BRiTEBOT - A 3d puzzle game

Feel free to showcase your own projects!
alesan99

Post » 21 Jul 2017, 00:08

This is a game I've been really busy with. Last year I programmed most of it and this year I worked on level design and music (I was only satisfied with two tracks so a lot of the game is silent)
I have more time to work on my Mari0 Mod, but I'll probably start another project after releasing an update so it won't stay that way.

As always, the rest of the post is copy pasted from here: https://www.love2d.org/forums/viewtopic ... 4&p=213983

ABOUT
I've been working on this game for a really long time and I'm excited to release it!
This is a 3D puzzle game about collecting wrenches. Each level has a unique gimmick that you must use to help you (for example, pushing blocks, springs, teleporters, etc.)
There are 12 stages in total. You'll need to complete the first 6 to unlock the bonus night levels.
Note: If the game runs slow make sure you turn off "good graphics" in the settings.

SCREENSHOTS
ImageImage
ImageImage
DOWNLOADS
WINDOWS (.exe)
OSX (.app)
LINUX (.love)
SOURCE (LOVE 0.10.X)

HELP
Instructions:
- In order to collect the wrenches you must move and jump.
- You can hold the move keys but if you need precision I recommend tapping the keys every time you want to move (You can also move faster this way).
- While jumping you can move twice in the air, but you can only jump on top of a block with your first move.
Controls (Change in settings):
  • Move: W A S D Keys
    Camera: Arrow Keys (Or drag with mouse)
    Jump: Space
    Pause: Escape/Enter/Select Key (If you get stuck, pause to reset)
Settings:
If the game runs slow I strongly suggest turning off "good graphics" in the settings.
Doing this makes the game use spritebatches, but as a result shadows are simplified. Shaders are also disabled in this setting.

Hope you enjoy!
Last edited by alesan99 on 21 Jul 2017, 17:54, edited 1 time in total.

HugoBDesigner

Post » 21 Jul 2017, 02:59

I'm so glad to see this finished, been looking forward to this game ever since you first posted about it.

I'm gonna be writing some criticism as I play it, if you don't mind:
First thing I noticed was the menu music. To be fair, I think it doesn't really fit. I can't tell the melody it's playing.

In the settings, I tried binding the camera to the mouse buttons, but it didn't work. I was going to suggest that, but you were one step ahead of me, nice job xD

The controls are a bit confusing at first, maybe I just haven't had time to get used to them. One thing that is quite confusing is the jumping mechanic. I didn't consider you could carry through a gap of blocks with a single jump, so I didn't try doing that for quite a while. Also jumping off of ledges seems to be a bit hard, since you have to jump first, then move, shortly after. I fell down quite a few times.

One thing that I think would be a nice addition, but nothing absolutely needed, would be an "undo" button. That'd be handy if the player makes a wrong move by accident but don't need to restart the whole level. Maybe I got spoiled by PuzzleScript, which has an undo feature by default.

Onto level 2. It took me quite a while to figure out what I was supposed to do, but I think I just needed to get used to the trampolines. After that it was pretty straightforward.

Level 3 was pretty neat, I liked the use of the ice tiles to make the player think where to go.

One thing I noticed that might have been intentional, but still looks off, is that while falling down from the jump, the player can still move up a block, which makes them "teleport" back up.
Something else I noticed is that boxes don't seem to have a "falling" animation

Dunno if I broke Level 4, but I never needed the yellow teleporters. In fact, I couldn't think of how to use them at all, so instead I just got the block from the green teleporter area, moved it down to the red area, and moved the 3-blocks pile between it and the highest wrench.

Level 5 was also neat, having to orient the same block in multiple ways to make passage to different areas. Only complaint is the same, that if you fail to jump you have to do-over. Also, I get that it's been a recurring theme through all the levels to have one slightly-hidden wrench, but this one was full-on hidden. I suspected it'd be in the one blind spot of the map, but still.

I had my settings on good graphics and antialiasing 2, and it was running very smoothly. Decided to pump it up to 4, still very smooth. Then I decided to bring it down to 0 and disable good graphics. And I didn't notice too much of a difference, only a bit more roughness around the edges. I guess that's a good thing, that the game doesn't look ugly on minimum settings.

Level 6 was pretty good, and got me stumped for quite a while until I realized I had to reuse the box. I never needed the ice part, though.

Another thing I noticed: the player's sprite shows through blocks when jumping.

On Level 7, I only got the third wrench by restarting the level. Not sure if there was a way to get all three in a single go. But one thing I had missed before was that the background rotated along with the level, so that's pretty neat! Also, not sure why this level has music, when the others before didn't.
I'll be sure to keep playing this game tomorrow and write a bit more on it, but so far I've really enjoyed it! The graphics are nice, the levels are well-designed, the mechanics are solid, and it's easy to get a good grasp of it after a little bit of playing around. Really nice job, Alesan!

alesan99

Post » 21 Jul 2017, 03:57

Thanks for the feedback!
HugoBDesigner wrote:First thing I noticed was the menu music. To be fair, I think it doesn't really fit. I can't tell the melody it's playing.
Also, not sure why this level has music, when the others before didn't.
As you can probably tell I know next to nothing about making music.
I wanted every level to have their own unique theme but I soon found out that its hard to make a tune that doesn't get annoying after the 2nd loop.
I didn't want to delay the game another year so that's all I could come up with.
HugoBDesigner wrote:Another thing I noticed: the player's sprite shows through blocks when jumping.
Thats one of the side effects of turning off good graphics. I couldn't figure out a way to properly sort sprites so I used scissors and they don't work on spritebatches.
HugoBDesigner wrote:One thing that I think would be a nice addition, but nothing absolutely needed, would be an "undo" button. That'd be handy if the player makes a wrong move by accident but don't need to restart the whole level. Maybe I got spoiled by PuzzleScript, which has an undo feature by default.
I thought of this but I thought it would be better to make the player think about not making the wrong move. It was probably a bad choice, but at least wrenches are kept after resets
HugoBDesigner wrote:One thing I noticed that might have been intentional, but still looks off, is that while falling down from the jump, the player can still move up a block, which makes them "teleport" back up.
This was done on purpose to make jumps easier.
HugoBDesigner wrote:Something else I noticed is that boxes don't seem to have a "falling" animation
My 3d code is a hot mess so boxes don't move smoothly. I could go back and fix that though.
HugoBDesigner wrote:Dunno if I broke Level 4, but I never needed the yellow teleporters. In fact, I couldn't think of how to use them at all, so instead I just got the block from the green teleporter area, moved it down to the red area, and moved the 3-blocks pile between it and the highest wrench.
You did it correctly. That level went through many redesigns so I guess that was just left over.

croobos

Post » 20 Dec 2018, 17:43

this is so good. I even got to the midnight levels when it started being dark outside