling like the player was in some sort of dream world where the goal was to just reach paradise. The sound for stomping an enemy is from Bonk's Adventure, and the shell kick/enemy kill sound is from Pocket Zaurus. The puzzle/portal level music is from Tetris New Century (considering how it too is a puzzle game) The swim sound originates from Magical Taruruto-Kun on the SNES, and the Bowser Die sound is from Vectorman, when the player gets killed. In all, it's meant to sound like "Mari0 on drugs"; overall insane to the point where the bizarre nature of the mappack itself would execrate the excitement of players and make the mappack feel more lively as a result.

Part of the reason why the levels get absurdly long is with vanilla Mari0, you only have a limit of 32 levels, 4 levels per world. Of course I could accordingly make every two worlds be part of the same theme, but then that would make players playing without the mod (oh how many that exist) unable to advance beyond the fourth world. I just like long games so I can have as many well designed levels as possible, and I promise, once Special Edition finally gets it's ultimate long-awaited release, I'll be on full throttle with level designing, including the backgrounds to make them look more advanced (not to 0'Bros' levels, but decent enough) and the level themes more consistent with decent length.

And let's not forget the inability to have multiple custom music in the map pack...
Last edited by Superjustinbros on 22 Mar 2013, 18:07, edited 2 times in total.

renhoek

Post » 22 Mar 2013, 18:05

Superjustinbros wrote:0'Bros.
The map's dead you can stop beating it with a stick now (no offense)

Anyway have you considered seeking help for making maps?

Superjustinbros

Post » 22 Mar 2013, 18:14

xXxrenhoekxXx wrote:

When Maurice worships your mappack on the Stabyourself blog, you know it will never die.

Not really, though it would really help for steering me in the right direction with map creation, after idiot9.0's criticism.

Here's another thing why the game runs so absurdly long. The supposed first game of my series yet to begin development, Aozora's Adventure, was originally intended to have between 20-30 average-sized levels for each of the game's eleven worlds, with two mini bosses and a single world boss after every set of eight levels or so.

Then came my introduction to the terms "design by committee" and "feature creep".

Qcode

Post » 22 Mar 2013, 18:47

Last edited by Qcode on 21 Oct 2021, 17:17, edited 1 time in total.

Superjustinbros

Post » 22 Mar 2013, 19:03

Qcode wrote: Up to 330 levels o_o. I don't know how you could keep creative design. I had trouble keeping this varied while making 50 levels for Bighead, and I got to change themes every 5 levels. Every 5th level was a boss level too, meaning that I stuck to the theme of the world even less on those levels.
If anyone's questioning why the number of levels planned for my series' main sidescroller games are ridiculously high, three words. Mushroom. Kingdom. Fusion.

The Cheep-Cheeps are actually Chonmagyos from Densetsu no Starfy 2.

TurretBot

Post » 24 Mar 2013, 16:09

Superjustinbros wrote:
xXxrenhoekxXx wrote:

When Maurice worships your mappack on the Stabyourself blog, you know it will never die.

Not really, though it would really help for steering me in the right direction with map creation, after idiot9.0's criticism.
Have fun when Super 0'Brothers and 0'Bros: SE come out.
Last edited by TurretBot on 28 Jun 2013, 19:50, edited 2 times in total.

Superjustinbros

Post » 24 Mar 2013, 18:12

Lawl.

Hopefully by then Baf would have seen the criticism and create levels without a focus on shell puzzles. The concept of maneuvering shells is fine, as stated previously, just the way Baf did them was what turned me off. I do like the execution and visuals of the mappack and how the different themes and backgrounds were created, but all it needs are redesigned levels and it should be gold.