Anyone interested in helping me test a game on Steam? (game keys for testers)

Feel free to showcase your own projects!
Raicuparta

Post » 21 Nov 2015, 00:29

My game got greenlit on Steam a while ago (Greenlight page here), and I should be releasing it soon. There are probably still a bunch of bugs in there, and some stuff is tricky to test. Would any of you guys be willing to help? The only payment I can spare is the Steam key, so you'll have an extra game in your library. Now, I can't really give away too many keys so I'd be thankful if you only volunteered if you know you can spare at least an hour or two testing it. The game is for Windows only. If you're interested in helping, answer here or send me a PM.

imgudman4567

Post » 21 Nov 2015, 02:38

sure, im down. looks really cool
cant download steam due to computer space. ;(\
sorry to not be able to test.
Last edited by imgudman4567 on 23 Nov 2015, 00:43, edited 1 time in total.

Technochips

Post » 21 Nov 2015, 14:14

Yeah why not! The game looks cool

Raicuparta

Post » 22 Nov 2015, 00:35

Alright! Contacted all the testers (3 for now) with the keys, thanks in advance, guys. I can still spare a few more keys, so if anyone else is interested in helping, just say so.

HugoBDesigner

Post » 22 Nov 2015, 01:57

Small visual glitch: When you pass over your own tail/body very closely (not hitting), the curve will be slightly "damaged" (http://i.imgur.com/RKIYlpX.png)

Probably intentional: despite having set the key to player 1 as "A", I can still use any other key to control him (tested 1-player only).
Once restarting a level, the game will lag just a little bit before getting to normal speed. Barely noticeable though.

Small suggestion: Maybe add some music to the game? I'm fine with it as-is, but maybe a different music could help a bit.

Will come up with more feedback or edit this post as I play along. But so far, nothing significant, this game is very well-polished and plays very smoothly!

Raicuparta

Post » 22 Nov 2015, 02:02

HugoBDesigner wrote:Small visual glitch: When you pass over your own tail/body very closely (not hitting), the curve will be slightly "damaged" (http://i.imgur.com/RKIYlpX.png)
Will likely never get fixed, unfortunately.
HugoBDesigner wrote:Probably intentional: despite having set the key to player 1 as "A", I can still use any other key to control him (tested 1-player only).
Indeed intentional, the settings are for multiplayer. That said, would you prefer to have an option to control with only one key in single player?
HugoBDesigner wrote:Small suggestion: Maybe add some music to the game? I'm fine with it as-is, but maybe a different music could help a bit.
I've always wanted to add some, but I've had a hard time finding something that fits well with the game.

Thank you for the feedback.

HugoBDesigner

Post » 22 Nov 2015, 02:09

Raicuparta wrote:Will likely never get fixed, unfortunately.
No big deal, as I said. Just me being nitpicky :P
Raicuparta wrote:Indeed intentional, the settings are for multiplayer. That said, would you prefer to have an option to control with only one key in single player?
Actually, I like it better as it is. Just wanted to make sure it was a design choice xD
Raicuparta wrote:I've always wanted to add some, but I've had a hard time finding something that fits well with the game.
There's a guy I know from Löve2D Forums who makes music for games. The songs he makes for his website are free, but you can request some musics for him (I don't know how much he charges, but I think it's worth it checking out: http://soundimage.org/ or https://love2d.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=78605 )

Raicuparta

Post » 22 Nov 2015, 02:11

HugoBDesigner wrote:There's a guy I know from Löve2D Forums who makes music for games. The songs he makes for his website are free, but you can request some musics for him (I don't know how much he charges, but I think it's worth it checking out: http://soundimage.org/ or https://love2d.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=78605 )
Huh, I've actually explored that before. I'll take another look, thanks.

HugoBDesigner

Post » 22 Nov 2015, 02:24

Another issue, whenever I try to tweet (the game freezes and I get this on Console: http://i.imgur.com/oGLuYYw.png )

Btw, should I keep posting bug reports here, or would you rather have it on GitHub?

Raicuparta

Post » 22 Nov 2015, 02:29

Oh my, it appears I have done goofed. Forgot to include an entire directory in the steam release. Luckily, this only breaks the Twitter thing. I'll try to update it now, but it may take an hour or two to get to you.

I know I said you could post the bugs over at Github, but now that I think of it, some of the bugs aren't really bugs with the code (like the one you just posted), so I'd rather you just post them here and I move them over to Gihub if necessary.

FuriousTH

Post » 22 Nov 2015, 03:36

Wow, the game looks good.
Of course!

Qwerbey

Post » 27 Nov 2015, 20:49

I would certainly like to help, but I probably can't do much 'cause I don't have a stable internet connection at the moment.

overconfidentduh

Post » 28 Nov 2015, 01:10

i would love to

Flutter Skye

Post » 29 Nov 2015, 20:06

Now, a couple of suggestions:
[*] In the level editor, there should be an option, so when you place a point, it changes to the next point. (You place point 1, and now you can immediately place point 2)
[*] Add some transitions between menus. It doesn't look very nice when you just select an option, and it immediately goes to the next menu, without a fade or anything.
I think a simple, quick fade, would make it look better.
[*] In my opinion, it would be better if you could move all the points at any time, not only when you have that point selected. Or maybe, right clicking a point changes to that point?
[*] Since there's no music during gameplay, maybe add a function for us to select a folder with music on our hard drive, and then it picks a random song each game?

Now, I would like to say that I really like this game, simple concept, but can be quite hard, and it is pretty addicting as well.
Circular Steam release when?
just kidding

Raicuparta

Post » 29 Nov 2015, 20:10

Thanks for the feedback. A lot of this stuff has been fixed, sorry about that. I need to update the steam version.

B-Man99

Post » 30 Nov 2015, 00:16

I'd love to help out!

B-Man99

Post » 02 Dec 2015, 03:43

Alright. I'm 30 minutes in. I may or may not be dead by now. Either my barely breathing self or my animated corpse will now attempt to help you out and share what I found while beta testing:
  • First thoughts:
    This is so cool! Congrats on the upcoming steam release; I'm really excited for you! The game looks great, and was a shit ton of fun to play. I'll definitely be playing more of it.
  • Favorite part:
    The gameplay is solid and managed to stay interesting. Even through the repetition I faced when screwing up on the last pieces. The art works well and I want to get back to playing this game instead of making bad jokes. That's impressive.
  • Feedback/Concerns:
    1. Well, when I first started up the game, I had one death and some random record. I hadn't played the game yet. I didn't even know what "evergrowing" was.

2. The scrolling on larger custom levels confused the hell out of me at first. I've only played levels 1 through 4 on adventure, but I was expecting a zoom-out.

3. There's no music for any other gamemodes (multiplayer, classic, custom, etc.) at the moment.
  • Questions:
    1. How are you handling music for custom levels?

2. Is there a way to resize the moving objects, in the level editor? Right now the preview of, say, the block that moves in a circle - it's a lot smaller than it actually appears once I start testing the level I'm making. I feel like I'm missing something.

3. Do you have a list of all the songs in this game? I know there's a link before each level, but it's not clickable. And I've just been chilling to the menu music while writing this - I seriously want to know what this masterpiece is. I may have fallen more in love with this song than I did the lead in whatever fucking Disney movie came out in 2008.
  • Complaints, aka ranting from a troubled player in desperation:
    1. I am going to have nightmares of space bar clicks haunting me
    I will wake up and realize I have been delusional for an hour tapping my finger on something
    I have decided that I am horrible at videogames.

2. Twitter feature when
  • SUGGESTIONS:
    1. A "snake speed" setting would be the best thing on earth for this game that isn't already there in one form or another. I don't know if that's easy or hard to implement, but I know the Snake game on my old Nokia phone had different speeds... I want to say 3 of them? And then different high scores for each. Not sure what you would have in mind.
    It would make it a lot more bearable at first for me while I'm still getting used to the concept. I've sort of not solved a level in 15 minutes.

2. Are the "classic" and "evergrowing" gamemodes going to be playable on adventure levels? I think that would be cool.

3. Since there isn't music for custom levels in whatever version I'm playing on steam right now, I thought maybe you could have a menu where you can select a track from all the tracks that are in the game? It's not exactly perfect but I couldn't come up with any better ideas. You're the game dev :P
  • Also, just wanted to say, thanks for the opportunity to have one of my songs in a game. Again. This time on steam. I'm psyched to find out how you use it. If I ever make it that far in the game. It's a really awesome opportunity to have, and my friends are looking forward to it too.
I double checked and took out the stuff other people had already noticed (Hugo's bitten snake leg, Skye's point selecting in the level editor)

Hope this helps!
Last edited by B-Man99 on 02 Dec 2015, 03:45, edited 1 time in total.

BobTheLawyer

Post » 02 Dec 2015, 03:44

This is kind of late, but I'd love to help test if you are still looking for people

B-Man99

Post » 02 Dec 2015, 03:55

Afterthought: Were the multiplayer control settings meant to include XBOX controllers and/or mouse clicks? I used both in single player without thinking about it, but when I tried to set it up so I could use them in multiplayer, things got a bit glitchy.

B-Man99

Post » 02 Dec 2015, 05:08

By any chance was this inspired by the "walk in a straight line" test cops administer to see if you are under the influence?

I was just thinking about the similarities. This also has wobbly lines, and it's equally as hard of a challenge to win.

Please don't be insulted please don't be insulted I mean this as a compliment I honestly wholeheartedly do

Raicuparta

Post » 02 Dec 2015, 12:37

B-Man99 wrote: 1. Well, when I first started up the game, I had one death and some random record. I hadn't played the game yet. I didn't even know what "evergrowing" was.
2. The scrolling on larger custom levels confused the hell out of me at first. I've only played levels 1 through 4 on adventure, but I was expecting a zoom-out.
3. There's no music for any other gamemodes (multiplayer, classic, custom, etc.) at the moment.
1. Accidentally uploaded some saves, apparently. Woops.
2. I'm hoping that introducing these things slowly with an appropriately named level in adventure mode will diminish the confusion.
3. Still not sure what I'm gonna do about that. Some people already offered to make music specifically for these modes, but they would have to be really good loops for me to include them in the modes.
B-Man99 wrote: 1. How are you handling music for custom levels?
2. Is there a way to resize the moving objects, in the level editor? Right now the preview of, say, the block that moves in a circle - it's a lot smaller than it actually appears once I start testing the level I'm making. I feel like I'm missing something.
3. Do you have a list of all the songs in this game? I know there's a link before each level, but it's not clickable. And I've just been chilling to the menu music while writing this - I seriously want to know what this masterpiece is.
1. Not sure yet. I was thinking, maybe by unlocking the adventure levels you could unlock the songs, and they would play randomly in other game modes. What do you think?
2. This has been fixed recently, probably not on Steam yet. Wait for an update.
3. I'll have a button in the pause menu of the adventure mode that opens the artist's webpage in the Steam overlay. I'll also have a "Credits" menu, with a list of everyone that did music, effects, beta testing, etc. Links will also be clickable here.

Seems like I can't actually map anything to the right mouse button for some reason. Kinda pissing me off. But the Editor is now a lot more friendly, when you place an object it automatically jumps to the next one, and you see a preview under the mouse without having to drag it around. Not even sure if that is on Steam already, if not it will be in a few hours.

Could you be more specific about the multiplayer control settings? I did set everything up so you could use an XBox Controller, yes.

And about the difficulty, hopefully we'll have better adventure levels to slowly introduce people to the mechanics. It's one of those brain click things when after a while it becomes natura, at least most people seem to think so. We're also gonna implement a checkpoint system to make it possible to have more challenging levels that don't become as frustrating.