Scrappers

Feel free to showcase your own projects!
Jorichi

Post » 14 Apr 2013, 13:50

Quite a while back I started spriting out of boredom from a setback in my studies in 3D modeling. I had an idea for a game that could be quite addictive if executed properly. But knowing I couldn't code, I just kept it at spriting for it. I wanted to draw enough sprites so a coder could attempt to create the basic engine of it if they wanted.
Sadly I didn't came that far. However, I still think this could be a great game if someone else is willing to take it over.

Here is the sprite sheet I had:
There is a lot of unfinished stuff in there...
Let me break everything down for you to make try and give you an idea of what I have in mind.
Gameplay:
As you might have noticed it's an isometric game. But it isn't turn-based or fixed-to-a-grid gameplay. The character is free to roam on all four directions and can jump.
The basics of the idea came from The Binding of Isaac. You travel through 'rooms' (in this case they won't all be square, they differ from room to room) and once you found the boss you proceed to the next world. Each world consists of maps (just like rooms on each level of Isaac). Each world contains at least one Upgrade Shop and two bosses.

Controls:
I wanted to have smooth and easy controls. So with the basic wasd-controls and arrow keys you move around and shoot. You can only shoot in one direction so you can't drive 'diagonally'. The speed of the tank and whether it has a slow start from standing still or not depends on the upgrades you have on it.
Spacebar is jumping, usually just one block high, certain upgrades can higher this.
The keys E, Q, F and R can be used for certain activated abilities, consumables or what not.

The key gameplay element:
The key element, which actually gave it its name, is Scrap.
Whenever you kill an enemy or a crate/container you have a chance of getting scrap. Scrap is your only currency and is vital to your success.
Scrap buys you health, upgrades, consumables, blueprints, ammo and secrets. Most of these things cannot be aquired otherwise except for rare occasions.

Items, Upgrades and Blueprints:
Each item or upgrade in this game will be unlocked through a blueprint. Most of these blueprints have specific requirements to unlock them, the better the item, the harder it is to find the blueprint for it. Once you acquired a blueprint, it will have a chance of spawning in the Upgrade Shop.
The Upgrade Shop allows you to buy Items and Upgrades, Health and Ammo with Scrap. Only a certain number of Upgrades appear in this Shop and these are always random. Some only spawn on later worlds though.
Upgrades can be things like faster fire, a different effect on your bullets, speed and acceleration. Heck, perhaps you can give yourself wings and fly!
So upgrades will vary a lot, I wanted to do my best to keep those varied and interesting, so that each playthrough will be interesting.
So whether your successful at game of Scrappers is heavily depending on your choices and what the game will give you.
I also had the idea of random merchants. These guys rarely appear and sell you a rare upgrade, but they might stab you in the back later in the game.

Worlds, Maps and Bosses:
Each world would be heavily themed to create a certain vibe during gameplay. Each world consists of Maps, these maps don't always have to be cleared from the enemies that roam them, but it would be wise to go for their Scrap. There are maps that 'lock up' until you've cleared the map.
Each world contains an Upgrade Shop, but it's always random where it might be, so you might need to find it quickly if your health or ammo is running low.
The further you get the more maps the worlds will have and the bigger those maps will be.
Each world will have several exits, each exit is 'guarded' by a Boss. Defeating the boss will allow you to pass to the next world it is guarding.
Some special or secret worlds will need certain requirements or random chance to appear.
Image(I used Maurice's viewpoint code to get a visual of this).
This is an extremely small example of what it would look like as a map. (ignore the red and checkered block)
The actual thing would have more flat surface to make combat easier and it would have walls and a background to make it more pleasing to the eye, this simply seems a bit depressing to me. Each map would have nice exits and level design.

The story:
You are a character stuck in a world where resources are scarce. You managed
to find some people you trust to form a group with, to survive.
The lack of resources made humans turn on each other, they use old machines
and materials to build tanks and the likes to kill each other.
You are sent out to try and collect as many scrap as you can while you explore
the place. Your teams dream is to create a safe heaven for people. A fort that
nobody can breech. So they give you, the most experienced driver a stock PAAV
(Personal Armored Assault vehicle).
Will you get back alive with enough scrap to start this Safe Heaven?

Notes:
- It's clear that there will be a need of huge amounts of enemies, upgrades and environment. So this will create the need for a load of sprites.
- I'm not sure if the isometric-action setup of gameplay is as achievable as I want it. I think it is, but it would be very hard, wouldn't it?
- I want a large amount of 'secrets' in this game, I want players to think outside the box a bit more. It makes the rewards ever so sweet.
- A Co-op feature would be a dream, but that's not important until the actual game itself is completed.
- I was thinking of a more interesting storyline behind it... but I kind of forgot it... Sorry.
- And lots more I can't remember right now.

Final words:
So yeah, that's about it for now. I wanted this idea out because I'd love to see this happen, but you all know I'm not a coder and I have a different hobby I want to focus on.
So if anyone wants to take a serious take at this feel free to do so. I will make some sprites every now and then, but I haven't focussed on this in ages (that's why it's here). If you are completely serious about trying to make something out of this I'm willing to help (mainly with spriting and ideas, so simply ask me), but you're free to use this idea for yourself too.
If I tried to code this myself it would just be aweful, as my coding skills might cause the end of the world.
I hope you guys like this idea, feel free to sprout out more ideas if you wish. It's always fun to come up with ideas.
Last edited by Jorichi on 21 May 2013, 20:19, edited 2 times in total.

idiot9.0

Post » 14 Apr 2013, 14:00

If I knew how to code or actually seriously took the time to learn it I'd be all for trying to make this, this idea is fantastic.
I really hope something comes out of this.

Hatninja

Post » 14 Apr 2013, 18:35

i would gladly try to code this
but im not really at the isometric level of programming yet :\

anybody else?
this looks epic

BobTheLawyer

Post » 14 Apr 2013, 18:50

It does look pretty nice.
Love2D is more for 2D games, so I wouldn't want to start with trying to make a 3D game (though it is totally possible)
I'm also trying to make my own game. (an RPG)

But this really does look nice.

Flutter Skye

Post » 14 Apr 2013, 19:03

BobTheLawyer wrote:It does look pretty nice.
Love2D is more for 2D games, so I wouldn't want to start with trying to make a 3D game (though it is totally possible)
I'm also trying to make my own game. (an RPG)

But this really does look nice.
I know what the game is :)
Also the idea is fantastic , i hope someone with coding skills will make it :)

Automatik

Post » 14 Apr 2013, 19:30

BobTheLawyer wrote:It does look pretty nice.
Actually, isometric perspective is 10 times easier than true perspective.
What a 3d engine could make easier for this game? Apart from Z-order.

Qcode

Post » 14 Apr 2013, 19:39

Last edited by Qcode on 21 Oct 2021, 17:27, edited 1 time in total.

BobTheLawyer

Post » 14 Apr 2013, 20:23

I guess I was thinking that the distance would change the scale, but I see from the pictures I'm wrong.

@FP - No you don't. I changed my mind. This is a top down RPG. Based off the same game series, though, but totally different.

Camewel

Post » 14 Apr 2013, 20:33

I would love to code this but you know from experience that is an awful idea.

Hatninja

Post » 14 Apr 2013, 21:34

if nobody else is gonna do it then im gonna try
even with my inexperience and knowledge

Automatik

Post » 14 Apr 2013, 22:05

Qcode wrote:Plus you could just use table.sort to order the z axis. Order the blocks from farthest to closest, and then draw them in that order. Not very effecient, but it's easy and would work.
Better, you can do that at loading, and poof, 0 impact on perf' .

BobTheLawyer

Post » 14 Apr 2013, 22:14

hatninja wrote:if nobody else is gonna do it then im gonna try
even with my inexperience and knowledge
Go for it.

Jorichi

Post » 15 Apr 2013, 00:14

I'm glad you all like this idea. I really wish to get this to something promissing, but for now I'll have to see where this goes.

Camewel, hatninja; You're free to give it a try. I will be psyched if I had a basic engine to play around with and test my sprites.
If you do decide to give it a try and have something to show, please share it with me/us! If there is anything you need in sprites or ideas, you know where to find me.

UnicornPirate

Post » 15 Apr 2013, 07:20

Hi, I love the idea as well and have a very small amount of game coding experience but would love to have a go at your game idea as well or possibly with another coder here.

Shank

Post » 25 Apr 2013, 06:46

This game looks amazing! I'm a big Binding of Isaac fan so I can't wait until you (hopefully) release it.

Jorichi

Post » 25 Apr 2013, 13:57

Nuh-uh, I'm not an addict...
(and this is my third playthrough).

(brace yourself for a bit of my brainstorming).
Anyways, I'm taking different turns with this game. I'm gonna do my best not to copy Isaac too much.
The isometric setting is one thing, but the difference in height in the maps also creates a big difference in gameplay.
Imagine arching bullets or turrets that stand on high grounds and drop their bombs to let them roll down, allot more new things are possible with this.
The dynamic maps will also change traversing the levels a bit harder (instead of having square rooms), which means I could even add floors...
The whole 'single resource' thing is playing a big role in this game too (if not the main); It's your money, health, armor and firepower all in one.
Fast paced and smooth controls will be important as well. The more subtle a game plays, the more pleasing it is to play it (ex: Mario/Mari0, Super Meat Boy, Super house of Dead Ninja's, Spelunky).

I want to create a high replay value and the excitement of discovering something new every time you play it.
That's why I would stuff this game with secrets like a thanksgiving turkey... until it bursts. Most of it will give you Blueprints, others will give you new worlds or even characters/merchants you can find on future runs. Ofcourse there will be unlockables for regular play and such. But the whole randomness of the game would make it hard sometimes for someone to get something specific...

I would reward players who think outside the box, explore and experiment; "What if I pass this map/level without killing anything?", "What if I kill myself in a specific location?", "What if I don't kill that merchant that betrayed me and now tries to kill me?", "What if I shoot the nice lady in the shop, the very first time I see her on a run?", "What if I kill a boss with a weapon that seems like a very poor choice for it?".
And ofcourse, certain actions (or failed actions) can punish you as well...

Which reminds me about this next thing:
I really want to screw with completionists. While there will be tons of Blueprints, I want to add more collectables as well. May it be in a form of 'achievements' or a simple checklist of things you need to do/collect. I want the real completionists to feel the challenge, and not in a frustrating way... It's something I need to work on.
Completing a challenge that's very hard (and not too frustrating) gives a really good sence of accomplishment and relief, I want to try to make that feeling as strong as I possibly can. I really like it when I see someone trying to get an achievement for something next to impossible and then ask them:
"So, what are you going to do with that extra 10G?".

Randomness doesn't always give you what you want, that's why I want to add a mode or two for those who would like it.
Besides the regular mode, the mode that's completely random and starts you out with nothing, there will be a Full Control Mode.
Before you start you will enter a menu where you set settings of which maps you would want, which items you start with, which enemies there will be and which events will or might occur. This will allow for both training and challenge runs.
However, this mode would not allow the player to unlock anything and you can only set that what you already have unlocked/experienced/seen.
But for now that's all just ideas and thoughts.

I would like to hear your ideas on how you would approach this; 'How would you try to keep the player from losing interest?'/'How would you achieve high replay values?'.

ShankYourself.net wrote:This game looks amazing! I'm a big Binding of Isaac fan so I can't wait until you (hopefully) release it.
I really want to get something out of this though. I'm just not sure how to start it.
Like I said earlier; I have no coding experience at all (well, I attempted it and failed horribly) and I would be more than happy with just a basic engine to play around with and test my sprites.
However, I would rather have someone take a full shot at it and stick with me through to the final product (but it seems that's not likely to happen) or anything I would settle with.

We'll see what will happen... we'll see.

Automatik

Post » 25 Apr 2013, 15:22

and I would be more than happy with just a basic engine to play around with and test my sprites.
Download : https://www.dropbox.com/s/9vo178rji3pz5 ... etest.love
The "level" is random.
Add tiles directly in the tiles.png.(They're 51*52, with a margin of 1*52 next. Don't put tiles under other tiles, these will be ignored, the game only take the first row of tile.)
The first tile isn't rendered, It's just air anyway.
The main.lua is just 42 lines.

Jorichi

Post » 26 Apr 2013, 12:37

Awesome Automatik! I can certainly use this to create my tiles.
And I love the earthquake effect, it actually gave me some ideas too...

rokit

Post » 27 Apr 2013, 15:54

i was bored and made this:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/872 ... etest.love

basically it's more "realistic" terrain generation.
the first 3 layers are the ground
and it adds a "random" hill

the hill generation is pretty bad, it's circles stacked on top of eachother with a random radius of 4 to 5
open it a couple of times to see the randomness.

oh btw

the bottom layer is all stone
the 2nd layer is a mixture of stone and dirt (1/7 of it dirt theoretically)
and 3rd is all dirt

edit: i forgot to say, the sprites, the idea and everything is just awesome

Jorichi

Post » 27 Apr 2013, 16:34

Just awesome rokit boy! This really gives me a visual of how it would look like. Great job!

rokit

Post » 27 Apr 2013, 17:08

i was thinking of adding the character. my only problem is that I use a class lib that nobody else here uses. so i was hesitating.
but imma give it a try.
also thanks
Last edited by rokit on 27 Apr 2013, 17:20, edited 1 time in total.

TheJonyMyster

Post » 27 Apr 2013, 17:11

Make sure the block the character is on and the direction are both random.
(I'm sure you thought of this, but just in case)

rokit

Post » 27 Apr 2013, 17:28

i have a question about the character sprite. if he is going to move freeroam, isn't he gonna need 8 sprites?

up, up right, right, downright etc.

i have used that red block with that handle or door as a placeholder

Jorichi

Post » 27 Apr 2013, 17:45

The character can only travel in four different directions, along the lines of the isometric grid (but he won't be fixed to it). So no, I won't need eight, just four.
I will update the sprite sheet later today.

rokit

Post » 27 Apr 2013, 18:16

Jorichi wrote:The character can only travel in four different directions, along the lines of the isometric grid (but he won't be fixed to it). So no, I won't need eight, just four.
I will update the sprite sheet later today.
im confused on what the controls will be.

the only thing i can if of is that up arrow goes upleft, left arrow goes downleft, down arrow goes downright and right arrow goes upright

Jorichi

Post » 27 Apr 2013, 18:39

rokit boy wrote: im confused on what the controls will be.
the only thing i can if of is that up arrow goes upleft, left arrow goes downleft, down arrow goes downright and right arrow goes upright
That's pretty much it, yes. Or up moves you upright etc, it might become an option to switch that (heck, maybe even 7, 9, 1 and 3 on the keypad for those who really need it). You get the hang of those controls pretty easily.
I've considered 8 directions and here is why I didn't do it:
- 4 directions will require you to play more tactically and that's what I'm aiming for. The limitation in controls here is a 'gameplay element'.
- Screws up perspection quite a lot and throws of the style of things in my opinion (yes, I have tried). The player would also be likely to use the horizontal and vertical line more, which are the lines in which the perspective would look weird.
- It will cut my work in half (perhaps even more). I now only have to sprite two directions (upleft and downleft. I mirror for the right ones.). For 8 directions I would have to do Up, down, left, upleft and downleft. And don't forget I would need to sprite every weapon upgrade that changes your appearence... Yes, I am lazy. But it feels like cleaning your house with toothbrush if I would do it, instead of something fun. And motivation plays a big role in projects like this.

I'm open on discussion for this though. But I kind of settled with the 4-directions already.

EDIT: Updated sprite sheet.

rokit

Post » 27 Apr 2013, 23:10

Jorichi wrote:
rokit boy wrote: im confused on what the controls will be.
That's pretty much it, yes. Or up moves you upright etc, it might become an option to switch that (heck, maybe even 7, 9, 1 and 3 on the keypad for those who really need it). You get the hang of those controls pretty easily.
I've considered 8 directions and here is why I didn't do it:
- 4 directions will require you to play more tactically and that's what I'm aiming for. The limitation in controls here is a 'gameplay element'.
- Screws up perspection quite a lot and throws of the style of things in my opinion (yes, I have tried). The player would also be likely to use the horizontal and vertical line more, which are the lines in which the perspective would look weird.
- It will cut my work in half (perhaps even more). I now only have to sprite two directions (upleft and downleft. I mirror for the right ones.). For 8 directions I would have to do Up, down, left, upleft and downleft. And don't forget I would need to sprite every weapon upgrade that changes your appearence... Yes, I am lazy. But it feels like cleaning your house with toothbrush if I would do it, instead of something fun. And motivation plays a big role in projects like this.

I'm open on discussion for this though. But I kind of settled with the 4-directions already.

EDIT: Updated sprite sheet.
makes sense.

also, making this might be quite a learning experience.
i've worked with isometric before, but it used the program "Tiled" and a love lib called "AdvTiledLoader". i am trying to avoid that.
i have made 1 test with isometric. i made my own lib but i lost it since i recently had a format (i also lost all the pokemon code D:).
there are advantages and disadvantages with tiled though
the MASSIVE advantage is it's easy to make a map without writing arrays over and over again. and they don't take up much space (basically a xml file with alot of base 64)

the disadvantage, well, it might need a slight remake and different syntax in general.

so really using tiled will make it easier for everybody (including me)
whenever i made tests with tiled before and it always seemed unprofessional.
you can go have a look at tiled and see what you think.
if not, then i guess a more experienced coder could work on this.
EDIT: I decided to stick to pure lua. tiled sucks at isometric.
Last edited by rokit on 28 Apr 2013, 16:36, edited 1 time in total.

Shank

Post » 28 Apr 2013, 16:04

(Note: I am a stupid kid with stupid ideas so I am just throwing them out there. The only thing I am good at is Math. ASIANS!)
What if the sides of the map don't have holes in them? It looks a wee bit weird. Like so:
Also, What if the earthquake happened in different areas. So, we could have a "war" in Japan or Indonesia where the earthquake happens more often, rather than in the UK. (STOOPID IDEA, just throwing it out there)
Also, as a fellow Isaac fan, I have some ideas (not really). Enemy drops, trinkets, destroyable terrain (rocks, GOLDEN FUCKING POOP and tinted rocks. Don't forget the normal shit), challenges and different characters. I know it's a little early but, just throwing it out there (AGAIN?)

rokit

Post » 28 Apr 2013, 16:43

shank, it's in my version
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/872 ... etest.love it has a randomly generated hill

if you're good at math maybe you could help me out.
i used the midpoint circle algorithm to create a circle and then keep on decreasing it's radius as the z axis goes higher. it's geographically called a "lone mountain".
i trying to add mountains in different shapes but failed (i suck at math). in 3d games like minecraft they generate a random yet round irregular polygon and stack them on top meanwhile shrinking them by 1 block.
if anyone could also help me figure out a formula to turn 2d coords back to 3d that would be good. please.

the 2d to 3d which was written by automatik is as follows:

Code: Select all

(x-y)*tilesize/2,(x+y)*tilesize/2/2-z*tilesize/2+(love.keyboard.isDown(" ") and math.random(-2,2) or 0)
(the math.random bit is for the earthquake so ignore that)
Last edited by rokit on 28 Apr 2013, 16:43, edited 1 time in total.

Jorichi

Post » 28 Apr 2013, 16:43

ShankYourself.net wrote:(Note: I am a stupid kid with stupid ideas so I am just throwing them out there. The only thing I am good at is Math. ASIANS!)
What if the sides of the map don't have holes in them? It looks a wee bit weird. Like so:
-image-
Also, What if the earthquake happened in different areas. So, we could have a "war" in Japan or Indonesia where the earthquake happens more often, rather than in the UK. (STOOPID IDEA, just throwing it out there)
Also, as a fellow Isaac fan, I have some ideas (not really). Enemy drops, trinkets, destroyable terrain (rocks, GOLDEN FUCKING POOP and tinted rocks. Don't forget the normal shit), challenges and different characters. I know it's a little early but, just throwing it out there (AGAIN?)
Automatik's build is a random generator, it was never meant to generate actual terrain. rokit boy's does.
And as for your suggestions:

It won't be actual location based, so countries are out. And there aren't really wars, more fights for resources as the story tells you that resources are running out so people started fighting eachother for their scrap. What I did have in mind were events, at random times certain things happen (ex: Earthquakes, makes your aim less stable). There is likely to be no multiplayer (a small maybe for local co-op) so no PvP play if you meant that. I was thinking of and event that says " *** has declaired war!". And the player will find himself overrun by enemies of a specific fraction or nearby group of survivors, but this is all just an idea for now.

While the core of gameplay is inspired by Isaac I'm trying not to 'copy' it any more than that. The game is a single resource so there aren't any more drops than the standard 'scrap' (and occasional blueprints). So merchants and shops become quite valuable as they might hold everything you need. Destroyable objects will certainly be in, but they won't hold anything else but scrap, a blueprint or even nothing at all. But I'm still working out the details of this idea.
So no trinkets and the likes. There will be passive and active items, there might be two active items but I'm still thinking that out.

Challenges are already considered to be in, simply because I want to challenge the player. It also increases replay value a lot.

Different characters is something I'm thinking about, it will depend on what the possibilities are in general manouverability in an isometric setting (I want the characters to differ quite a bit in controls and not just weaponry to make a bigger change in the way the player plays the game).

My list of 'thinks to figure out' is still quite big, especially the details of it all. But I'm working on this quite a lot lately. So you might see some changes in the main post soon.

Shank

Post » 28 Apr 2013, 16:49

Jorichi wrote:
ShankYourself.net wrote:(Note: I am a stupid kid with stupid ideas so I am just throwing them out there. The only thing I am good at is Math. ASIANS!)
-image-
Automatik's build is a random generator, it was never meant to generate actual terrain. rokit boy's does.
And as for your suggestions:

It won't be actual location based, so countries are out. And there aren't really wars, more fights for resources as the story tells you that resources are running out so people started fighting eachother for their scrap. What I did have in mind were events, at random times certain things happen (ex: Earthquakes, makes your aim less stable). There is likely to be no multiplayer (a small maybe for local co-op) so no PvP play if you meant that. I was thinking of and event that says " *** has declaired war!". And the player will find himself overrun by enemies of a specific fraction or nearby group of survivors, but this is all just an idea for now.

While the core of gameplay is inspired by Isaac I'm trying not to 'copy' it any more than that. The game is a single resource so there aren't any more drops than the standard 'scrap' (and occasional blueprints). So merchants and shops become quite valuable as they might hold everything you need. Destroyable objects will certainly be in, but they won't hold anything else but scrap, a blueprint or even nothing at all. But I'm still working out the details of this idea.
So no trinkets and the likes. There will be passive and active items, there might be two active items but I'm still thinking that out.

Challenges are already considered to be in, simply because I want to challenge the player. It also increases replay value a lot.

Different characters is something I'm thinking about, it will depend on what the possibilities are in general manouverability in an isometric setting (I want the characters to differ quite a bit in controls and not just weaponry to make a bigger change in the way the player plays the game).

My list of 'thinks to figure out' is still quite big, especially the details of it all. But I'm working on this quite a lot lately. So you might see some changes in the main post soon.
I have a question. How is the shop going to work? Will there be a tank trading or will there be a character that gets out of it?

Jorichi

Post » 28 Apr 2013, 17:13

The shop is accesable. You can drive into it and you will be thrown into a menu where you can buy several items that have been randomly selected. Merchants will sell or trade items with you on the spot. Some might betray you afterwards or come back later for more buisness. Every merchant will be different.

Shank

Post » 28 Apr 2013, 17:19

Jorichi wrote:The shop is accesable. You can drive into it and you will be thrown into a menu where you can buy several items that have been randomly selected. Merchants will sell or trade items with you on the spot. Some might betray you afterwards or come back later for more buisness. Every merchant will be different.
WIll you be able to get out of your vehicle? Will there be more vehicles according to what you collect, e.g.: Helicopter, jeep, plane etc.? (SO MANY QUESTIONS, I AM JUST SO PUMPED! PUUUMPED!)
rokit boy wrote: if you're good at math maybe you could help me out.
i used the midpoint circle algorithm to create a circle and then keep on decreasing it's radius as the z axis goes higher. it's geographically called a "lone mountain".
i trying to add mountains in different shapes but failed (i suck at math). in 3d games like minecraft they generate a random yet round irregular polygon and stack them on top meanwhile shrinking them by 1 block.
if anyone could also help me figure out a formula to turn 2d coords back to 3d that would be good. please.

the 2d to 3d which was written by automatik is as follows:

(x-y)*tilesize/2,(x+y)*tilesize/2/2-z*tilesize/2+(love.keyboard.isDown(" ") and math.random(-2,2) or 0)
(the math.random bit is for the earthquake so ignore that)
I'm thinking. I don't have much experience in this so I need like 30 minutes.

Camewel

Post » 28 Apr 2013, 17:30

This is such a good idea, and it has real potential. If it wasn't already taken I could see myself being really motivated to make progress. Especially with there already being so many sprites already made.

rokit

Post » 28 Apr 2013, 17:33

goddamit this whole time i thought i figured out 2d to 3d coords and while i was about to finish collision with hills and jumping i noticed it wasn't right.
anyone good at math please halp.

Camewel

Post » 28 Apr 2013, 17:34

What do you mean by "2d to 3d coords".
Surely that's just adding another axis on.

Shank

Post » 28 Apr 2013, 17:39

Screw it! I time to absolutely dissect and rape the love file.

rokit

Post » 28 Apr 2013, 17:42

Camewel wrote:What do you mean by "2d to 3d coords".
Surely that's just adding another axis on.
basically automatic added a function called coords3dto2d which translates the 3d coordinates into a position on the screen (for drawing stuff)

it's

function coords3dto2d(x,y,z)
	return (x-y)*tilesize/2,(x+y)*tilesize/2/2-z*tilesize/2+(love.keyboard.isDown(" ") and math.random(-2,2) or 0)
end
(the math.random bit is for the earthquake)

in the player for the position i have x,y,z,x2,y2

with x2 and y2 being

self.x2,self.y2 = coords3dto2d(x,y,z)
for the movement i thought to edit the it's x2 and y2 and then set x,y,z using a function which im stuck on called coords2dto3d and math.ceil. so both of them get updated.

i need a coords2dto3d to update the actual xyz of it on the map. x2 and y2 is where it's drawn.

Shank

Post » 28 Apr 2013, 17:50

-
Last edited by Shank on 29 Apr 2013, 12:01, edited 3 times in total.

rokit

Post » 28 Apr 2013, 19:02

you better remove the img tags

Shank

Post » 29 Apr 2013, 09:26

rokit boy wrote:you better remove the img tags
Why?

Jorichi

Post » 29 Apr 2013, 09:32

ShankYourself.net wrote: Why?
This is probably why.

Shank

Post » 29 Apr 2013, 12:03

Jorichi wrote:
ShankYourself.net wrote: Why?
This is probably why.
Thanks for bringing this to my attention.
ShankYourself.net wrote:Will you be able to get out of your vehicle? Will there be more vehicles according to what you collect, e.g.: Helicopter, jeep, plane etc.? (SO MANY QUESTIONS, I AM JUST SO PUMPED! PUUUMPED!)

TurretBot

Post » 29 Apr 2013, 21:48

+1.
Posting here so I can get updates.

Camewel

Post » 29 Apr 2013, 21:51

I'm currently working on my own beta for this (unrelated to ones already posted).
Drawing the player in front of/behind things properly appears to be the biggest issue so far.

TurretBot

Post » 29 Apr 2013, 21:54

Camewel wrote:I'm currently working on my own beta for this (unrelated to ones already posted).
Drawing the player in front of/behind things properly appears to be the biggest issue so far.
Maybe you could look at Ortho Robot's code?

Camewel

Post » 29 Apr 2013, 22:01

Ortho Robot uses orthographic 3D, this is isometric.

Jorichi

Post » 29 Apr 2013, 22:01

ShankYourself.net wrote:Will you be able to get out of your vehicle? Will there be more vehicles according to what you collect, e.g.: Helicopter, jeep, plane etc.? (SO MANY QUESTIONS, I AM JUST SO PUMPED! PUUUMPED!)
You won't be able to exit your vehicle (or at least there aren't any plans for that). And about vehicles: Yes, there will be several different vehicles. Some vehicle changes might come from upgrades, others are starting vehicles.
For example: The tank can have an upgrade to change it to a hovercraft. And the helicopter will be a starting vehicle.
It's all just an idea for now, but I would love to have it in.

rokit

Post » 30 Apr 2013, 23:32

yay i figured out how to draw the player infront or behind blocks.
ill post update tomorrow with collission

Camewel

Post » 30 Apr 2013, 23:36

I'd like everyone to just stop for a second and look at these beautiful blocks.

Just the detail in those blocks is amazing. They're such nice looking blocks.
Last edited by Camewel on 30 Apr 2013, 23:44, edited 1 time in total.