Castlevania Mappack

Mapping related threads and questions go in here!
JJokerDude

Post » 03 Apr 2012, 05:14

I'm working on recreating every stage from Castlevania in Mari0. So far, only 1-1 is 100% complete (with a few bugs, like my custom background reverting to Portal tiles), and 1-2 and 1-3 are set up, but don't have the final graphics.

Footage here, for whoever's interested:

RWLabs

Post » 03 Apr 2012, 06:23

I never played Castlevania but I'd definitely give it a go when its done.

Ganondalf

Post » 03 Apr 2012, 06:57

This is kind of really awesome... Can't wait for you to finish.

idiot9.0

Post » 03 Apr 2012, 07:23

Okay, that was pretty cool. I am a Castlevania fan, so I completely approve of this. Definitely gonna give it a play when it's done.

(I was also gonna say that I believe the reason for your background reverting back to the portal one is that it wasn't long enough for the stage..... but then the end of the level looked like normal Castlevania, so I have no clue.)

renhoek

Post » 03 Apr 2012, 09:34

great work so far,
makes me wish the only castlevania I own isn't castlevania hd :( (I mean I want to play the others :P)

JJokerDude

Post » 04 Apr 2012, 02:34

RWLabs wrote:I never played Castlevania but I'd definitely give it a go when its done.
Thanks! I'll probably post the most up-to-date version once I finish world 1. Stage 1-2 is done, by the way.
Ganondalf wrote:This is kind of really awesome... Can't wait for you to finish.
Thank you! It might take a while to finish all the stages, but again, I'll upload my progress soon.
idiot9.0 wrote:Okay, that was pretty cool. I am a Castlevania fan, so I completely approve of this. Definitely gonna give it a play when it's done.

(I was also gonna say that I believe the reason for your background reverting back to the portal one is that it wasn't long enough for the stage..... but then the end of the level looked like normal Castlevania, so I have no clue.)
Always good to meet a fellow Castlevania fan! And yeah, I'm not sure why it's doing that... For some reason it shows up as Portal tiles in the editor, and when I test it, it's the Castlevania one. Then I try it in Single Player mode, and it starts off with Portal walls... And then when I die, it fixes itself. (I kind of had to edit the video to cut out me dying at the beginning.) Then, I guess if I leave the room and come back (as with the hidden warp pipe to the merman area), it's ruined again. I hope I can fix this...
Also, not sure if any of you saw my other thread, but I'm having problems with checkpoints. I fixed 1-1 by turning the courtyard into an Intermission scene, but the other stages are going to be tricky without checkpoints. I'm also getting annoyed with the Starman music playing over Vampire Killer instead of playing by itself. I'm sure these will be worked out eventually though.
Anyway... Thank you for the feedback!
xXxrenhoekxXx wrote:great work so far,
makes me wish the only castlevania I own isn't castlevania hd :( (I mean I want to play the others :P)
Which console do you have it on? The X-box Live version has 8-bit Simon Belmont and the original NES Castlevania map as DLC... Not sure if the PSN version has them yet. From what I've seen, that's pretty close to the original, aside from Simon's double-jump and the enemies' health. And if you have PSN, Castlevania Chronicles is available for purchase. If you don't have money for them though, there's always emulation.

Glad to see people like this idea. I'll try to get more done soon.

renhoek

Post » 04 Apr 2012, 08:32

I have it for psn with the 8-bit stuff + level 11 (I think it's 11).

I'll check chronicles out, sounds fun.

EDIT: I searched and have come to the conclusion it's not available in Australia
*ahem*
nah I'll just wait for an opertunity to get one.

JJokerDude

Post » 04 Apr 2012, 11:28

xXxrenhoekxXx wrote:I have it for psn with the 8-bit stuff + level 11 (I think it's 11).

EDIT: I searched and have come to the conclusion it's not available in Australia
*ahem*
Damn, that sucks... Still, nothing beats the original. I'm telling you, the NES rom's the way to go lol.

renhoek

Post » 04 Apr 2012, 12:08

JJokerDude wrote:Damn, that sucks... Still, nothing beats the original. I'm telling you, the NES rom's the way to go lol.
If I have some spare wii points I'll get castle vania on virtual console (if it's there) but I do have the dlc "orgins" level for castlevania HD and that's essentually a remake of the first game :P

also I don't download roms unless I already have a legal copy or construnction purposes (my smb2j mappack) and then delete it afterwards :P

JJokerDude

Post » 04 Apr 2012, 23:38

xXxrenhoekxXx wrote:
JJokerDude wrote:Damn, that sucks... Still, nothing beats the original. I'm telling you, the NES rom's the way to go lol.
If I have some spare wii points I'll get castle vania on virtual console (if it's there) but I do have the dlc "orgins" level for castlevania HD and that's essentually a remake of the first game :P

also I don't download roms unless I already have a legal copy or construnction purposes (my smb2j mappack) and then delete it afterwards :P
Ah yes, I forgot, it is on the Virtual Console. And that's a good principle to go by; I respect that. I definitely recommend giving that game a try though, whatever method you decide on.

Anyway... World 1-3 is almost done. I'm not sure if Maurice is planning on making checkpoints work across multiple rooms (as Room 0 is meant to be the main room, and 1-5 are meant to lead back to the first room), but right now stages 1-2 and 1-3 are a little difficult. Also, I've figured out that custom backgrounds generally don't work unless they're in the first room. I also don't feel like mashing the entire stage into one room, as the pipes might not work correctly that way... However, stage 1-4 should be relatively simple to make, I think.

trosh

Post » 04 Apr 2012, 23:46

xXxrenhoekxXx wrote:also I don't download roms unless I already have a legal copy or construnction purposes (my smb2j mappack) and then delete it afterwards :P

Code: Select all

trosh@trosh-P1610:~/roms$ ls NES SNES N64 GB DS MAME ATARI2600
ATARI2600:
Asteroids.a26        Donkey Kong [1983].a26  Flippern.a26  Frostbite.a26  Space Invaders.a26
Crystal Castles.a26  Donkey Kong [198x].a26  Frogger.a26   Pac-Man.a26

DS:
0022 Super Mario 64 DS (EU)(M5).nds

GB:
SML1.gb  Tetris DX.gbc

MAME:
1942.zip      arknoid2.zip  atetris.zip   dkong.zip     list.txt     megaman.zip   ncv1.zip     pc_mman3.zip
arkangc.zip   arknoidj.zip  bmcorerm.zip  frogger.zip   llander.zip  mk4.zip       neogeo.zip   pc_smb.zip
arkanoid.zip  arknoidu.zip  bubbletr.zip  invaders.zip  mariojp.zip  mslug.zip     nss_smw.zip  tetrista.zip
arkgcbl.zip   astdelux.zip  ddr2m.zip     kof2001.zip   mario.zip    mspacman.zip  pc_1942.zip

N64:
dump               F-Zero X.z64       Mario Kart 64.z64  Monster Truck Madness 64.z64  Zelda Ocarina Of Time.z64
Excitebike 64.z64  GoldenEye 007.z64  Mario Party.z64    Super Mario 64.z64

NES:
3-D Battles of World Runner, The (U).nes  Duck Hunt.nes   Kirby.nes       Paperboy.nes          Sonic.nes
Bionic Commando.nes                       dump            MBC.nes         Prince of Persia.nes  Tennis.nes
Contra.nes                                Earthbound.nes  Mega Man 1.nes  SMB1.fast.nes         Tetris.nes
DK1.nes                                   Excitebike.nes  Mega Man 2.nes  SMB1.nes              Tetris (Tengen).nes
DK2.nes                                   Famicom         Mega Man 3.nes  SMB2J.nes             Zelda 1.nes
DK3.nes                                   Gradius 1.nes   Metroid.nes     SMB2.nes              Zelda 2.nes
Dr. Mario.nes                             Gradius 2.nes   Paperboy 2.nes  SMB3.nes

SNES:
Chrono Trigger.smc       Earthbound.smc          Prince of Persia 2.smc  SMRPG.smc              Super Metroid.smc
Chrono Trigger.txt       F-ZERO.smc              Prince of Persia.smc    SMW1.smc               Top Gear 1.smc
Donkey Kong Country.smc  Galaxy Wars.smc         Sim City 2000.smc       SMW2.smc               Top Gear 2.smc
Doom.smc                 Kirby Dream Land 3.smc  SMAS.smc                Star Fox.smc           Zelda Link to the Past.smc
dump                     Mega Man X.smc          SMKart.smc              Super F1 Circus 3.smc
*scratches head*

renhoek

Post » 05 Apr 2012, 11:25

I don't get it?

trosh

Post » 05 Apr 2012, 15:38

what ? i just listed out my roms directory (secret : I don't legally own them)
anyway disregard that it was off-topic

renhoek

Post » 05 Apr 2012, 15:52

trosh wrote:what ? i just listed out my roms directory (secret : I don't legally own them)
anyway disregard that it was off-topic
oh ok I was confused there :P

so is there anything we can do to help out with the castle vania project?

idiot9.0

Post » 05 Apr 2012, 21:38

Off topic: If you wanna play the first Castlevania, but don't wanna download roms, there's always virtualnes.com. I guess it's techinically an emulator, but hey, you don't have to download roms. And since the site only hosts games that the owner's have, it's technically legal. :3

On topic: Glad to hear this mappack is making progress. Can't wait to play it. And as xXxrenhoekxXx said:
xXxrenhoekxXx wrote:so is there anything we can do to help out with the castle vania project?
I'd be very much willing to help this out as well.

JJokerDude

Post » 06 Apr 2012, 05:02

idiot9.0 wrote:Off topic: If you wanna play the first Castlevania, but don't wanna download roms, there's always virtualnes.com. I guess it's techinically an emulator, but hey, you don't have to download roms. And since the site only hosts games that the owner's have, it's technically legal. :3

On topic: Glad to hear this mappack is making progress. Can't wait to play it. And as xXxrenhoekxXx said:
xXxrenhoekxXx wrote:so is there anything we can do to help out with the castle vania project?
I'd be very much willing to help this out as well.
I'm not sure if there's anything that has to be done, other than the ridiculously time-consuming tile placement lol. However, if somebody can help me find solutions to these issues I'm having (backgrounds and checkpoints not working in rooms 1 through 5), that would be awesome. Otherwise, I should be okay. Thanks for offering, though.

EDIT: Oh, I'm also having problems with the areas where Mario has to head left. Enemies don't spawn while scrolling to the left, making stage 1-2 very easy. And I don't know if the Starman music can be repaired so that it doesn't play WITH my custom song, but in place of it. Also, I know I said I'd finish 1-4 before uploading this, but I'm feeling kind of lazy at the minute and want to share this with you guys. Here's the current version! http://www.datafilehost.com/download-c880cb8b.html

renhoek

Post » 06 Apr 2012, 05:43

name the image file like this for sub level cusom backgrounds
1-2_3background1

idiot9.0

Post » 06 Apr 2012, 06:38

Okay, I think I found a fix for your background problem.
Using your level for example, you need to have your background file twice, one labeled 1-1background1.png and another 1-1_1background1.png

The reason I say this is because I looked into your level pack, and saw it labeled 1-1background1.png. Because you had the intermission, the main level was at 1-1_1 (as labeled in the level txt files anyway). So you need the background labeled as 1-1_1background1.png. However, whenever I died the background went back to portal style. I have no idea why, but I ended up concluding that when you die, it loads that level as 1-1 instead of 1-1_1. So I just duplicated the background and had both labeled as 1-1background1.png and another 1-1_1background1.png, and when I went back to the level and died, the background still worked.

Yeah, I find what I wrote confusing too, so someone will need to test this to see if it's not just me.

Oh, and great work so far. It's looking great, can't wait for it to be finished.

JJokerDude

Post » 06 Apr 2012, 06:44

xXxrenhoekxXx wrote:name the image file like this for sub level cusom backgrounds
1-2_3background1
idiot9.0 wrote:Okay, I think I found a fix for your background problem.
Using your level for example, you need to have your background file twice, one labeled 1-1background1.png and another 1-1_1background1.png

The reason I say this is because I looked into your level pack, and saw it labeled 1-1background1.png. Because you had the intermission, the main level was at 1-1_1 (as labeled in the level txt files anyway). So you need the background labeled as 1-1_1background1.png. However, whenever I died the background went back to portal style. I have no idea why, but I ended up concluding that when you die, it loads that level as 1-1 instead of 1-1_1. So I just duplicated the background and had both labeled as 1-1background1.png and another 1-1_1background1.png, and when I went back to the level and died, the background still worked.

Yeah, I find what I wrote confusing too, so someone will need to test this to see if it's not just me.
Ah! Thank you, guys, that worked. I probably should have read a few tutorials before I started this project, but the backgrounds are good now. Thanks again.

JJokerDude

Post » 15 Apr 2012, 02:39

Okay, so I've been kind of lazy about getting this done. If anyone wants to pick the project up, I could upload it so far. Otherwise, I may not continue until my semester ends in a few weeks.

MrCytosine

Post » 15 Apr 2012, 12:59

Man I can't wait to have a go on that, the graphics look really good.

Also, I was wondering if you have already made a logo for it, because I could make one if you want.

JJokerDude

Post » 22 Apr 2012, 16:06

MrCytosine wrote:Man I can't wait to have a go on that, the graphics look really good.

Also, I was wondering if you have already made a logo for it, because I could make one if you want.
Sorry for replying so late.

Yes, there's an icon. Originally it was the original box art, shrunken down, but I ended up changing it to Mario in front of the title screen castle.

kyudoxp

Post » 23 Apr 2012, 05:05

what if you make the candles (? box) to invisible blocks?
and Great map it remember me to the old days.

Mario lover
PERMABANNED

Post » 24 Apr 2012, 13:00

JJokerDude wrote:
xXxrenhoekxXx wrote:I have it for psn with the 8-bit stuff + level 11 (I think it's 11).

*ahem*
Damn, that sucks... Still, nothing beats the original. I'm telling you, the NES rom's the way to go lol.
Castlevania 4 would be the best in the 16-bit generation,in 8-bit,yeah,1 is the best in the 8-bit generation!

renhoek

Post » 24 Apr 2012, 13:14

that post was made two weeks ago
dude stop responding to dead post and threads

Mario lover
PERMABANNED

Post » 05 May 2012, 15:41

xXxrenhoekxXx wrote:that post was made two weeks ago
dude stop responding to dead post and threads
Not again!

TurretBot

Post » 05 May 2012, 18:44

RWLabs wrote:I'm also getting annoyed with the Starman music playing over Vampire Killer instead of playing by itself. I'm sure these will be worked out eventually though.
Try getting "Vampire Killer" as an ogg.

step 1: find the song on youtube.
step 2: http://video.online-convert.com/convert-to-ogg
step 3: ???
step π: become a br0ny... -.-'
step 4: profit!

kyudoxp

Post » 05 May 2012, 22:58

Turret Opera wrote:
RWLabs wrote:I'm also getting annoyed with the Starman music playing over Vampire Killer instead of playing by itself. I'm sure these will be worked out eventually though.

or click this

TurretBot

Post » 18 May 2012, 21:02

kyudoxp wrote:
Turret Opera wrote:

or click this
*countdown to insanity*
It's too late!
It's too fate! wait what
But I've got nothing too lose!