Streaming game development: https://www.twitch.tv/stabyourself Image

Circular, almost a rhythm game but not really (Published!)

Feel free to showcase your own projects!
Raicuparta
User avatar
Posts: 533
Joined: 04 Feb 2012, 02:07
Reputation: 27
Contact:

Post » 01 Aug 2014, 01:16

Update again!
The game has been published on Kongregate, right here, click it, click it now!
This version lets you submit your score to the score board if you're logged in to Kongregate. Give it a shot!

Beta thread:
Update: The Android beta version for Circular is available now. If you wanna help me test this game, join this Google+ community and then follow the instructions on this page. If you don't like Google+, which is understandable, and want the .apk, send me a PM.

Play the Web version of Circular here here. Use mouse left click, nothing else (optimized for touch screens).

Original thread:
I'm making this nifty* rhythm game:
Link because the fucking youtube thing doesn't work

Right now I have I'm using two songs from incompetech.com, one made by this swell* guy LPChip (he was one of the composers responsible Knytt Underground's soundtrack), and two other tracks by some other dude from around the Internet. Also already have a buddy of mine working on at least one extra piece. That's like 6 levels already, 3 of them with original tracks, which is pretty cool.

Anyway, was wondering if any of you guys are composers or know any composers that have made music suitable for games like this (watch the video for reference) and are willing to provide it. Don't need it to be composed specifically for the game, just something you have around and want to share. In the level select screen, the name/nickname of the composer would be visible, and there would be a link to whatever they wish (twitter, personal website, etc).
Last edited by Raicuparta on 14 Aug 2014, 16:05, edited 3 times in total.

B-Man99
So long, and thanks for all the fish.
Posts: 1922
Joined: 02 Jul 2012, 00:32
Reputation: 418
Contact:

Post » 01 Aug 2014, 02:01

I'd be interested! :D
https://chainreactionmusic.bandcamp.com/ Here's my released stuff
https://soundcloud.com/chain-reaction-m ... vivi-remix this isn't finished but it's pretty cool
I don't know exactly what you're looking for but the game does look great so far.

Raicuparta
User avatar
Posts: 533
Joined: 04 Feb 2012, 02:07
Reputation: 27
Contact:

Post » 01 Aug 2014, 10:40

I really like Vivi Remix and Purpose, would love to have those in the game. Any chance at all you could ever make a version of them that loops? If it's too hard or too much work right now then its OK, but it would just sound better in the game.

B-Man99
So long, and thanks for all the fish.
Posts: 1922
Joined: 02 Jul 2012, 00:32
Reputation: 418
Contact:

Post » 01 Aug 2014, 15:45

Of course I could do that! Should be fairly easy once I have access to a computer, which I don't until tomorrow, so I'll stay in touch about it. Thanks!

Raicuparta
User avatar
Posts: 533
Joined: 04 Feb 2012, 02:07
Reputation: 27
Contact:

Post » 10 Aug 2014, 08:54

The game now features B-Man's "Vivi - Remix" as the soundtrack for the hardest level in it, and you can play it now. The levels themselves aren't finished yet, but it's already very playable.

Image
The Android beta version for Circular is available now. If you wanna help me test this game, join this Google+ community and then follow the instructions on this page. If you don't like Google+, which is understandable, and want the .apk, send me a PM.

Play the Web version of Circular here here. Use mouse left click, nothing else (optimized for touch screens).

Sergione
Posts: 217
Joined: 07 May 2014, 16:02
Reputation: 4
Contact:

Post » 10 Aug 2014, 11:33

Wow if this game is hard! o_O

Very difficult, but at the same time cute, can't wait to see the full version which has surprises! ;)

Raicuparta
User avatar
Posts: 533
Joined: 04 Feb 2012, 02:07
Reputation: 27
Contact:

Post » 10 Aug 2014, 11:47

Are you saying that from the video or from playing it? Did you find the easiest difficulty too hard? It's hard for me to tell because of how much time I spent playing this.

Sergione
Posts: 217
Joined: 07 May 2014, 16:02
Reputation: 4
Contact:

Post » 10 Aug 2014, 12:14

Raicuparta wrote:Are you saying that from the video or from playing it?

The game itself, not the video!

Raicuparta wrote:Did you find the easiest difficulty too hard? It's hard for me to tell because of how much time I spent playing this.

No, don't worry, the Easy difficulty is pretty easy, the other they are, just that it takes a bit of practice to get a decent score in hard mode

Raicuparta
User avatar
Posts: 533
Joined: 04 Feb 2012, 02:07
Reputation: 27
Contact:

Post » 10 Aug 2014, 12:18

Cool, that's what I'm going for, want a challenging game but don't want people to feel immediately defeated as they start playing.
Thanks for playing.

Flutter Skye
User avatar
Posts: 1718
Joined: 08 Apr 2012, 17:54
Reputation: 789
Contact:

Post » 10 Aug 2014, 13:13

This is a awesome game, and pretty challenging too. Will there be more music added later?
Here are my scores, by the way:

Raicuparta
User avatar
Posts: 533
Joined: 04 Feb 2012, 02:07
Reputation: 27
Contact:

Post » 10 Aug 2014, 14:51

Flutter Skye wrote:Will there be more music added later?

If this gets any attention when I release it, yeah. I already have a couple more songs by the people who made the ones already in the game, and some other people that have shown interest in making songs, so it shouldn't be hard. I still have to figure out exactly how I'm going to distinguish each level based on the song, besides having the difference in speed. Otherwise just cramming more levels in there would be pointless. I'll probable have enemies that behave differently in each level and stuff like that.
Do you have an idea of how many attempts it took you to get those scores?

Flutter Skye
User avatar
Posts: 1718
Joined: 08 Apr 2012, 17:54
Reputation: 789
Contact:

Post » 10 Aug 2014, 15:17

Well, for "Why" it took me about 40 minutes, the rest I did on my first or second try.

B-Man99
So long, and thanks for all the fish.
Posts: 1922
Joined: 02 Jul 2012, 00:32
Reputation: 418
Contact:

Post » 10 Aug 2014, 15:18

Damn this is fun

I love it all. The gameplay is really neat; you nailed the level design and music choices (I haven't even tried "Why" yet so no I don't mean because you chose one of mine). The art is spectacularly fitting too. All around a great game that I'm looking forward to playing more of. Congrats on the beta release, and thank you again for letting me be a part of it!

Also I don't know if this is supposed to happen... When I first start a level it plays the song from the beginning, but every time after that it starts from the same point midway through the song.

Example being that I now have Vivi from 2:00 to 2:10 stuck in my head. But just that. Because I can't get any farther in freakin Why mode.

10/10 not going to bother posting my scores because Skye is better than me

Raicuparta
User avatar
Posts: 533
Joined: 04 Feb 2012, 02:07
Reputation: 27
Contact:

Post » 10 Aug 2014, 15:29

B-Man99 wrote:Also I don't know if this is supposed to happen... When I first start a level it plays the song from the beginning, but every time after that it starts from the same point midway through the song.
It's supposed to continue from where you died last time, shouldn't start from the same part every time. I think I had that bug happen to me once... might have something to do with the way I tried to make the song play at a time that makes it stay in sync with the rest of the game.

So judging by your post I'd say for you it would make more sense to have the song continue from where you left off, right? I've had different opinions on this and am not sure how to do it. I've been told that having the song start at the begging gives you a better sense of how much you progressed, but other people say listening to the same part over and over is annoying. If anyone else would like to give their opinion on this, that'd be cool.

Shank
User avatar
Posts: 226
Joined: 24 Feb 2013, 04:17
Reputation: 4
Contact:

Post » 10 Aug 2014, 20:35

I like it a lot, good music, good game. That's one for the bookmarks.

Vakema123
User avatar
Posts: 423
Joined: 26 Jan 2014, 21:24
Reputation: 124

Post » 11 Aug 2014, 17:45

I think it would be best to just have it continue. You can always compare score to see how far you got.

LightningFire
User avatar
Posts: 1907
Joined: 10 Mar 2012, 17:24
Reputation: 134
Contact:

Post » 11 Aug 2014, 21:05

Are you planning on making an iOS version anytime soon?
I really want to check the game out, and all I've got is an iPad.

Raicuparta
User avatar
Posts: 533
Joined: 04 Feb 2012, 02:07
Reputation: 27
Contact:

Post » 11 Aug 2014, 23:19

LightningFire wrote:Are you planning on making an iOS version anytime soon?
I really want to check the game out, and all I've got is an iPad.

Try the web version on the iPad browser and tell me how it runs. The music will probably not play right, but tell me how it is performance-wise. I won't release an iOS version any time soon, I'm actually not even sure if I'll release the Android version for now, because it run poorly on most devices. Maybe I should focus on the Web/Desktop version for now, and try to find another engine to do the mobile versions, because HTML5 on mobile is too unpredictable right now.

LightningFire
User avatar
Posts: 1907
Joined: 10 Mar 2012, 17:24
Reputation: 134
Contact:

Post » 11 Aug 2014, 23:36

Surprisingly, it actually ran.
The music works fine, the only problem is the performance, which looks like it runs at 20 fps. Still playable though.
In my opinion, it would go great on iOS, pretty much like in Android.
Pretty nice game anyways.

Raicuparta
User avatar
Posts: 533
Joined: 04 Feb 2012, 02:07
Reputation: 27
Contact:

Post » 11 Aug 2014, 23:40

Yeah, it's a one touch game, made for touch screens, so would be great if I could get it to work on Android, iOS and Windows 8 devices.

Raicuparta
User avatar
Posts: 533
Joined: 04 Feb 2012, 02:07
Reputation: 27
Contact:

Post » 13 Aug 2014, 04:32

Well crap. Giving up on porting this to Android with shitty wrappers, I'll release a web version first on Kongregate and maybe Newgrounds and if people don't hate 100% of it I'll make a proper Android/iOS version.
I'm working on making the scores save on Kongregate, if anyone has an account and wants to test, click this long-ass link.
http://www.kongregate.com/games/Raicupa ... 268ab55b4a
Tell me if something happens or if your computer explodes in a big fiery ball visible from space.
Oh and I'm not sure how the window size for the game works in that page, does it look alright?

B-Man99
So long, and thanks for all the fish.
Posts: 1922
Joined: 02 Jul 2012, 00:32
Reputation: 418
Contact:

Post » 13 Aug 2014, 05:05

Are the URLs to the artist webpages going to be clickable? That would be a really nice feature.
For the record this is only partially because of my craving for promotion; I misspelled incompetech twice when typing that in

Raicuparta wrote:if people don't hate 100% of it I'll make a proper Android/iOS version.

I would love an iOS version. I bring my iPod places (as opposed to my desktop computer) so this doubles my ability of promoting this hella groovy game I'm proud of being a part of.

Plus for some reason there are quite a few people I have the displeasure of knowing who would definitely play a mobile version of it, whereas only a web version might lower the chances of them trying it out

Raicuparta wrote:
Flutter Skye wrote:Will there be more music added later?

If this gets any attention when I release it, yeah. I already have a couple more songs by the people who made the ones already in the game, and some other people that have shown interest in making songs, so it shouldn't be hard. I still have to figure out exactly how I'm going to distinguish each level based on the song, besides having the difference in speed. Otherwise just cramming more levels in there would be pointless. I'll probable have enemies that behave differently in each level and stuff like that.

YES PLEASE
HELL YES
WE WANT MORE
YOU MUST NOT DISAPPOINT YOUR WILD SUPPORTIVE EXCITED CRAVING FANBASE

B-Man99
So long, and thanks for all the fish.
Posts: 1922
Joined: 02 Jul 2012, 00:32
Reputation: 418
Contact:

Post » 13 Aug 2014, 05:19

Raicuparta wrote:I'm working on making the scores save on Kongregate, if anyone has an account and wants to test, click this long-ass link.
http://www.kongregate.com/games/Raicupa ... 268ab55b4a
Tell me if something happens or if your computer explodes in a big fiery ball visible from space.
Oh and I'm not sure how the window size for the game works in that page, does it look alright?

I'm not sure why but the Kongregate version doesn't feel completely right for me. I don't know exactly what's happening but the ship doesn't feel exactly like it does on the bravebunny.co version. Either way I know I'm getting lesser scores on kongregate than I am on bravebunny. Also you had the music set up to continue where you left off but now it's starting from the beginning?

If these are just tweaks then that's okay I'm just making sure they're intentional

Raicuparta
User avatar
Posts: 533
Joined: 04 Feb 2012, 02:07
Reputation: 27
Contact:

Post » 13 Aug 2014, 05:26

Sure, having more versions will bring more people in, especially in a game that was obviously designed to be portable. It will just not be available for a long time, a couple months at the very least.
And yeah, URL's will be clickable in the final version. I was thinking about having a button for each composer that shows a small popup with some info and multiple links.

About the differences in the game:
Probably because the ship gets smaller now when you're in the inner orbit. This wasn't supposed to happen at first, happened as a side effect to a performance fix. But I kept it as I think it looks nice and fixed something that annoyed me a bit: before, when you were in the inner orbit, the ship seemed to move slower (because it did). Now, because the ship is smaller, it seems to be moving at the same speed.
Also, before there was a slight animation, an angle change when the ship was going up or down, which probably made it feel better. Also gone as a side effect of the same fix. I'm working on improving that.

EDIT: Oh and the song starting at the beginning is temporary. It will change soon.

Raicuparta
User avatar
Posts: 533
Joined: 04 Feb 2012, 02:07
Reputation: 27
Contact:

Post » 14 Aug 2014, 16:05

The game has been published on Kongregate, right here, click it, click it now!
This version lets you submit your score to the score board if you're logged in to Kongregate. Give it a shot!
It is still not final, I'll keep updating the game.

Flutter Skye
User avatar
Posts: 1718
Joined: 08 Apr 2012, 17:54
Reputation: 789
Contact:

Post » 14 Aug 2014, 22:38

Awesome, I can't stop playing it.
I found a bug though.

Sometimes that happens. And sometimes it has like 4 enemies in the inner and outer orbit.
Also, how in the world do I get beats? Also something is not right for me, no one has more than 1000 beats, yet they can play Why. How is that possible?
Last edited by Flutter Skye on 14 Aug 2014, 22:45, edited 1 time in total.

B-Man99
So long, and thanks for all the fish.
Posts: 1922
Joined: 02 Jul 2012, 00:32
Reputation: 418
Contact:

Post » 14 Aug 2014, 22:44

That's happened to me too.

And thanks for the response Raicuparta I actually spelled that right without looking first try wow

Raicuparta
User avatar
Posts: 533
Joined: 04 Feb 2012, 02:07
Reputation: 27
Contact:

Post » 14 Aug 2014, 23:06

God fucking damn it guys shit piss cunt
Ok now that that's out of the way, why can't I seem to reproduce these game breaking bugs no matter how hard I try? Did the framerate appear low when they happened? I'll do my best to prevent stuff like this, thanks.
As for why people are able to play Why, they played it before I implemented unlockable levels, they used to all be accessible.

BTW the Konami code is in this. Every time there's a game breaking bug that ruins your score, do the Konami code to release the accumulated stress.

B-Man99
So long, and thanks for all the fish.
Posts: 1922
Joined: 02 Jul 2012, 00:32
Reputation: 418
Contact:

Post » 14 Aug 2014, 23:40

Hitting a spikey in training mode gives you ten points.

Also the Konami code did nothing for me...

Raicuparta
User avatar
Posts: 533
Joined: 04 Feb 2012, 02:07
Reputation: 27
Contact:

Post » 15 Aug 2014, 00:01

Don't remember how it was in Mari0, but here the Enter/Return key is Start. So: Up Up Down Down Left Right Left Right B A Return, anywhere in the game, should do something. Doesn't even have to be fast, as long as you don't press anything in between.

Training mode is a placeholder for a Tutorial mode that will be included in the future, with an original composition too! The score doesn't matter and doesn't count to the total beat count.

B-Man99
So long, and thanks for all the fish.
Posts: 1922
Joined: 02 Jul 2012, 00:32
Reputation: 418
Contact:

Post » 15 Aug 2014, 00:04

Yeah the Konami Code doesn't traditionally/usually have the enter key; it ends on (A)

Raicuparta
User avatar
Posts: 533
Joined: 04 Feb 2012, 02:07
Reputation: 27
Contact:

Post » 15 Aug 2014, 00:06

That's not true

EDIT: Misread, though you were talking about the Start button. Not sure how often replacements for Start are used, but I've seen it before.

B-Man99
So long, and thanks for all the fish.
Posts: 1922
Joined: 02 Jul 2012, 00:32
Reputation: 418
Contact:

Post » 15 Aug 2014, 00:12

Really? I've never seen it like that before. Good to know. Now I have to go and retry all the games I thought didn't have a Konami Code :P

Also congrats on the original composition. Sounds good to me!

Mari0Maker
User avatar
Posts: 1347
Joined: 07 Apr 2012, 17:10
Reputation: 39
Contact:

Post » 15 Aug 2014, 04:38


TurretBot
User avatar
Posts: 4686
Joined: 15 Mar 2012, 23:18
Reputation: 719
Contact:

Post » 15 Aug 2014, 13:47

For whatever reason game has a really bad fps when my browser window takes up the whole screen
Probably becuase the game resizes to fit the screen or something

Anyway fun/hard game

Wary
User avatar
Posts: 638
Joined: 03 Jun 2012, 14:30
Reputation: 57

Post » 15 Aug 2014, 21:50


Raicuparta
User avatar
Posts: 533
Joined: 04 Feb 2012, 02:07
Reputation: 27
Contact:

Post » 15 Aug 2014, 21:54

WaryLouka wrote:Celestial Ambrosia

Well. Did you make that? Are you offering to have it used in the game? It sounds cool, I like it.

Wary
User avatar
Posts: 638
Joined: 03 Jun 2012, 14:30
Reputation: 57

Post » 15 Aug 2014, 21:57

Raicuparta wrote:
WaryLouka wrote:Celestial Ambrosia

Well. Did you make that? Are you offering to have it used in the game? It sounds cool, I like it.


Use it for your game, I don't care. I'm not the official Comcast Licensing Company or some shit.
Credit me if you wish.

Raicuparta
User avatar
Posts: 533
Joined: 04 Feb 2012, 02:07
Reputation: 27
Contact:

Post » 16 Aug 2014, 01:10

I'll assume you're the compositor, from your cryptic posts then. I'll save it for if I ever make more levels.

B-Man99
So long, and thanks for all the fish.
Posts: 1922
Joined: 02 Jul 2012, 00:32
Reputation: 418
Contact:

Post » 16 Aug 2014, 04:17

Raicuparta wrote:compositor

*cringes*
...
autocorrect...is that you?

Raicuparta
User avatar
Posts: 533
Joined: 04 Feb 2012, 02:07
Reputation: 27
Contact:

Post » 16 Aug 2014, 04:29

B-Man99 wrote:
Raicuparta wrote:compositor

*cringes*
...
autocorrect...is that you?

Yeah, it's composer in Portuguese so it's understandable. I'm leaving it in hopes it will be adopted by the English language and one day we Portuguese people have one less word to worry about translating.

B-Man99
So long, and thanks for all the fish.
Posts: 1922
Joined: 02 Jul 2012, 00:32
Reputation: 418
Contact:

Post » 17 Aug 2014, 02:11

Please for the love of god make the beat count unlock smaller

...
This is a ploy to get me to have an unprecedented evil playtime isn't it

Raicuparta
User avatar
Posts: 533
Joined: 04 Feb 2012, 02:07
Reputation: 27
Contact:

Post » 17 Aug 2014, 02:19

Well. Yes.
But if you, who have a lot more motivation to playing this than the average player (since you're part of it), think it is too much, then it probably really is too much. There will be a bunch of changes in the next version. I'm not really setting the quality bar too high on the web version, it is being used more as a test to see what works and what isn't. Hopefully when I start working on the mobile version I'll have all these kinks figured out.

B-Man99
So long, and thanks for all the fish.
Posts: 1922
Joined: 02 Jul 2012, 00:32
Reputation: 418
Contact:

Post » 18 Aug 2014, 01:07

Thanks again for letting me be a part of this. It's definitely a good game, plus it's exciting to know all of the potential exposure
I mean sure almost no one can unlock the level with my music in it, but -
Wait
That's actually it. That's all I was saying.
...
Note to self: Allegro tempos not always best submissions to rhythm games

I'm kidding. Keep up the good work, because this is definitely good work and deserves to be kept up

Raicuparta
User avatar
Posts: 533
Joined: 04 Feb 2012, 02:07
Reputation: 27
Contact:

Post » 18 Aug 2014, 01:14

Honestly hadn't thought of it that way, It's a legitimate concern. Besides making it easier to get to that level, I'll be sure to make it possible to see/ click the author link before unlocking it.I might also play a short preview of the selected level's song (like the Guitar Hero games), even before unlocking it. Hopefully that will make people more eager to reaching that level. It's easy to see that either the game isn't that appealing, or it is too hard, because very few people have score in the last level, even though a lot of people have decent scores in the first one.
I'm really glad you had a song with a beat that fast, made it a lot easier for me to define the difficulty of the levels, otherwise I'd have to actually be a decent game designer and come up with a better way to balance the difficulty.

B-Man99
So long, and thanks for all the fish.
Posts: 1922
Joined: 02 Jul 2012, 00:32
Reputation: 418
Contact:

Post » 18 Aug 2014, 01:40

:D

The game is very appealing, I honestly think the only reason so few people (of whom I am not one of) have reached "Why mode" is because of the insane difficulty. I've been going at it for over a week now... I think Skye is just the supreme Circular player

Any idea what's up with the score of 1000+ on Normal mode?

Raicuparta
User avatar
Posts: 533
Joined: 04 Feb 2012, 02:07
Reputation: 27
Contact:

Post » 18 Aug 2014, 01:47

Probably that one awesome bug that some times happens, even though I have never been able to reproduce it, that lets people get an infinite amount of beats because the monsters don't spawn.

B-Man99
So long, and thanks for all the fish.
Posts: 1922
Joined: 02 Jul 2012, 00:32
Reputation: 418
Contact:

Post » 18 Aug 2014, 04:54

Okay. At first I was thinking for the past few days that I was just randomly missing something, but for some reason when the counter is about to change from, say, 2x to 3x, and I collect a coin, it acts as if I missed the coin and sets the multiplier back to 1x...


Return to “Game development”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron