Super Mario Classic - SMB.nes romhack. 10 years in the making!!!

Feel free to showcase your own projects!
sgwyspeedrcr

Post » 31 Jan 2019, 04:20

In 2007 I wanted to learn how to mod mario. In 2018, after 11 years of tinker toying, I want to share it. It is in beta 2 state. I hope you enjoy the level design.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/4415r6lhc ... 2.ips/file

Here are some pics. I tried but could not figure out how to hide the pics or not make them enormous

[collapse=]Image[/collapse]
Image[/collapse]

Caveat - in 2010 i discovered a huge dump of smb roms. It inspired me to update the game graphically. At the time, I didn't plan on releasing it, so I didn't document sources. Frantik, Flamepanter, Macbee are some I remember, but there are many more that I do not. I don't condone stealing others' artwork, but I genuinely cannot recall some of the source material. I believe the level design and palette choices, as well as some of my original or adapted sprites, give the mod its own merit.

Plan Forward -
1) I don't like the vine climbing sprites. Doesn't look intuitive when actually climbing a vine, but looks beast when sliding down the flagpole.
2) There is a sibling hack of luigi, with full graphics and physic changes. I haven't fully matched the level design in that game to the one released today. I don't mind releasing the luigi mod if people want, in alpha state.
3) Small bug fixes. Certain castles have Mario walk way further than needed due to X position, so I need to fix those, but the game is still functional.
4) Title is meh. There's too many generic mario mod names. This needs a name like Mario - Faithful to Classics or something.

masterminer176

Post » 31 Jan 2019, 07:33

"Super Mario Retro" perhaps?

sgwyspeedrcr

Post » 31 Jan 2019, 14:09

Maybe so. That's not a bad idea. Thanks!

Bromaster
PERMABANNED

Post » 10 Aug 2019, 01:15

sgwyspeedrcr wrote:
31 Jan 2019, 04:20
I tried but could not figure out how to hide the pics or not make them enormous
You need to put something after the "=" in [collapse=] for the images to be hidden.