Pokemon thing (overworld only)

Feel free to showcase your own projects!
alesan99

Post » 23 Feb 2014, 06:00

I'm making this pokemon game so anybody can create their own pokemon adventure.
I won't make gen 1 games completely recreateable because that'd be WAY too much work.
Keep in mind I made all of this in about 12 hours.

Features
  • edit Red's room
  • save it by pressing "3"
  • increase window size with "1"
  • decrease window size with "2"
  • move with arrow keys or wasd
  • add custom tilesets by putting "tiles.png" in "LOVE/pokemon/maps"
  • add custom characters by putting "[player name].png" in "LOVE/pokemon/characters"
  • select player by making a .txt file named "char" in "LOVE/pokemon/characters", the .txt should have the character you want to play as
Screenshots
ImageImage
Download
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ei79nocgydskv ... on_v2.love
Last edited by alesan99 on 23 Feb 2014, 23:43, edited 2 times in total.

Mari0Maker

Post » 23 Feb 2014, 06:14

This is actually really cool! Nice job on this, Alesan! I'm looking forward to see what becomes of it.

B-Man99

Post » 23 Feb 2014, 17:49

I know close to nothing about Pokemon but judging by what I see, what you said, and the fact that it was made by the one and only alesan99 in 12 hours I'd say this is pretty darn awesome.
Nice job! :)
I'd give feedback but it's Pokemon and more than half of this stuff goes over my head anyway.

alesan99

Post » 23 Feb 2014, 18:31

Thanks guys!

Anyway I added screenshots.

idiot9.0

Post » 23 Feb 2014, 20:56

Downloaded this after seeing screenshots. All I have to say is it's a good start. Not much to do other than mess with how it looks but again, it's a good start and a great basis for anyone who wants to make a Pokemon clone. Hopefully you expand on this and at least make the base for how battles lay out too.

alesan99

Post » 23 Feb 2014, 23:43

Updated

Tweaked a few things
Characters and custom tilesets work now
To select a character go to the options and select "CHARACTER"
Added music

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ei79nocgydskv ... on_v2.love

Mr.Q.Marx?

Post » 24 Feb 2014, 02:07

Very cool, you thought of how to link the stairs yet?
EDIT: I mean how the GUI would look. I imagine it as a separate screen
Made bomberman

0>0

Post » 24 Feb 2014, 14:08

WHAT IS THIS GAME

Automatik

Post » 24 Feb 2014, 14:45

Hey, that's something cool!
Here's some tips:

Code: Select all

function setgamestate(state)
	if state == "mainmenu" then
		mainmenu.load()
	elseif state == "overworld" then
		overworld.load()
	end
	gamestate = state
end
This is gonna get repetitive if you add more gamestates. I think you should do:

function setgamestate(state,...)
	if _G[state] then
		_G[state].load(...)
	end
	gamestate = state
end
(And then you should also change the other callbacks in main.lua)
That way you can add more gamestates easily.
Also note how I added an "..." parameter in the function. "..." is the remainder of the arguments. That way you could call setgamestate("overworld","map123.txt") and overworld.load will get "map123.txt" as a parameter.
---

font = love.graphics.newImage("graphics/font.png")
	fontchars = "ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz0123456789.!?,' "
	fontquads = {}
	for x = 1, string.len(fontchars) do
		fontquads[string.sub(fontchars, x, x)] = love.graphics.newQuad(7*(x-1), 0, 7, 8, font:getWidth(), 8)
	end
You should use love.graphics.newImageFont, Imo. Sure, you have to change the font to adapt it to the newImageFont format, but it's worth it: you can use love.graphics.print() and love.graphics.printf() (which is better than your printp function, since your might cut the words in half) directly, it's faster(Because l.g.print is optimized), and it take less code.
Fyi, a font formatted for l.g.newImageFont look like this : Image
---
textbox.lua :

--border
	love.graphics.setColor(0, 0, 0)
	love.graphics.rectangle("fill", (self.x+8)*scale, (self.y+2)*scale, (self.width-8)*scale, scale)
	love.graphics.rectangle("fill", (self.x+8)*scale, (self.y+4)*scale, (self.width-8)*scale, 2*scale)
	love.graphics.rectangle("fill", (self.x+8)*scale, ((self.y+self.height)-6)*scale, (self.width-8)*scale, scale)
	love.graphics.rectangle("fill", (self.x+8)*scale, ((self.y+self.height)-4)*scale, (self.width-8)*scale, 2*scale)
	love.graphics.rectangle("fill", (self.x+2)*scale, (self.y+8)*scale, scale, (self.height-8)*scale)
	love.graphics.rectangle("fill", (self.x+4)*scale, (self.y+8)*scale, scale, (self.height-8)*scale)
	love.graphics.rectangle("fill", ((self.x+self.width)-4)*scale, (self.y+8)*scale, scale, (self.height-8)*scale)
	love.graphics.rectangle("fill", ((self.x+self.width)-6)*scale, (self.y+8)*scale, scale, (self.height-8)*scale)
You might want draw the borders using an image. That way, they will be customizable.
---
You could save and load the maps using JSON. That way, you don't have to create your own format.
---
Here's the source of Stabbymon : https://www.dropbox.com/s/xkf7pacc8x5eu ... n-last.zip
I hope it will be useful. Note about menusystem.lua : With it, you can make complex menus like the "select pokemon menu". It don't do the drawing part, though.
Also, when you will do the pokemon system, since your goal is to permit anyone to create their own pokemon adventure, I think creating pokemon should be as easy as possible. Like, you shouldn't even touch code.

alesan99

Post » 24 Feb 2014, 15:40

Automatik wrote:Hey, that's something cool!
Here's some tips:
1. Thanks, I don't think I'll add many more gamestates though (I'm only going to add battle)
2. Making them not cut is on my todo. I might use newImageFont.
3. I guess I'll make it customizable once I add custom graphics.
4. I already finished the saving and loading maps system, there's nothing wrong with it is there?
5. I'd rather make this game by myself so I'm familiar with my code and so I could brag that I made this all by myself
6. I will use .JSON for custom pokemon. I'll make creating pokemon as simple as possible (I chose gen 1 so I won't have to add all the complicated pokemon stuff).
0>0 wrote:WHAT IS THIS GAME
Should have said this before, tiles can be side by side with no spaces. properties are placed below the tile.

Rehnrald

Post » 25 Feb 2014, 09:33

This looks great, I hope you continue to work on it!

MM102

Post » 03 Mar 2014, 03:51

*sigh* so how long until someone makes a TPP fangame?

alesan99

Post » 03 Mar 2014, 03:59

MM102 wrote:*sigh* so how long until someone makes a TPP fangame?
Confirmed: next update will have online play with up to 9,999,999 players NOTE: only one controllable character

Camewel

Post » 03 Mar 2014, 10:59

MM102 wrote:*sigh* so how long until someone makes a TPP fangame?
I hear some random company called nintendo made a really cool one it's called "pokemon red" and you get to play exactly the game they played in TPP!!

alesan99

Post » 06 Mar 2014, 02:55

alesan99 on the LOVE2D Forums wrote:... here's some progress on my pokemon clone. There are now battles!
Still haven't done the actual battle mechanics (I always work on the minor stuff before the major things for some reason).

Mari0Maker

Post » 06 Mar 2014, 04:10

This is looks absolutely amazing, Alesan. Keep up the good work! :D

croobos

Post » 07 Sep 2018, 13:54

alesan99 wrote:
Automatik wrote:Hey, that's something cool!
Here's some tips:
1. Thanks, I don't think I'll add many more gamestates though (I'm only going to add battle)
2. Making them not cut is on my todo. I might use newImageFont.
3. I guess I'll make it customizable once I add custom graphics.
4. I already finished the saving and loading maps system, there's nothing wrong with it is there?
5. I'd rather make this game by myself so I'm familiar with my code and so I could brag that I made this all by myself
6. I will use .JSON for custom pokemon. I'll make creating pokemon as simple as possible (I chose gen 1 so I won't have to add all the complicated pokemon stuff).
0>0 wrote:WHAT IS THIS GAME
Should have said this before, tiles can be side by side with no spaces. properties are placed below the tile.
which property bolongs where?