[WIP] [GM8] [Fangame] Mysterious Islandz

Feel free to showcase your own projects!
StrikeForcer

Post » 17 Feb 2014, 05:53

Copy-pasted from Joey's SMBX Forum: http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... =51&t=1095

What is this game?: Mysterious Islandz is a fangame made in Game Maker 8.0. There are 9 Worlds in total, but they are under construction.

World Themes: (Worlds 6-7 subject to change)
World 1: Grassy Forestial Island (Grass/Forest)
World 2: The Pipeline Dome Island(Grass/Pipeline)
World 3: Desert Ruins Island(Desert laden with temples, quicksand-sunken monuments, ruined structures)
World 4: Icic Island (Cold World)
World 5: Elevated Heights Island(Variety of High Altitudes, most of it has Mushroom Platforms, SMB1 "Tree tiles")
World 6: Obscuria (or Super Mario Bros. Special Island, name pending)(Uses Super Mario Bros Special GFX from NEC)
World 7: Strange Island (based off Strange Mario Bros. series by acmlm, the creator) (Weird, 8-bit)
World 8: Ambient Pennisula Island (Jungle/Beach/Water)
World 9: Barren Core Island (Wasteland/Volcanic/Military)

Difficulty: Hard (not recommended for beginners man. Its recommened to those who played ROM-hacks of SMB and SMW. Official game-wise, those who beat SMB2 and Super Luigi U.)

Story: To be constructed

Screenshots:
World 1 Updates (Rebalaning world difficulty is 80% done. I do not feel like overhauling entire sections.)

Levels with tileset and/or background graphics made by me: (Some of it mixed with ripped and or edited content)

Media: From top to bottom (newest to oldest)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZDDd6YwQxg (World 9-3 Preview)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAfbQe87xy0 (World 1-Castle Preview)

Downloads: http://www.sendspace.com/file/9mufcl (2-2-2014: World 1 rebalanced)
http://www.sendspace.com/file/thsjhn (1.1, fixed a progression issue with 1-2. DL the above link first then replace the exe of that link with this one, given if you have a folder for the game already).

Events In which Mysterious Islandz is featured:
- Featured on NCFC 2012 and NCFC 2013
- Some award given on MFGG, Mysterious Islandz won an award for Best Level Design 2013: http://forums.mfgg.net/viewtopic.php?f= ... 5&start=60

What to expect in the next release:
- May redesign more levels or scrap them altogether.
- A possible 3 World Demo.
- More original graphics made by me.
- Custom enemies. (Appeared in SMW hacks or be made by me.)
- Panel Cutscenes.

Constructive comments, concerns, and criticisms are appreciated. I am open to listen to what you have to say, but I reserve the right to deny suggestions and concerns if I see fit to.

renhoek

Post » 17 Feb 2014, 08:04

Sweet something I'm more familiar with, I'm trying this as I'm writing this post so I'll be writing my response after each level. (also in your 9-3 video at 1:21 there's a crouch jump, you should really replace that as that's more of an annoyance then a challenge but I'm liking the style)

1-1
- A bit slippery, very first death was the equivalent to a parked car. A pirahna plant.
- Second death - Tried to land on a goomba
- I tried to collect the first A coin and after spin jumping a few times I was finally able to break the block and get it.
- Got a starman the music for it overlapped the stage music, ran into a wall. jumped and was partially stuck, popped out and then fell into the hole... May want to fix that.
- for some reason the music's not playing.
- I tried to jump over a pit but hit my head even though I should have made the jump.
- just found out you have two starmen music overlapping each other.
- upon restart I got the ace coin and the text was the wrong way around.

Just beat the level on my last life. So far it wasn't so bad. But most of my deaths came from the physics rather than the level.

1-2
bit of a tip here move the starting view down so that the foreground doesn't cover the title card.
- first issue if you're in an un winnable situation you should be provided a reset pipe or a re spawn able throw able.
- landed next to a pipe, jumped and then the universe erased mario...
At this point mario turns down and right on the map.
- Tried to get through the secret passage hit the second wall of blocks behind the tree, jumped and then I was suddenly back to where I got the spring.
- Game Over -
- found out about save state and load state. Music doesn't play on load and the skid sound loops when paused. I'll be using this for the sake of my responce and I won't have to replay back to where I was. (remove this before the game get's let's played!)
- died on my way because the universe didn't want mario to win again.
- you can crouch slide into everything.
- I'm stuck trying to go past the upside down cannon as big mario.
- There's a leap of faith around the middle of the level.
- you can't stand up if you hold left or right and not down if you were crouching.
- I kicked a blue brick right through some regular bricks.
- I feel like this level's 5 times larger than level 1
- I've died like 50 times now my optimism isn't as high as it was going in, hopefully by 1-3 my experience will get better.
- Sometimes I can't break blocks while crouching.
- this is how I die most of the time... Image
- landed right on top of a goomba, still got hurt.
- I finally hit the checkpoint!... Why is it in a hard to reach place?
- 30 deaths later - You're shitting me. Image (side note started SA2 Green forest since the music's driving me insane)
- I finally made it. I'm really tired now and this was insane compared to the first level.

1-3
- http://i.imgur.com/QjPXBl4.png
- I had no problems with this level... I'm going to do 1-4 and that's going to be my last level. (aside from the hard to reach checkpoint)

1-4
- fell through the ground after a lucky jump, I'm done.

After what I've played I don't have much enthusiasm to continue (especially nine worlds of it damn) but I will give you this the level design was great but a bit iffy in a few segments. Plus most of the deaths that came to me were from shoddy programming but from what I played I really enjoyed 1-1 and 1-3 but you've got to work on your difficulty spike, if I didn't abuse save states on the map I would've given up ages ago.

I'd give what I've played a 8/10 it's really fun, but the second level and some programming errors hold this from being a really good game.

Doormat

Post » 17 Feb 2014, 15:06

judging by the screenshots this looks like it was lazily made in hello engine with little to no graphic changes

Camewel

Post » 17 Feb 2014, 15:17

renhoek wrote:1-4
renhoek wrote:I'd give what I've played a 8/10.
jesus standards are low

StrikeForcer

Post » 17 Feb 2014, 16:14

Doormat wrote:judging by the screenshots this looks like it was lazily made in hello engine with little to no graphic changes
Wow, man, you really do not read the description when you play the game and press "F1", do you?

As for renhoek, I am well aware of the engine glitches present in my game. I do resolve to fix them in future updates. As for the 'save state, load state" thing. Game Maker has it built-in, not just the engine being used. Its not required to use for completion. Also, because I assume my target audience have played SMB and SMW hacks already, I built around those levels to that demographic in mind. That's another reason why you achieved so many deaths, and why World 1 itself has a difficulty spike, though I still am working on editing further to reduce the difficulty further as it does not justify certain aspects. And as for 1-2, I wanted players to be aware that they have to conserve the amount of Blue Bricks used to bash enemies and break through barriers. (There are message blocks telling you this.)

renhoek

Post » 17 Feb 2014, 16:20

Camewel wrote:
jesus standards are low
It's a good game it was a common glitch nothing to do with the level it's just I was so tired after level two.

Though now I may have written it a bit differently since I did start to drool on my 80th death.

StrikeForcer

Post » 17 Feb 2014, 16:21

renhoek wrote:
Camewel wrote:
jesus standards are low
It's a good game it was a common glitch nothing to do with the level it's just I was so tired after level two.

Though now I may have written it a bit differently since I did start to drool on my 80th death.
Whatever the case if you were sane or not, thanks for the criticism, as I needed it.