FightYourself

Feel free to showcase your own projects!
HAPPYFACES

Post » 05 Jun 2013, 00:18

I was more or less asking if you were willing to share whatever source stuff you had left, but okay.

Camewel

Post » 05 Jun 2013, 01:03

HAPPYFACES wrote:I was more or less asking if you were willing to share whatever source stuff you had left, but okay.
Why? If it wasn't worth continuing, it wasn't substantial, and there's plenty of other "source stuff" strewn about the thread.

Bubster1300

Post » 05 Jun 2013, 02:04

Just please answer this: What would motivate you to continue the project?

Firaga

Post » 05 Jun 2013, 02:49

Nothing, it's not indev anymore... and it probably won't be for a long time, if ever.

Camewel

Post » 05 Jun 2013, 02:50

Not having 13 exams in the next 2 weeks would be pretty nice.

Since you seem genuinely interested (and quite nice) I feel bad leaving you in the dark, so here was my basic plans for the summer.

Last exam is 24th June. On that day and onwards I have all the free time I need to do things. However, I have other things that I want to do with that time.

Principal thing I'm going to do with the rest of June is make an RPG for a friend called "I like big numbers", the basic premise being that the numbers involved get to ridiculous levels (spawned from a conversation about FFIX having 'ridiculous' numbers). That will end up being streamed, most likely.

I also want to do some speedrunning, mainly Crash games, so that's going to take a fair chunk of my time. Starting July, I'm going to be speedrunning games such as Crash 1 and 2 on stream. Both of these games have very competitive leaderboards, so getting times that are "good" will take quite some effort. I also plan on doing a whole load of other games (such as planning a route for Spiderman 2 speedruns) but I don't really have a timescale for any of that.

Third, I have plans for a game of my own, a 2D game that has intense focus on really complex, easy-to-master controls and smooth animations. That will require insane amounts of tweaking to get playable, even more to be good, so I can imagine that will devour a whole load more time.

If I end up with a load of spare time (which I don't doubt) I can start making progress on this (and that will probably all be streamed too). I'd only come back to this if I had a ready supply of characters to implement (check), a handful of artists to make level backgrounds (check?) and a whole lot of ideas about how the game would handle, as well as a ready team of beta testers.

To answer your question, what would motivate me to come back to this project is getting all of those tickboxes ticked as hard as possible. Kiashi was doing an amazing job of character sprites before (I was using his spritesheet for testing purposes), if someone could make level backgrounds to Kiashi standards then I would be more than motivated.

To clarify on the basic principle, this game is going to be more like Smash Bros than Street Fighter, simply because I never really liked the "press every key to win" style of fighter. It also simplifies it from a design perspective to have some standard (punch in all the directions) attacks and some special (fire balls!? super long tongue lick!?) attacks that are unique to each character.

If I do get motivated I'll make some system where you can design fighter ideas (based loosely around yourself or your OC) and The Team™ will review it and get back to you on any changes that could be made. There'll have to be some balancing done at the end.

In terms of The Team™, all I'd really need is:
One/two character artists, touching up all character sprites to make sure all the characters have a consistant theme.
One/two level designers, so that we can have a wide variety of stages.
One/two music composers, so that the game can have some nice music playing.
An idea guy to post outrageous claims on IndieGoGo
At least 5 people total, so that things like beta tests and character assessments can be done properly.

This post has gone on way more than I thought it would and I've honestly forgotten how it started. If you want to be any of the things on said team, post something in this here thread (examples of sexy backgrounds, music what you have made, long winding post that no-one actually reads about how you're an amazing beta tester) and eventually I'll get back to you.

EDIT: wow firaga you sneaky ninja way to try and ruin everything

TheJonyMyster

Post » 05 Jun 2013, 04:14

That was a great read. Not even kidding, I enjoyed reading that post.

idiot9.0

Post » 05 Jun 2013, 04:25

If and when this project does start up again, I'm more than happy to still help with any form of graphics.

Just throwing it out there.

Bubster1300

Post » 05 Jun 2013, 04:43

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU.
I have a great variety of stuff to do.
NO MORE DISTRACTIONS!!!!!!
\(^_^)/

HAPPYFACES

Post » 05 Jun 2013, 07:06

Chill, friend. Camewel isn't a miracle worker, he's a hard worker. And if anything, this project will probably start again LONG after that post. So breathe calmly, and wait.

By the way, I'm dabbling in all aspects of developing a game. Not quite up to the standards you require, but I've been asking these questions because I feel strongly for this project and would like to help in (Or learn from, that is) its development in any way possible. I do have some PC-Specific gameplay elements that have been boiling in my head for a while, if you'd like to hear them.

Bubster1300

Post » 05 Jun 2013, 07:45

sure, fire away

HAPPYFACES

Post » 05 Jun 2013, 08:18

Sorry, I kinda meant Camewel XD. I'll type it here once he gives the okay. I think it would be a nice thing, but that's for him to say.

Camewel

Post » 05 Jun 2013, 11:55

sure, fire away

Assasin-Kiashi

Post » 05 Jun 2013, 12:27

idiot9.0 wrote:If and when this project does start up again, I'm more than happy to still help with any form of graphics.

Just throwing it out there.
Idiot seems to always beat me to what I'm about to say on this thread. I'll support this as well.

HAPPYFACES

Post » 05 Jun 2013, 12:54

If you've ever played Fight Night Round 3, or any successors, you'll kinda get the idea of this.

Basically, the mouse is your attack input. The way you strike with your mouse determines the power behind your attack, and different combinations can be performed by moving the mouse in certain patterns, like how in FNR3 the thumbstick is pressed in certain directions and certain ways to determine your hand and attack.

To expand upon this for this game, you can use the Mouse 1 & 2 buttons to choose either your hands or feet, or right and left sides. Either way, with the combination of the mouse's movement and buttons, it can literally open up a 360 degree * 2 door of possibilities for attacks. If this is insufficient to give you an idea, I think I can draw something up real quick.

Camewel

Post » 05 Jun 2013, 13:12

If each player needs a mouse, that's local multiplayer out the window. This also sounds very taxing on the mouse itself, given that you'll be moving it around as fast as you possibly can. Also, trackpads.

HAPPYFACES

Post » 05 Jun 2013, 15:38

There are multiple ways to control characters in SSBB. Moving the mouse as fast as possible will probably gain no results as it won't garner a proper pattern most of the time, and trackpads will probably make it easier.

Trist3D

Post » 05 Jun 2013, 20:41

Or you could try using the. 30-something buttons on your keyboard to attack.

HAPPYFACES

Post » 06 Jun 2013, 00:54

It's a different game mechanic, something other than mashing buttons. Seriously, would you rather mash more buttons or try something new?

Camewel

Post » 06 Jun 2013, 01:11

I really don't understand how this mechanic works but it sounds way too complicated for a regular player to pick up and a pain to code, and it only makes attacks harder to land. I really don't like the idea too much. I've already said that this won't be a button masher game, anyway.

Trist3D

Post » 06 Jun 2013, 01:41

It'd be cool if it was during a special mode, so you could do more damage.

Camewel

Post » 06 Jun 2013, 01:56

I think I have an idea of what you want, actually. Something like Okami's brush but in real time? I really don't think it's viable, any way you're planning it.

HAPPYFACES

Post » 06 Jun 2013, 03:21

Check out Fight Night Round 3, gameplay videos, demos and such. You'll get a better idea of it from those. It's literally easier for a player to pick up than I made it sound.
And I made those sounds at 6 AM after attempting to sleep multiple times and failing, so yeah, some of the idea most likely was lost in my grogginess.

Assasin-Kiashi

Post » 06 Jun 2013, 11:41

Personally I don't like the idea, it sounds to complex and difficult to control, and also mainly unnecessary. I don't think it would make the game any more unique, and basic controls are much easier to understand and button mashing only happens when you have too many moves like in the DBZ fighting games. I think we're going for an SSBB aproach so that it has only a few easy to use moves with multiple uses without cramming it with unnecessary attacks.

Costinteo

Post » 06 Jun 2013, 11:57

Sorry for busting in, just wanted to say that I would like to help with anything. Since I'm not experienced with spriting, I think I would fit as a Beta Tester.

popcan12

Post » 06 Jun 2013, 12:25

Costinteo, a beta tester is a hard job. You gotta pay attention to every detail. If you don't, that would affect the whole game entirely. Like if the collison hitboxes are off. But I think a beta tester would be a fun job.

Maurice
Stabyourself.net

Post » 06 Jun 2013, 14:26

As a beta tester, it's your job to walk over literally every spot in the game, then when that one spot made you walk slightly through the ground, write a lengthy report about what you were doing including every single parameter that could be relevant.
Then after the fix is issued you do the same thing again.
Anyone who thinks being a game tester would be fun is a 12 year old kid who has no idea how life works.

Camewel

Post » 06 Jun 2013, 19:01

If by "beta tester" you mean "I want to play the game early then complain about obvious things and leave and demand credit later despite being useless" then that's not going to work (as such anyone with a bad rep will not become a beta tester).

If you want to actually help by being a beta tester, then you'll need to actually like fighting games, because you're going to need to play this game a lot. You'll need to test every combination of characters doing any combination of things and watch closely to see if anything's going wrong. You'll also need to play a lot of matches of the game, just to see if anything weird happens.

Mari0Maker

Post » 06 Jun 2013, 23:28

It does seem like being a Beta Tester would be fun, but trust me, and Camewel and Maurice. It isn't.
I've done it before with a NSMBWii Hack. Not much fun at all.

Camewel

Post » 07 Jun 2013, 00:08

How can beta testing a NSMBWii hack not be fun unless it was made by idiots pretty much everything has already been tested by Nintendo. Beta testing CTGPR was pretty great because that was just playing all the new tracks online in small rooms of good players ie ideal conditions and I don't get how a NSMBWii hack could be any different.

eraykaan

Post » 04 Aug 2013, 20:53

Can i be in it too?
Description: İ'll have a portal gun (duh...) and throw goomba body parts from portals. I also do awesome comboes. (I hope comboes will not be op)

Automatik

Post » 04 Aug 2013, 22:06

Spriting characters:
Character sprites will be done one limb at a time and animated using a program that I am yet to create but will create in the future. It will be linked here when it's made. The basic style of characters (for now) will be of a similar style to Assassin's promo art and they should be around 100*50 as average dimensions.
Also, you have to do them yourself(and it should be good), and have an original character(Not a stickman).

TurretBot

Post » 04 Aug 2013, 23:31

Automatik wrote:(Not a stickman).
But if tesselode comes then you'll allow his stick man...