How did you learn to code in Love?

Feel free to showcase your own projects!
idiot9.0

Post » 02 May 2012, 12:03

Okay, I've been thinking of making my own game for a little while now. However, I have one problem: I don't know how to code.
And seeing as there have been many projects in this section made in it, and also the masterpiece known as Mari0 is made using it, I decided to try making it using Love.
I tried using some video tutorial on youtube to help me out, and while it was informative, it wasn't very useful. And I also tried using the Love2D wiki to help, but I was really put off by it. (call me lazy)

So I now post here with a question for all you: how did you learn to code? What sources did you use? Did you find some sort of online manual, follow some video tutorials, or some other method? I would like to know how some of you experienced people learned, so maybe I can get a better start at learning Love's coding (I know it's Lua, I just prefer saying Love) and maybe make my own little game or something.

trosh

Post » 02 May 2012, 12:24

learn to code in lua, then learn how to apply the love2d framework.
The wiki has a few good tutorials to get started with lua; if you have any previous experience with coding/programming, http://www.lua.org/pil/ is good enough to get started. Get used to lua both in scripting and live command-line usage - make a few simple algorithms, play with the variables, modules, etc.
Then try a few of love2d's tutorials to see how love2d works. Then you should be able to casually go through the wiki to see how elements work together. Always try to go beyond the lesson and apply the knowledge to your own games / scripts, otherwise you'll forget everything you learned. A good way to keep on learning is to have an idea from the start, like "hey I want to make a minesweeper game" and then learning enough to make the basis and learning more and more to make it work faster, look cooler, etc.

Camewel

Post » 02 May 2012, 13:49

I learned lua and LÖVE at the same time just by trying to make things. Try to make a game where you can make a box move around with the arrow keys, you'll learn a fair bit like this. You might want to try making something like BoxGame, that's a nice simple game that will show you around the basics.

BobTheLawyer

Post » 03 May 2012, 02:57

Please, for someone who has NO experience, how do you start?
I know nothing about programming, but I am determined to learn. I really need a basis.
At the moment, I don't even know how and where to put the codes in, if I knew how to translate the programming language at all.

Please help. I really want to try. I just need a base.
Maybe a little start into programming, or maybe even a code to make a small box move around after I learn where to put it.

Thank you!

I really need the help!

Lawnboy

Post » 03 May 2012, 03:06

BobTheLawyer wrote:Please, for someone who has NO experience, how do you start?
I know nothing about programming, but I am determined to learn. I really need a basis.
At the moment, I don't even know how and where to put the codes in, if I knew how to translate the programming language at all.

Maybe a little start into programming, or maybe even a code to make a small box move around after I learn where to put it.

Thank you!

I really need the help!
https://love2d.org/wiki/Category:Tutorials
http://www.lua.org/pil/

trosh

Post » 03 May 2012, 08:00

Thank you!

I really need the help!
open up a txt file in notepad or such, type shit like print("hello") then open the file with lua and then tadaaam you have a script. Once you get used to lua you can go on to LOVE tutorials and such

idiot9.0

Post » 03 May 2012, 11:18

Thank you!

I really need the help!
Not to be mean, but the answer to your post was answered in the 2 posts that were above yours.

Anyway, thanks you guys for helping. Hopefully I can figure everything out. What I'm trying to do myself is make a platformer game. I have a good concept going for it, a basic story planned, and some sprites for the main character and one of the enemies done. It wasn't until I had the sprites done that I remembered I had no idea how to code.
Once I figure out how to make the main guy walk/run and jump, I'll share with you all the plan I have for the game.
Again, thanks for the help.

trosh

Post » 03 May 2012, 11:22

yeah I think it's a good idea to have a precise goal when learning, you're more efficient.
BTW I suggest don't use any love.physics bullcrap, keep to the basics.

idiot9.0

Post » 03 May 2012, 11:26

The moment I read that message, I was gonna try that tutorial on physics, where it uses that. You must be a mindreader.
What would you suggest as an alternative?

trosh

Post » 03 May 2012, 12:18

thinking about how the objects interact in the game (is this a box ? how do I make it bounce ? how do I make it move ? should it have a position, should it have a speed ? etc)